Comedy Central , Sunday Night in USA..Fund raiser for autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

krex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 12:24 am

The following is the post on comdedy centrals website about the up-coming autism fundraiser called ....The Night Of Too Many Stars

It answers peoples question...What is autism?

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/nigh ... tism.jhtml

uhmmm...this is the best we can do for awareness month?(seems more like misinformation month)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Aranittara
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2008, 5:02 am

proceeds go to Autism is Spoken For (Autism Speaks)

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 10:59 am

I first thought they were going to roast autistics (See it's 'Comedy Central') but Jon Stewart is doing it...cool

"One in 150 children is diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and the number of new cases is exploding. There is no cure."

lol

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 11:23 am

eh. I mean i may or may not watch it. Don't really care. There is very little on Sunday Nights here in the States. If it catches my eye when i'm flipping through channels, maybe. But if there's a rerun of "MythBusters" or "Torchwood" somewhere, i'll watch that instead.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 12:37 pm

Aranittara wrote:

To be fair, only a portion of the proceeds go there.

Someone @ Comedy Central wrote:
Funds raised will support new schools that have just opened their doors as well as existing schools that are now developing innovative programs, providing vocational and life skills for teenagers and adults with autism. Proceeds will also support outreach programs that provide training and consultation to families of very young children with autism in their homes.

A portion of proceeds will go to Autism Speaks, ...

It would appear that this event is going to fund programs that embrace a different (perhaps larger) area of the spectrum than Autism Speaks.

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2008, 8:52 pm

oh some goes to autism speaks damn but still most is for autisim awarness and cool we have another rhode islander thats awesome I am from pawtucket.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 10:16 pm

Aranittara wrote:

Had to quote that, it's clever & catchy.

I quite like Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert-they should know better than to succumb to simplistic stereotypical notion of what ASD's are & the range of what people with the dx (in this spectrum) are like. So I'm conflicted about the special-because I enjoy Stewart & Colbert yet I have intolerant attitude towards the overly reduced version of ASD's (and the people who have these dx's) promoted by the media's slant. Watched some of it last year & I just rolled my eyes most of the time (and not in a good way). Sigh...

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 1:57 am

Maxrebo wrote:
oh some goes to autism speaks damn but still most is for autisim awarness and cool we have another rhode islander thats awesome I am from pawtucket.

I've actually been on here for a few months. But yeah, small internet. Always nice to see a fellow Rhode Islander on any forum.

anywho I just saw a commercial for it while That Mitchell and Webb Look was on commercial break and I was flipping through the channels. Tina Fey's involved in it, so i may give it a peak. Alternately, Maroon 5 will perform, and I don't like Maroon 5. At all. They are awful.

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Apr 2008, 10:28 am

Trust me after a while living here for a while you start to hate rhode island because trying to get services here or help for anything is like try to have my autistic brother sit still at the dentist or not get upset everytime he hears some one say Teenage mutant ninja turtles Kowabunga.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:20 pm

It's Jon Stewart... of course I'm watching it...

Last edited by ToadOfSteel on 13 Apr 2008, 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Apr 2008, 7:21 pm

live blogging my reactions on twitter:

http://twitter.com/alexplank

(
http://twitter.com/alexplank/statuses/788511003
http://twitter.com/alexplank/statuses/788509002
http://twitter.com/alexplank/statuses/788507764
)

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:27 pm

You are right about the "comedy is comedy" thing, and as long as you don't actually give money, you don't actually support autism speaks

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Apr 2008, 7:48 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
You are right about the "comedy is comedy" thing, and as long as you don't actually give money, you don't actually support autism speaks

ironically, a lot of it wasn't all that funny.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:55 pm

I think the will farrel bush impersonator was good enough...

Rosie was what turned me off... being openly gay, she should know what its like to be an oppressed minority...

time for john adams

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:44 pm

Haven't watched it yet, but I was greatly amused to see that what Comedy Central chose to air just before the special was the movie "Napoleon Dynamite". The programming monkeys must be growing a sense of humor! :)

Teoka
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2008, 10:54 pm

I'm just pissed that they're giving ANYTHING to Autism Speaks. I was tempted to call and see if I could say something, but I figured it'd be a waste of an effort.

What did Rosie say? I expect to be appalled/annoyed, seeing as everything she says is one or the other.