What makes a nice person a nice person?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 3:30 pm

Discuss. :)

12 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

They don't put innocent people down, they don't make fun of anyone for being different, they apologize, they don't pick on kids or talk nasty to them, they say "excuse me" when they want to get through, they say "please and "thank you."

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 3:54 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
They don't put innocent people down, they don't make fun of anyone for being different, they apologize, they don't pick on kids or talk nasty to them, they say "excuse me" when they want to get through, they say "please and "thank you."

:cry:

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 Apr 2008, 4:14 pm

A nice person shows respect for not only others, but themselves.

Respect, I believe, is the one thing that keeps humanity civilized [well...sometimes we can be a bit wreckless].

To be nice, you must respect and to respect, you must be nice. It's a cycle. :)

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 5:43 pm

I think nice people fundamentally like people. I think when a person feels contempt, it shows.

- Emerson

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 6:03 pm

A nice person shows gratitude and respect. They are without deceipt, ulterior motives, and lying. They do not gossip. They are kind to others, any others, even strangers, without needing to 'show' or asking for something in return. They do not ignore when another is hurt/crying and they listen, not judge. They're not discriminatory and show acceptance based upon another's merit. They do not operate by 'status' or 'power' but my genuine logic. They are polite. If they make a mistake, they apologize with sincerity. They don't hold grudges or make assessments of other's who are in need. They are truthworthy so another doesn't ever have to worry about the 'nice' person using information as arsenal. They try to be supportive, even if it's just listening. Professionally, a 'nice' person acts, well, professionally, using ethics to further the need of their objective without using others or 'cheating' on their data. I think nice people try very hard and are not lazy; giving what they can give/contribute.

I must say, in general, WP inhabitants are probably the 'nicest' group, by definition, I've known. I know Auties/Aspies can be a pain, or maybe that's just endearing - your call. But they are genuine and true. That's nice.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 6:04 pm

I am a very nice person, but I feel that there is something about me that makes people not want to be my friend.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 6:06 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:

Right! Nice people do not exploit those who are vulnerable - they're not bullies. Auties/Aspies do get bullied but nice people feel no need to bully. There is an innocence to autism (regardless of level of functioning). I think our innocence/naivety should be appreciated, not contrived and used as leverage.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 6:09 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am a very nice person, but I feel that there is something about me that makes people not want to be my friend.

Tim_Tex - You are nice. You have friends on WP; I'm one. As to why others may not be your friend in return - unknown. I have the same problem. I think others detect in Aspies our fundamental non forward-thinking and those who are not nice use this against us. But, Tim, I think a real 'nice' person would call you friend. People can be really mean though....sigh.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 8:46 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

I have the same problem on WP. IRL, it's just that I'm so quiet and always on the move or confined to my dorm.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

daveybaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2008, 10:00 pm

I've known people who are nice, but only on surface. Some people claim that they will help you, but then don't follow through. Keeping one's word is what separates the pretenders from those who truly wish good on their fellow man.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 10:02 pm

They care about others
They don't twist words
They are overall honest
They won't interrupt you all the time to be mean
They don't backstab or create/spread rumors
They are polite (within reason) to others, even if they're having a bad day
They don't make a gazillion excuses
They aren't overly sarcastic
They are way too impatient

Hey, I'm nice!! !

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 11:09 pm

I think that a nice person is someone who treats others as they would like to be treated.

I probably define niceness that way because I was raised Christian and that is one of the most basic principles of Christianity.

Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 11:25 pm

A nice person does everything ebec11 does 8O

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 11:33 pm

I have been called rude by the worst of NT's, it consider it a badge of honor, I can give as good as I get, as a rule I am very polite with people

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 11:40 pm

Yoshie777 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I have the same problem on WP. IRL, it's just that I'm so quiet and always on the move or confined to my dorm.

You both are nice and I would like to have friends like both of you, but I feel I don't deserve it, I am actually being more socially akward these days, like I have nothing to talk about in a conversation and people get bored, onilne and IRL.