Would you rather be bullied or ignored?
Bullied 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Ignored 97%  97%  [ 65 ]
Total votes : 67

Seth36
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2008, 7:41 am

Ive had both, and given the option ignored is always more preferrable to walking home and six morons trying to jump you with knives and baseball bats, i dont care how much attention anyone thinks it will bring them, go throught he bullying i did and you'll change your mind pretty damn fast.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 8:56 am

Without a shadow of a doubt I prefer ignored. In fact, my life would be so much better if people who disliked me didn't acknowledge my existence like I don't theirs. Sometimes being alone is awkward, but a lot of the times it's actually nice and certainly better than the alternative.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:55 am

For two years, I was bullied by some very big kids in between classes. I would have preferred to be ignored and be free to go about my business.

However, I knew a girl who was completely ignored, both by classmates and by her family. It was almost as if she didn't exist. I wouldn't want to go that far. If being ignored means to be free to go about one's business without being harassed, then yes. If it means being treated as if you don't exist, then no.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:57 am

I'd rather be ignored by far.... bullying hurts.

Bako
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2008, 10:12 am

If I had to choose between the two, I would go for ignored. There were a fair number of times in school in which I would have appreciated being left alone.

Castaras
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Apr 2008, 10:15 am

Ignored.

Bullying hurts. Ignoring not so much. Seeing as it gives me a chance to be on my own with my own thoughts. =) Also means I don't get funny looks when talking to myself.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 10:17 am

I was ignored. Never bullied worst I got was a lot of bad looks...

weather1man
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2008, 10:18 am

Both hurt, and I've had both. Ingoring is more understandable though. Maybe not to the extent of the example but then again little kids are dumb. I mean it's HARD to interact with me, and if people try and an awkward reply or something it's no fun for anyone. Bullying at this age makes the other person look like crap but it on the other hand always makes them look cooler to some and kills any chance you have with girls every time. So I'd rather neither is my answer. They are both cold tactics.

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 11:06 am

In school, I found that being ignored was torture. I truly couldn't understand it.

I suppose now I've changed my mind. I do not like attention, it confuses me. I find it VERY uncomfortable to have eyes on me. On Mondays and Tuesdays there tend to be groups of twenty-something males outside my office and I have to pass by them in order to get inside. They always stop talking and just watch me pass rather openly, and it is incredibly disturbing. I don't like it.

That sort of thing.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2008, 11:13 am

Your definition of being ignored seems unlikely to occur in reality. Someone can be generally ignored, perhaps close to the situation you describe, but I can't imagine a situation where no one would even reply to you when you speak to them. I can't really choose between the situations you described (both would be absolute hell), but if the choice is between a more realistic concept of being ignored vs. being bullied, I would go with being ignored EASILY. It's a whole lot better to be insignificant than to be used as a whipping post.

rock_head132
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2008, 11:24 am

I would rather be left alone.
It's easier that way.

aries
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2008, 12:00 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Catalyst wrote:
Who the hell would prefer to be bullied rather than being left alone? I've known people who I've described as "begging for a whuppin'", but it wasn't, y'know, LITERAL.

My boyfriend. He says I was lucky I got the bullying because it meant I got attention and I was noticed. He was ignored and that was what happened with him, the way I described being ignored. They talked behind his back of course and said mean things about him like he is stupid and fat and all sort of other stuff. I think he was the lucky one because he didn't get bullied. I told him he would not want to get bullied, it is not fun, but he still says I was lucky.

I wanted kids to be afraid of me in fact because I figured if they were all afraid of me, they leave me alone.

Well if they are talking about him behind his back and he knows than that adds up to the same as bullying doesn't it? It's not really ignoring him. He hears the hurtful comments and criticism all the same but worse he can't do anything about it! They can easily deny it and he looks like the mentallist or the bad guy.

I can't see how being properly ignored i.e. not spoken too, not spoken about would be worst than bullying on any level. It wouldn't be nice if you needed social contact but definitely the lesser of two evils by some margin.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 12:50 pm

I'd rather be ignored.

But when I was bullied, ignoring was part of bullying, it wasn't a separate thing.

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2008, 12:52 pm

Ignoring someone, for no good reason, is a form of bullying. This is even if we are not bothered by being ignored. I'd much rather that form of bullying than the obvious kind though.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 3:02 pm

I am the one that said Bulled. It would give them an excuse to punch them one. Or capture the behavior on tape and show it to the relevant people

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:16 pm

When being ignored, we don't get forced into insanity as fast. Unless we badly need attantion as a matter of life or death or something. Which a person like me never fit in really. I'll take the ignored option any day.

In bullying, we have to look forward to gossip, name calling, demaning messages, blackmail, mind play, hitting and kicking, death threats, ect. I also have had both. Bullying can more easily kill or drive a person into dark vengance. I think it's a form of turture.