uuugghhh!! !! filling out applications for work! I hate that!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 12:09 pm

I hate filling out those f*****g things! Always the same questions over and over and over again!

I don't see the point in filling those things out, since I already have a resume! Is it really necessary to fill out all the employment history garbage, or can I just say "see resume attached".

Nothing pisses me off more than having to fill out a bunch of crap that is already stated in my resume.

What is the socially appropriate thing to do? This is for your typical minimum wage job.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 12:18 pm

Just fill it out how they want it, AND attach a resume, that way it looks like you want the job. I've heard this from many employers, if they are looking through a pile of applications, the ones with resumes are reviewed first.

Make sure the most recent reference is a good one, they probably won't call the others.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 12:49 pm

Don't attach Resume/CV if they ask you not to. That is guarenteed to piss them off. Usually the application form is a substitute for the CV but in the format they like it (at least in the UK). 'No CVs' means no CVs. Also it weeds out people who are just spamming CVs to applications without much thought.

I find them a pain too, but if you are already doing cover letters these things are a necessary pain. They can actually be more successful if you do a good job.

Some of them are surprisingly self defeating, which gives me a little chuckle.

My number one pet hate is either changing the person specification when then they send you an application or not providing enough info in the job ad, generally making it really vague and misleading so if it is no longer relevant when the application arrives. This mainly happens with postal applications.

Personally my favourate format is the usual CV and cover letter but with a separate form for equal opps. That is a good compromise. It probably saves them time and gives them a better idea of the candidate.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 2:07 pm

most jobs entail doing things that aren't fun, and require some effort. If you can't finish the application, you're not going to like working...;)

honestly, they're a pain, and knowing about all the trick questions and answers is a bigger pain. But you're always going to be in competition for any job, so if you show you will go 'above and beyond', that will ease you up the line.