Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 2:57 pm

Why would Management put me under a supervisor who has different (and very often conflicting and/or opposite) goals from mine in their job description? If there's one thing that's hard for me in life is to understand hidden logic.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 4:17 pm

The wonders of bureaucracy. It is probably simple illogic. Your supervisor needed someone to supervise, and HR did not see any conflict.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 1:10 pm

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm really puzzled about this...!

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

15 Apr 2008, 1:51 pm

Hi Greentea, I think Mudboy might have a point. I don't know the specifics of this case, but it is entirely possible that an arbitrary decision was made without consideration of possible problems between you and your new supervisor. It's also possible that someone thinks that you need to be brought into line as a team player. Sometimes social bs is considered more important than getting results.

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2008, 1:57 pm

Maybe we could apply the Peter Principle here. ""In a Hierarchy Every Employee Tends to Rise to His Level of Incompetence" basically, I don't know the situation, so don't get mad at me if it's not the case, but perhaps you were doing well, so your managment gave you a harder task, which you couldn't do. That's the Peter Principle for you.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 2:10 pm

We are a whole department working in these conditions. We work for X but Y is our boss. X and Y have different, extremely often conflicting/opposing goals within the company. So we're constantly told both by X and by Y to do as they say or they'll recommend our dismissal to the higher ups.

Why can't a person just do their work, work hard and get a salary. Why does it all have to be about intuitive knowledge of how to behave. Aspies without skills in work that can be done alone don't stand a chance of survival in this world.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

15 Apr 2008, 2:35 pm

Greentea wrote:
Why can't a person just do their work, work hard and get a salary. Why does it all have to be about intuitive knowledge of how to behave. Aspies without skills in work that can be done alone don't stand a chance of survival in this world.

Because, all too often petty minded D**kheads get promoted on the basis of blowing smoke up the bosses ass as opposed to actual ability. These type of people generally consider it more important to have their outsize ego stroked, than it is to have an effective crew.