Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2008, 7:22 pm

I used to spin all the time and I still do sometimes.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:27 pm

Somehow the warm weather this week has made me absolutely lust for it. :compress:

For some reason I get my greatest urges to spin after eating, with the obvious negative effects...

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:31 pm

Do we have this spinning thing mixed up? Don't most kids like to spin? I really think this isn't exclusive to autism. My son spins in the same way I used to--just for the feel of it.

I always remember my siblings spinning--we would put blindfolds on and spin away. We had a pole in our basement, and we'd spin around that pole endlessly until our hands burned. We did it to music, or when we we're thinking about what to do--anytime.

My son was diagnosed with a spectrum disorder, and he spins--but I don't think it's because he has autism! I just think he loves to spread his arms, look up to the ceiling and spin like kids do. Now, if he wanted to spin cups and plates constantly then I'd attribute that to autism. Honestly, I've never witnessed an autistic person spinning. I have noticed them spinning objects, but not their bodies.

I just think kids like to spin. As adults we learn what's socially appropriate and we don't spin anymore. Honestly, when I see an adult swaying back and forth on their heels, I think it's a bit strange. I don't think oh, they must be autistic. These particular adults I've observed are normal in every way--speech, mannerism--yet, they rock back and forth. It just seems odd to me for a professional to be rocking back and forth as if they were rocking a baby. I don't see this in males--only the females.

equinn

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:47 pm

Yes, I would tend to agree there's nothing necessarily autistic about the joys of spinning. Although my impression at this point is that it can be a particular form of self stimulation for people with ASD, i.e. for people with ASD it satisfies a particularly ASD related function.

It would be interesting to know of people in general can still enjoy spinning into adulthood if it were not crushed out of their souls :chin:

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:59 pm

so harsh. funny.

yes, I suppose spinning for the sake of spinning might be okay if you're on a dance floor or in the privacy of your own home. I have wood floors and can sit and spin nicely.

I used to dance and spin to music--but not anymore. I guess it's been, as you say, crushed out of me. I live in the cold realm of maturity--bills and global issues all get me down. Too much knowledge is never a good thing. It makes one ponder deeply and these things are not easily forgotten. Spinning for me, then, is not foremost on my mind. Although I have been known to spin on the ice (I"m quite good).

My son spins away blissfully unaware--how wonderful--this thing called youth.

You've got me thinking--I'm sure to try one spin before the night is over. -- :lol: thx.

equinn