Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:37 pm

Does anyone (or anyone's kids) spin? And enjoy spinning?

I just learnt it's self-stimulating behaviour.

I've spent ages spinning as as child!

I spun until I couldn't hold myself upright any more from exhaustion. My mother would frequently freak out that I could break something again... not to blame her, she never quite got over it because I broke tons of stuff in our apartments by handstands, jumping and spinning of course.

I only stopped after being punished for stims in my teen years.

However, I still love spinning! I just get a crazy urge to spin, spin, spin...

I dance ballet, which is the perfect excuse for taking at least a spin or two in public at age 20. I can say that it's 'Just training' haha.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

yes

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 3:51 pm

yes,still do it now.
am like any sort of fast body movements,am like swings as well,its unfair that they only make playgrounds/parks for either children or really old people.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 4:26 pm

Used to do a lot of spinning as a child. Teachers couldn't pry me out of the swingsets, and I can't count the number of rocking chairs of various types I've literally worn out and replaced. My fallback stim is a hands in hip-pockets side-to-side sway, in a sort of infinity ellipse, much like what Stevie Wonder does. When that's too socially inappropriate, I replace it with a front to back rocking on the balls of my feet.

When I was a kid, my Mom would make me sit still in church. Then my leg would start bouncing and vibrate the entire pew. Got a lot of dirty looks from other people on the bench, but I couldn't help it, stop one stim, another pops up, like sticking a finger in a dike.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 4:36 pm

OMGOSH I looooove spinnning, thats one of my fav stims hehe

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 4:52 pm

I know a little boy with LFA who loves to spin anything he can get his hands on. In fact, that's his reinforcement for working in school- one minute of work for one minute of spinning a ball.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 5:50 pm

Damien LOVES spinning!! !! !! !! !! !! He will spin himself and loves things that can turn (taps/faucets area fav) He will spin things infront of his eyes, again almost anything like from tree twigs to my necklaces.
I don't mind him doing it but have to watch him so he doesn't spin into anything and hurt himself.

Fayed
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2008, 6:05 pm

i loved spinning as a kid. Still Do. Especially under ceiling fans. It's a great feeling.

Over the summer one of the campers ( autie) started spinning in the rec hall. During Pre-camp, they said you can join a kid when hes stimming, so i joined in. Was a blast, first time in years where spinning = socially acceptable.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 6:06 pm

I love spinning, especially while sitting on a chair ! ! :compress:

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 6:32 pm

I spin whatever I can find that can spin.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:03 pm

i used to spin a lot and i really enjoyed it. now i don't spin because people think it's weird, although i still spin objects or watch spinning objects (fans, wheels, etc).

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:05 pm

I think I used to as a child, I don't so much anymore. One thing I did always love, and still do, is submerging myself in a pool and spinning as fast as I can sideways.

My son loves spinning, he always wants me to pick him up and spin him, but I get dizzy.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 7:56 pm

I was wondering if that is what you meant. I DID do it from time to time up until perhaps 8. I don't know if I could call it a STIM, but it was a bit unusal and I liked it.

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 8:03 pm

My grandson, age 6 (PDD-NOS), LOVES to spin! They say it's a proprioceptive and vestibular need. He literally does not get dizzy - the OT will spin him on the swing, six sets of ten spins, before she'll see any sign of dizziness in his eyes! If he doesn't get regular vestibular and proprioceptive input, it takes longer to get dizzy. He spins his way up and down the aisles in stores. He also loves to jump on the trampoline, or even to just be on the trampoline while someone else is jumping. Swinging on swings of any kind is also great.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 8:07 pm

don't mind if I do. weeeeee :)
Its my preferred stim, since childhood, only now I just spin my computer chair, it still go's weeeeeee

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2008, 8:16 pm

I like spining and swaying! There is a chair that leans back and spins easily in the library that I love to spin around in. I remember that I would spin all the time in my parent's computer when I was a child so much that I remember them admonishing me that I'd get sick and dizzy. I loved swings so much as a kid.

Noramlly I sway from side to side to side now, and I rock back and forth slightly. When I'm at home I'll spin around a few spins on my tiptoes. I stim a lot, but somehow I've either managed to make it just at social acceptability or I don't notice the reactions.