Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:16 am

ooooooooooo... 8O OOOOOOOO...

I keep hearing about people who are "still killing" even though they have passed on. My first discovery was a right-wing article about how Rachel Carson was on a postmortem killing spree by means of malaria. Other people who are "still killing": Karl Marx, the Columbine shooters (via copycat crimes), sex doctors Alfred Kinsey and Sigmund Freud (via AIDS, I think), and Albert Einstein (atom bomb).

The real question here: Do ideas kill people? Karl Marx can only kill from the Other Side if the idea of communism is what is doing the killing, not the communists themselves.

Is this "still killing" business a simple rhetorical device not to be taken seriously, or a chilling demonstration of the power of ideas?

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:29 am

It's a rhetorical devince.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 9:20 am

Ideas can lead to deaths, so the power of ideas should not be entirely discounted, but to some extent it is a rhetorical device employed against people with ideas that are disliked by others. Karl Marx is usually considered the great killer by ardent capitalists, Darwin so by creationists, etc. Really, it is hard to ascribe actual deaths to ideasmiths though, as any idea, even a correct idea by someone just seeking truth can lead to deaths.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2008, 12:03 pm

A drunk driver who kills a young person has prevented that person from having children. Which means no grandkids, great-grandkids, etc. Shall we try them for thousands of murders?
Also, a bad idea can lead to something good. A good idea can lead to bad actions. Look at Nobel's invention, dynamite.
People such as the Columbine killers are only responsible for the people they personally killed. Others who copy them are responsible for their own actions. Similarly, if a person who heard about the Columbine killings was inspired to do something good like raising money for victims of violence, we would not and should not give credit to the killers!

Teoka
Raven
Raven

15 Apr 2008, 1:47 pm

What the hell does Kinsey have to do with AIDS? That's just plain ignorant.

Aspie score: 159 out of 200

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 3:28 pm

Teoka wrote:
What the hell does Kinsey have to do with AIDS? That's just plain ignorant.

I heard this secondhand on PBS: "Some conservatives say that sexual psychologists like Kinsey and Freud brought so-called deviant sexual practices, such as homosexuality, into the open, thus setting the stage for the AIDS crisis, abortion, and the rising divorce rate."

I don't even know where to begin. Someone take over for me. :roll:

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 4:11 pm

"Homosexuality is assuredly no advantage, but it is nothing to be ashamed of, no vice, no degradation, it cannot be classified as an illness" - Sigmund Freud

"The only unnatural sex act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals." - Jerry Falwell

Now, obviously Freud and Kinsey brought about more tolerance for homosexuals, and as Jerry Falwell notes, AIDS is a societal punishment against a society that tolerates homosexuals. So, really, how could anyone deny the evils brought upon us by Alfred Kinsey and Sigmund Freud.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 4:33 pm

Typical double talk. On one hand, conservatives like to focus all responsibility on the individual and deny all collective responsibility when it comes to things like slavery or smoking. But if we are examining the sins of the communists or Muslims or evolutionists, then suddenly guilt by association and thought crime (in the absence of any physical action) are things they believe in.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Apr 2008, 6:02 pm

This has been going on since Adam :wink: Unto the seventh times seventh... generation etc ...

Think of the damage caused by the wheel. Whoever invented that has a lot to answer for.

And language; whoever first took a broken voice signal and used the bits for syntactical construction caused all the wars of religion. :lol:

8)

Last edited by ouinon on 16 Apr 2008, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:20 pm

monty wrote:
Typical double talk. On one hand, conservatives like to focus all responsibility on the individual and deny all collective responsibility when it comes to things like slavery or smoking. But if we are examining the sins of the communists or Muslims or evolutionists, then suddenly guilt by association and thought crime (in the absence of any physical action) are things they believe in.

Yeah, but both liberals and conservatives are strong in group think. Individuals should take responsibility for their individual actions. People should be held accountable for their actions as individuals, not as collectives. However, individual responsibility also means taking into account the rights of other "collectives". Right now, it's not like that at all. People wanna divide themselves into collective teams, and piss away all their personal responsibility, because it's easier to blame an outside collective of people. People are so mentally lazy because of propaganda that they'd rather just point fingers. Nobody wants to admit to their "collective's" faults, and when someone points them out to them, they get overly emotional and defensive. People don't want to be equal, they want to be "superior" to other collectives. And people DEFINE WHO THEY ARE as a collective, they embrace a collective mind of ignorance, while denying themselves a true, genuine, self identity.
Yeah, I'm aspie, but I'm not every aspie on the planet. Same goes for genders and races and nationalities and what not, both "majorities" and "minorities". If a NT criticizes aspies, I listen to the criticism, see if it's true or not, but I don't get overly emotional and defensive about it. Because aspies, just like NTs, are human. There is a difference between criticism and discrimination. I think people tend to forget that.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 6:25 pm

Ideologies and doctrines just imprison peoples' minds, and in so doing, eliminates compassion for so-called "opposition" (which are just people who are in another mental prison called ideology, one that is opposed to their transgressor's). There is no single one ideology that is full-proof. It'd make more since to cherry pick the good parts from various doctrines or belief structures, than to follow any of them in whole. Ideology or doctrine is the enemy of compromise. They are all bias towards some demographic or another, and they keep people ignorant and divided.
I mean, your not really free when your every thought (which conducts behavior) is dictated by a system in your mind. Because then your not free to question it objectively, hince, your not free to think.

Teoka
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2008, 4:42 pm

...I cannot begin to spell out the ignorance of some of you =_=

AIDS is not limited to the LGBT community. If it was a "gay" disease, it would be limited to said group. But it's not. Jerry Falwell is a bigoted bastard. What Freud and Kinsey did were way ahead of their times.

Calling it a "deviant practice" is even MORE ignorant. It's not a mental disease, it's who someone is attracted to. No different than heterosexuality.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 4:52 pm

Teoka wrote:

AIDS is not limited to the LGBT community. If it was a "gay" disease, it would be limited to said group. But it's not. Jerry Falwell is a bigoted bastard. What Freud and Kinsey did were way ahead of their times.

Calling it a "deviant practice" is even MORE ignorant. It's not a mental disease, it's who someone is attracted to. No different than heterosexuality.

Are you speaking about me? My entire post was a joke, perhaps I was not as obvious as I should be. I think that MissPickwickian was not trying to necessarily draw connections that were real so much as simply create connections that some groups invoke. I don't think that she nor I think in the manner that you seek to rebut.

Teoka
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2008, 4:54 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Teoka wrote:

Are you speaking about me? My entire post was a joke, perhaps I was not as obvious as I should be. I think that MissPickwickian was not trying to necessarily draw connections that were real so much as simply create connections that some groups invoke. I don't think that she nor I think in the manner that you seek to rebut.

Oh, not you :)

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:45 pm

monty wrote:
ike slavery or smoking.

uh...what?

*clutches pack of american spirits*

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 9:22 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Teoka wrote:

Ah, A.G., you must make no sarcastic posts on WP, you are among my people, who take all things literally. :alien: