Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gabbaruchi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2008, 10:58 am

I can never be sure. Especially if I see someone outside the area I normally see them. I used to do on-site computer work. It was great, because I knew everyone at every place, and remembering who was whom wasn't hard. But sometimes a client would drop by the shop to pay a bill or buy something. Whenever that happened I usually managed to mistake them for someone else. I learned to either hide around the corner or discuss non-specific things with them until I was 100% sure I knew who it was. And even then sometimes I got it wrong!

My wife once got a haircut that looked rather like the same haircut as a girl at my high school had years earlier. When she did that, she looked EXACTLY like that girl in my mind, until I dug out the yearbook and saw that the haircut was really the only thing in common... That was disturbing enough that she's never cut her hair like that again.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:01 am

Greyhound wrote:
I'm not face-blind, but I do have difficulties recognising people.

When I worked in a shop, I sometimes had to leave a customer while I fetched/checked/did something. Then, when I came back, they had sometimes moved to look at something while waiting and I often didn't know who I had been serving (which was a bit embarassing). If I remembered to do so, I would take a quick look at their clothes, shopping bags, hair etc., but sometimes I would forget to do that or forget the details or someone wearing/carrying something similar would go and stand nearby.

Sometimes I had to sort of stand there looking confused as if I couldn't see anyone and wait for them to tell me that they were there. Sometimes I had an idea who it was, but couldn't be sure, so I had to be careful to avoid eye contact with them, otherwise it would look strange if I was staring at them but not doing anything about it.

Once in secondary school, I was really surprised when I found out that one of the lunchtime supervisors were actually two different people! They were around the same age, did the same job, had similar hair styles had similar(ish) voices etc. and I hadn't seen them together before. I was shocked! :lol: However, seeing them together, I could see that they were actually quite different.

Anyone else? :)

Actually, that does sound like face blindness. Prosopagnosia isn't just the extreme where there's a complete inability to recognize people, it's a spectrum itself and in general is defined by a deficit in face recognition. So some people might have a complete inability to recognize people, others may have a lot of difficulty recognizing people but it's not impossible, and others might only recognize people once they get to know them (family, friends) but have a hard time with new acquaintances. That's face blindness, there's just different degrees.

Atomsk wrote:
I recognize faces really really well (even years after last seeing the person), but I can rarely place a name to the face unless I know the person really well.

That's me. Fantastic memory for faces, but s**t at names.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

telrad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2008, 11:29 am

I have extreme difficulty recognizing faces, particularly if I only meet the person once or twice. I have always attributed most of the problem to my not making initial eye contact.

If I never had a good look originally, I guess I could not expect to remember the face afterwards.

Binarycow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2008, 12:15 pm

Other than people I have some form of relationship with (coworker, friend, etc), I can't really remember people.

I'm in the Army, and everyone wears a nametag (thank god), and I still can't recognize people. I remember unusual names tho. At our base, we have a Woodcock (female), fa***t (male), Major Dick (male - name with rank) to name a few.

I don't remember if I've seen someone before, unless there is something unusual about them (wearing uniform improperly, ... markedly nice physical features o.o..., etc) Even then, I generally dont remember their face.

And of course, I can NEVER put a face to name unless I know them well.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:44 pm

I have the same problem. One of my very first memories is at the age of 3 when I was in nursery school and we had to walk with a partner to the local primary school to hear a story. On the way back for some reason I had lost my partner and the teachers asked me who my partner had been on the way. I looked around at all these little blank faces which all looked exactly the same to me and didnt know which one had been my partner. I guess this also highlights the fact that I didnt have any friends at that age, otherwise someone would have come forward to claim me!

When I first started secondary school it took months for me to distinguish between all the boys in my class (the girls were easier as they had different haircuts, but the boys were either brown/black haired or blonde (and one redhead who I could recognise solely for this fact) and otherwise the same). My sister has the same problem, but she is definately NT, so its not just an Aspie thing, but probably linked.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:55 pm

Some films and TV programs can be difficult too - if there are a load of men in suits, for example, all with similar hair, I can get a bit confused as to who's who.

Names can be difficult too - I might remember a bunch of names and get to know the faces, but putting the names back with the faces can be confusing for a bit.

At one place of work, for example, there were (I won't use full names):

Bb
Ma
My
Ge
An
Ml
Kt

- I got Bb straight away because he had a moutache and always wore one of three identical blue t-shirts - thanks Bb! :).
- I thought Ma was My and My was Ma - they were both black, but were completely different (I could tell them apart, I just got the names the wrong way round).
- I thought Ge was called Aw, even though there wasn't an Aw (both names remind me of a crayon).
- An I remembered.
- I don't think I was certain of Ml.
- Kl I think I got easily.

The faces weren't too difficult to remember. The slightly tricky ones were My, Ma and Ml. Bb was easy.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:59 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
I'm horrible at recognizing faces! Same with remembering names. You can only imagine how much the bullies used to have that advantage over me when I was younger...

I could never be sure either.

'Who hit you?'
'I don't know...'
'Well, I can't help you then'
'But they hit me'
'Yes, but until I know who hit you, I can't do anything about it'

Logical, really, but when you're in the situation, it's horrible.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! The only things that were able to help me is if there was something very noticible about them (like a pig nose) or by what they were wearing. It's a good thing none of my schools ever had uniforms! :wink:

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:00 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
I'm horrible at recognizing faces! Same with remembering names. You can only imagine how much the bullies used to have that advantage over me when I was younger...

'Who hit you?'
'I don't know...'
'But they hit me'

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! The only things that were able to help me is if there was something very noticible about them (like a pig nose) or by what they were wearing. It's a good thing none of my schools ever had uniforms! :wink:

Mine did, and I went to the biggest all-girls school in Europe :lol:

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:16 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:

'Who hit you?'
'I don't know...'
'But they hit me'

lol That must've been awful! For the girls at my schools, everyone's always pretty much looked the same. Until last year, I was always the shortest and thinnest one. I don't know why everyone at my school now is all of a sudden shorter. I haven't grown or gained any weight in at least a year! Weird.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:28 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:
Greyhound wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:

'Who hit you?'
'I don't know...'
'But they hit me'

lol That must've been awful! For the girls at my schools, everyone's always pretty much looked the same. Until last year, I was always the shortest and thinnest one. I don't know why everyone at my school now is all of a sudden shorter. I haven't grown or gained any weight in at least a year! Weird.

lol

It wasn't too bad, I got used to it. You could walk across the school grounds, and most of the people would be unfamiliar...but then again, I may have known them, but not recognised them :lol:

There used to be two girls who used to look similar. They also sounded similar. It was difficult telling them apart. Well, it wasn't if they were together, but they usually weren't. I was giving the science books out once and this group of people were laughing at me because I'd given Danielle's book to Anna. Anna said 'why have you given me Danielle's book?' with a frown and a really disapproving tone.

I think I might have mumbled something about looking alike, and I think someone said something like they don't look at all alike, which is when I realised that they really didn't look alike. I was extra careful in future.

I often find people seem to come in 'pairs', even if they don't look similar or don't have anything to do with one another except that they're at the same place/found in the same context. This is confusing.

Castaras
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2008, 1:37 pm

Funny, I'm actually very good at recognising faces. Awful with names though.

I have to learn the name first before seeing the face to be able to learn names easily.