Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

archdude
Raven
Raven

16 Apr 2008, 12:44 am

I don't always get other people's sarcasm (at least not at first, though I usually do get it when I think about it afterwards). I don't like sarcasm that is deliberately hurtful and I try to avoid using that myself. But I do enjoy being sarcastic at times, or hearing other people's sarcasm when its not hurtful and I do get it. I find a lot of sarcasm funny and laughter is one of the few things that keeps me from going completely insane.

BTW, even though his sarcasm is hurtful and I wouldn't like such a person in real life, I do get a lot of laughs from Comic Book Guy on _The Simpsons._ "Oh a sarcasm detector! _THAT'S_ a really useful invention."

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:54 am

Sarcasm is not something that I am very good at using. Sometimes I try to say something slightly sarcastically and the way it comes out, people believe me instead of realising that I am joking. I dont use it in a hurtful way though.

floaty
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2008, 2:02 am

I'm often accused of being sarcastic when I'm not, I'm just being sincere. Maybe I use the wrong tone of voice or something but people end up thinking I mean the opposite to what I'm really saying.

oxes

16 Apr 2008, 2:35 am

i'm sarcastic all the time. i have been for years.

it has developed to the point that i dont even do it in a sarcastic tone anymore, and i just say things as if i mean them. its confusing to people who dont know me, sometimes. some part of me thinks it is funny otherwise i wouldn't be doing it.

example: i was talking to one of my new roommates as we were all walking towards someone's car, and we were passing a university construction site (lots of construction going on right now at the campus) and i said something about how my back hurts from putting in all that asphalt today. one of my roommates didnt even blink and asked me right away "since when do you work at plant ops?" (this is the name of the university utility operation that does some of the construction).

basically i'm so good at it that there's no way i would stop, it just wouldnt be as fun anymore.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2008, 4:33 am

sarcasm is funny. A lot of people mistake being negative or pessimistic or just insulting people for sarcasm, which its not

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2008, 5:57 am

Even if I may somewhat admore people that make great sarcastic comments on TV (Simon from American Idol, and the character House), I have a hard time using it.

If it's not related to a person I know, I can dish it out. I love picking on George Bush and related things...

But when it comes to people nearby, either irl, or the net, then I don't like to hurt people. :(

A lot of time I will forwarn people by tagging "Sarcastically speaking" somewhere in my statement to let them know I am not entirely serious.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2008, 6:09 am

a lot of times irony or play on words or such can be mistaken for nasty sarcasm as well, or taken literally. New to the world of message boards I'm learning too that its best to just be straightforward and avoid all joking in messages posted because people take things the wrong way, you don't see the expression or tone of the person delivering the words.

Like when Simon Cowell said, after Paula Abdul's music video was shown; "That was like every color in the universe!!" that was an example of funny sarcasm, you could tell he was being sarcastic by his face and tone and that he was playing into a previous conversation they had.

Most of the time he is being outright mean, not sarcastic. Just because he puts his criticism in a colorful or witty way doesn't mean its sarcasm.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 10:27 am

People hardly realise when I'm being sarcastic, some are a little slow to catch on things. :wink:

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 10:39 am

No offense Dinko, but I think I've seen you use some sarcasms in posts. :?

I have to agree, I don't like hurtful sarcasm even though I'm a little guilty of it. :oops:

I also have to say too that there's a difference between personally offensive sarcasm and sarcasm for humor's sake. Yet sometimes they can both easily be misconstrued. :shrug:

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:41 am

MissConstrue wrote:
No offense Dinko, but I think I've seen you use some sarcasms in posts. :?

I have to agree, I don't like hurtful sarcasm even though I'm a little guilty of it. :oops:

I also have to say too that there's a difference between personally offensive sarcasm and sarcasm for humor's sake. Yet sometimes they can both easily be Missconstrued. :shrug:

You can say that again :lol: . I wont deny that I have used sarcasm but when I do use it I primarily use it as a comeback
OR to mock people who are saying something that is blatantly untrue-the reason I respond to that with sarcasm is to let the person who's promulgating it know that I am not fooled by them. So its a comeback against those who insult my intelligence.
But in person or when talking to somebody one-on-one I RARELY use it unless Im feeling annoyed or insulted. If people on the net werent so sarcastic and socially combative Id be less inclined to use it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:42 am

^Strange, I feel the same way on the net more so than in the real world. I should probably try not to take things so personal, yet it's so hard not to. :x

That wasn't sarcasm BTW.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 12:11 pm

Sar-chasm topic

I tend to be either sincere or use irony in my posts. Sometimes I can be a little self righteous when it comes to ideas I feel strongly about. When I do this, I get sarcastic replies from people I was not speaking to in the first place. Suffice it is to say I will not be replying to their sarcasm and I will not write to them directly.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

MJD
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2008, 2:58 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Mais celui-là n'est pas assez bien écrit.

Oui, mais tous les claviers a cette bibliotheque sont americain :D

I will stick to english, it's much easier to write. lol

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:37 pm

Sarcasm, like absinthe, is okay in small doses.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 6:28 pm

I don't care about sarcasm. I agree with the OP. There are lots of sarcastic people around my area, and most of them seem to be 35 and younger. I hate it.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 4:14 am

A friend I used to have was always sarcastic and always sounded like he was sneering at people; he seemed to think he was superior in some way though underneath I know now that that probably wasn't true because he is now severely depressed and alone.