need intellectual college with noncompetitive admissions

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 7:35 pm

Do you know of any liberal arts colleges with the following:
-a tight-knit, communal feel, like it's a little town full of young people
-an intellectual environment (more book clubs than frat parties)
-a reasonable price (<40,000$ at the absolute most)
-pretty noncompetitive admissions, or else "holistic" admissions (they care more about your essays and personality than your GPA)

Do not say St. John's, Hood, or Sewanee. I am already obsessed with them.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 8:47 pm

Well Mason is below 40k close to 15k tuition making up most of it.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 8:53 pm

deleted by me.

Last edited by MissPickwickian on 17 Apr 2008, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 9:09 pm

Well out of three universities I applied for; Mason, Madison, and Mary Washington. Only Mason accepted me. Madison and Mary Washington declined due to my highest math was Algebra II and no foreign languages. Mason accepted more likely on my personality and other things.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 9:47 pm

"I am not a number, I am a person" - The Prisoner...;)

I dunno, I went to a state college, and that nigh on 30 years ago...;) out of the loop by now...:)

tksteph
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2008, 9:55 pm

lol i read the title and immediately thought st.johns, but if you want alternatives...

I know some people who attend UNC Asheville, and love it. It's a small liberal arts school in western NC, and its not expensive at all, like like 10,000 per year (dorms+tuition) if you're in state. Not very competitive either.

I also know Davidson College has a really awesome small town and very well-regarded academics, but its expensive (even if they do guarantee no debt when you graduate b/c of student loans.) It is pretty competitive though, but it's a pretty cool place.

.. so theres my two cents :P

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 10:04 pm

tksteph wrote:
lol i read the title and immediately thought st.johns, but if you want alternatives...

I know some people who attend UNC Asheville, and love it. It's a small liberal arts school in western NC, and its not expensive at all, like like 10,000 per year (dorms+tuition) if you're in state. Not very competitive either.

I also know Davidson College has a really awesome small town and very well-regarded academics, but its expensive (even if they do guarantee no debt when you graduate b/c of student loans.) It is pretty competitive though, but it's a pretty cool place.

.. so theres my two cents :P

Mason close that amount almost though its your choice where to go. This is my opinion on Mason, New Century College is a good transition into college with their first year experience. Trust me, its worth it in the end.

http://ncc.gmu.edu

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 11:00 pm

Oberlin?

Just tell them that you're destined to save the world someday, and you'll give them a building if they'll let you study there now.

Luck, Miss P:

btdt

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 12:12 pm

There are lots of those out there. Most of them aren't very well known, though. I would recommend finding a guide to college's called the "Fiske Guide to Colleges." It has information on competitiveness, academic strengths, and an overview of people's impressions of the place.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 12:41 pm

MissPickwickian wrote:
Do you know of any liberal arts colleges with the following:
-a tight-knit, communal feel, like it's a little town full of young people
-an intellectual environment (more book clubs than frat parties)
-a reasonable price (<40,000$ at the absolute most)
-pretty noncompetitive admissions, or else "holistic" admissions (they care more about your essays and personality than your GPA)

Do not say St. John's, Hood, or Sewanee. I am already obsessed with them.

University of Illinois at Chicago?
Its like village inside Little Italy inside Chicago and Its a state school it doesnt focus mostly on LA, although LA degrees are probably the most common after science and medicine. Other then that it matches everything else.
Our library is one of our biggest buildings. It's about the size of a mall and 4 stories high.
We get alot of good professors who have turned down harvard, stanford, etc. because we have a better location.
instate it's 10,000 a year and 7,000 for housing(expensive but it's just outside downtown, two miles from Lake Michigan.)
It's pretty easy to get in to.
Don't know if you would be interested, but I definately like it.

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2008, 4:09 pm

I assume when you say Mason, you are referring to George Mason? And not some school for masonry?

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 4:31 pm

ddrapayo wrote:
I assume when you say Mason, you are referring to George Mason? And not some school for masonry?
No they are referring to Derrick Mason

broben05

20 Apr 2008, 7:20 pm

If you are looking for a real alternative school look at The Evergreen State College , Or College of The Atlantic. Or Antioch. Your experience of intellectual stimulation is directly related to the desire you have to seek it out. That is the case at any school. As far as admissions if you take the time to request a personal interview and make an impression on the admissions officer you might have a better chance of getting into a competitive college. Also in a personal interview having a person understand that you are bright and talented and motivated. And likely have dealt with and overcome difficulties which many others will never have to deal with is something that sets you apart. And when it comes down to it many schools want students who are able to set themselves apart from the rest of the numbers.

An application and personal statements , essays can make an affect but taking yourself from a number and name on sheets of paper to a person with a face and personality makes you no longer just a number.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:47 pm

Well, when I read the topic I immediately thought St. John's. You said you are already obsessed with them. Do you not want to go there?

Anyways, Reed College in Washington is pretty intellectual. I don't know how competitive their admissions is, or what you qualifications are, so I can't say whether you'd have a good shot at getting in.

Well, good luck in your search.

broben05

20 Apr 2008, 8:28 pm

REED is in Portland Oregon and is in line with the schools I mentioned as far as academic style and objectives. Its somewhat competitive and fairly expensive from what I recall I had a couple of friends there when I was at the Evergreen State College in Olympia Washington.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:52 pm

Whoops. sorry about that, Reed is in Oregon, not Washington. Us ignorant Midwesterners don't much distinguish between those two, only knowing that both are out West. Anyways, they've got a reputation fro being very intellectual, but as you said, they might be a bit competitive and I don't know what they cost.