need intellectual college with noncompetitive admissions

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

broben05
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2008, 8:01 am

I would say that any of the schools I've mentioned and reed as you mentioned are very good schools. They all revolve around a similar style of education. Which is a interdisciplinary method. If you want to take a class on studying Ireland you end up taking a class which is typically the only class you take in one semester. You end up studying Gaelic, History, Culture, music, dance. Or if you take a class that seems to be computer oriented such as a web design class you study the digital divide, community informatics, open source software, community based design and finally web page design including both front end and back end components. It is a rarity that you can find a class in just one singular subject area. You may think a class on physics will end up being just about physics but you end up doing computer science and calculus. finally most of these schools forgo the traditional grades of other schools and do an evaluation process where both you and the teacher evaluate you. There are a couple of other schools with this style of education which is more holistic and community driven than most colleges or university's. Just to tell of my success at Evergreen I was able to make it through in 3 years doing summer classes and the third year taking the maximum credits allowed. I struggled my first year and then understood the system and found the keys to success by the middle of my second year. At that point I started taking A full time class and one or two evening classes. Then I also went through the summers of which one of them I worked on a individual contract. Which allowed me to do self study. I also took a couple of different night classes during this summer. The other thing about these schools is that the faculty is very open to help as well as many of the students. And At least at Evergreen there are very good resources for people with challenges related to their mental well being. A hint on that for any school you apply to if you fell that you might seek resources for help with you challenges make sure that you state that or at minimum seek the help early on. Many schools have great resources but sometimes they are more difficult to get appointments come the middle of the year. I hope have been of help and not just rambled. Also if you go anywhere in the pacific northwest learn to enjoy the rain. Its only a depressant if you allow it to change you habits. At least in Olympia it is normally a light mist more than a rain and is actually quite pleasant. Also I don't know how open or liberal you are but the schools that I have mentioned take the liberal in liberal arts quite seriously. For example Evergreen was started in 71 as a state college by basically a bunch of hippies interested in comunal learning. It is also one of the only schools in the country that I am aware of that has its own nude beach. I am not as knowledgeable about the other schools I listed mainly because I didn't go to them however, they are all schools where I have been exploring in reference to their masters programs.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 3:47 pm

I am in a very respected university, and I applied at age 21 using adult admissions (my average was too low), and they let me in.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 3:15 pm

Orwell wrote:
Well, when I read the topic I immediately thought St. John's. You said you are already obsessed with them. Do you not want to go there?

Anyways, Reed College in Washington is pretty intellectual. I don't know how competitive their admissions is, or what you qualifications are, so I can't say whether you'd have a good shot at getting in.

Well, good luck in your search.

St. John's is my first choice, but as a cautious person I want to apply to five or more schools.