Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2008, 12:06 pm

:)
I am about to go off to a job interview (my first in a way long while)...and it has dawned on me that I am so anti-social that I don't have any good references.... :lol:

Funnier than that..it is a telemarketing job. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2008, 2:54 pm

I go in for training on Saturday.

If you can't tell yourself something nice, don't tell yourself anything at all.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

EvilOlive wrote:
I go in for training on Saturday.

Congrats - you got the job !?!?

:D

krex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 3:42 pm

Sounds like you got the job...congratulations.

I have the same problem with no references but part of it is that the jobs I have had....the people I worked with are no longer there. People just move from job to job to much. My last job I was only there 4 years when the place first opened and by the tome I left, I had seniority....we had even gone through 3 managers while I was there and all of the other staff had quit or been fired.( would have left to, the pace sucked but I'm afraid of change and HAET looking for a new job).

I belong to no social groups, orginizations and WP is my only socialization. Maybe I could use this place for the nonwork related references?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 4:04 pm

Sounds like a tough job for an autistic. :?

I wish you luck.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

17 Apr 2008, 9:40 pm

I hope you like your new job. :D

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 1:21 am

Telemarketing isn't necessarily a bad job for aspies. I used to do it. You sit in front of a computer, wearing a headset, and read the script that comes up on the screen. After you've been there a while and gotten good at it, they let you improvise a little at the end of the script, but you have to start with the same speech for each call. When you get a customer who's interested, you have to type in the information they give you, but it's designed to be really easy.

"Call centers", or telemarketing companies are usually pretty easy places to get work. The one I worked at would hire anyone who could read (at a beginner level), type, and count to ten. They gave job applicants a short test to assess these abilities and if you passed, they put you to work.

The challenging part was the co-workers - because they'd hire anyone, my co-workers were ex-cons, perverts, people with "anger management issues", people who could barely read and count to ten, and college students. It was actually about half college students, and a lot of the other people were nice, but the ones who weren't could certainly make the job . . . interesting. The good news was that I quickly figured out how to read and sleep on the job.

And it was a highly structured environment, which could be good for a lot of aspies.

Anyway, good luck with the new job, EvilOlive!

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2008, 8:51 am

...And it is part-time, and will offer my life a little bit of the structure it is sorely lacking right now.
I also have the opportunity to make good money if I do a good job at selling tickets...
(i am selling tickets to the Alley theatre)

I had a telemarketing job like this 10 years ago, but it was selling tickets for the Opera.

They were super-tolerant of me. They did everything they could to make me feel welcome there..whcih made the job alot easier. They even found non-phone jobs for me to do once in a while.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

18 Apr 2008, 1:18 pm

It's good that you are getting optimistic vibes EvilOlive. This sounds very good for you. I like the pallindrome username also. :D

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2008, 7:51 pm

so far so good..I went in for training...other than drinking a gallon of coffee in attempting to make myself feel as comfortableand alert...just a wee tad stiff and akward.
Have been attempting to make eye contact, often to find that none of the people I try to make eye contact with are very much into it themselves.... :)
My boss is about my age (if not younger)...and seems very intelligent and amiable..and very fast-paced..he is from New York..
My "Aspiedar" went off ever so slightly with another of my co-workers..as he started rattling off about all the different streets around Houston and Texas towns with Spanish names that are habitually mispronounced...like San Jacinto...which should be prononced San HAsintoh...but nobody does...

Had to really stop myself from all my vocal-stimming....singing and mouth-sounds and whatnot....

oh yeah...and then when I left...I was just in time to catch a guy who had sawed almost completely through my bike lock and was about to make off with it...i caught him just in time to save my bike from getting stolen....I ran down the street yelling explitives at him....I am glad he didn't just make off with my bike..as he just as well could have.

So i had to buy a new lock today.....probably for the best....

oh yeah..and my boss told us to skip the part about references.... :P