Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 2:33 pm

Has anyone read Sophie's World?

I've wished for the book to my birthday and got it from friend.

I have no come very far with reading it yet. But from what I can gather of the first few pages, it is very interesting. (An entertaining mix between children's book and philosophy. I usually only read children's books.)

I think it is an excellent read for children that are at an advanced reading level and can grasp most of the concepts in the book already. I find it to be no less entertaining to adults, though the character of Sophie is strongly orientated at children.

I can't say anything on the content yet. But I particularly liked the analogy of the white rabbit and how it reflects the no-wonder attitude of people. A furry and warm place in a rabbit's fur.

I wonder whether most of the concepts of philosophy will be strongly simplified or somewhat adequately explained?

Aranittara
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2008, 3:04 pm

awesome book I read it twice it was great each time it even has a cool plot twist

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 3:13 pm

It's one of my favourite books ever... really endearing and with a sweet storyline, and somehow manages to fit several thousand years of human thought into a few hundred pages!!

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 4:54 pm

I had to read it in my 10th grade Lit class...it was strange, but I don't remember it terribly well.