Yes 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
No 68%  68%  [ 19 ]
Not sure 29%  29%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 28

Trident_infinity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2008, 11:22 am

Like myself, to have poor theory of mind and problems recognising others' double bluffs and perspectives (5th to 10th centile), but to have no problems with emotional reciprocity, great social skills, many friends (10 main friends, but 30 or 40 others), sometimes I have problems managing them, but my only AS problems arise when complex "theory of mind" problems come about, like during a test.

So my problems are so subtle, that you wouldn't recognise them in a social situation, only in a test.

I don't have any obsessions, rituals or all-absorbing interests; nothing really interests me anymore. No physical problems (I weight-train 6 days a week), no sensory problems, can easily recognise facial expressions - except “sad, angry and disgusted" faces, no monotonous voice. I used to have some of these I think.

I've had an emotionally disturbed childhood that’s caused me to suffer from emotional instability, perceived sense of injustice, suspicion, paranoia and mood problems that still give me hell to this day.

Does this sound like Asperger's?

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 11:33 am

Maybe PDD-NOS, or perhaps just quirkiness.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2008, 12:43 pm

I voted no, but I would need to meet you to be sure. From what you say, it sounds like a no.

However, you are still welcome here!

JakeWilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2008, 1:08 pm

It sure could be AS. There are a lot of things I have grown out of but it is still very clear that I have AS. If you don't have any rituals or repetitive behavior and never have that makes it very likely you don't have AS. I don't know.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 3:28 pm

I voted not sure for you. Do aspies adopt more neurotypical behavior as they age and become more experienced? I took the aspie quiz and scored 140/200 based on my current behavior. When I answered as accurately as I could based on what I remember of my childhood behavior, I got 170/200. It says my physical behavior is mostly neurotypical, but for intellectual it's mostly aspie. Perhaps I've got the best of both worlds?

The problem with self reporting is its subjectivity, and people report what they feel. You can learn skills, get degrees, and do interesting things, and this will make you less distressed, but your basic tendencies will remain as they are. People feel their symptoms, but the negative aspects of their symptoms may go away when certain skills are learned the hard way, but that doesn't mean the aspie will ever be "cured". The necessity to learn, rather than be prewired, is part of what makes the aspie, if I understand correctly, even if the symptoms of distress go away after learning enough skills. NTs may regard aspies as deficient in the same way a wolf might regard an NT baby as deficient for taking so long to mature, but the wolf will never pilot a jet.

I can learn eye contact with familiar people, but that doesn't mean I like it with strangers. I am getting a better handle on my field of research so I can speak more smoothly about it in conversation with other experts, but that doesn't mean I won't occasionally get frustrated when nonexperts' eyes glaze over when I discuss something more meaningful than paint color. (I'm an elitist. So what?) And I will never be able to pay enough attention to football to match my brother's knowledge of it, or to join him in a meaningful conversation about it with other people.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2008, 3:31 pm

No, your a smart person with a tough childhood.

Sarcastic_Name
Fumigated With Boredom
Fumigated With Boredom

19 Apr 2008, 9:30 pm

That sounds a lot like me, with practice most problems simply went away. I voted yes.

NarfMann
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

It sounds to me more like you have a mild disassociative personality based on psychological withdrawal.

But hey, I hardly qualify as an expert, so what do I know? :)