What does an AS with a BBA degree do?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2008, 7:22 pm

I made a thread about being bullied in my current job some time ago. Because the harassment is not that intense (as it was in my previous jobs) I did not mention it again.
The thing is, it's beginning to wear me out rather nastily again. . .

It's not just that 2 or 3 people decided they do not like me and are rather unfriendly and seek to isolate me and spread rumors and get other people - especially new people - to avoid me altogether. . . It's mostly that I see no future as the bosses don't care or are too busy or too stupid to put me to good use. Maybe they think I'm just too stupid to do anything. I really don't know anymore. . .

What I do see is that even the dumbest amongst my ex-classmates are both earning twice as much as I am and doing the kinds of things I hoped to do when I graduated (business projects development, marketing, finance stuff - things I probably don't even know exist). At the same time, I'm just made to sit there until someone comes with a paper and goes "input this numbers", "make a graph" - sometimes I might be sitting there an entire day without people even looking at me.
I already tried talking to my boss more than once but he just blurts out all sorts of dumb contradictory excuses showing that he just wants me to leave him the hell alone - in fact, I'm the one person he doesn't have time to talk to; then I glance his way and his long conversations with any of the young females are almost flirtatious. I know I could be useful for certain things if they only bothered allowing me to get involved (such as not keeping me out of every goddamn meeting when they themselves can't keep up with the workload).

I've been sending resumes since 2004 trying to get a decent job but I failed the few interviews I got out of that and ended up settling with whatever job I could get from my parent's connections.
I'd settle for the possibility of actually being an idiot except that - as I approached graduation, I was able to lead others, to come up with good business ideas/strategies, to come up with good expositions. . . This is not subjective. I single handedly beat all my classmates in a business simulation. My class participation was terrific at consistently hitting the nail in the head for both practical problems or theories - my rising grades, comments that both other students and teachers made reflected this. My biggest surprise came when the top student began benchmarking his stuff against mine.
The second thing is. . . I get bored as hell doing data entry and the occasional graph. This is not my vocation; I chose this career in a situation of both pressure and confusion. However, I can still enjoy it provided I can busy myself with something meaningful! I even do well this drudgery I'm given under mild mobbing circumstances!

I'm sending out another barrage of resumes as of late. My parents are out of the loop. I'm fed up. Connections or not, I can't have one meaningful conversation with them.
While I lost most of my self-esteem thanks to bullying at places they got me into and I am now half as articulate as I was when I was 21; they just ramble on (my mother namely) about me going abroad, making a lot of connections and becoming a whiz in finance (I don't even want that!) or answer random belligerent things so as to try and make me shut up when logically cornered. I have no one else with whom to talk this btw. . .

. . .so I'm sending resumes. What I'm not sure about is whether I should drop this career altogether. Compared to others of similar background - these last 5 years have been as worthless, for the kind of career I - in theory - intend to have, as being downright unemployed. I did not just become ridiculously inarticulate; I'm a shade of my former self regarding whatever talents I seemed to have years back. I seem to have lost most of my interests
or the will to do anything. I just get up, go to work, do the drudgery, get payed, pay my bills, dread every waking minute; it's about keeping myself alive; not living. It's exactly like I didn't as hell want it to be when I was 18.
Seeing all these personality tests and seeing the kind of careers that suit AS; and seeing that it's all stuff I'd be interested in doing rather than what I do now (and the kind of people I have to meet). . . Doing the more interesting stuff in my field I could use (such as having a say or being allowed to think) but requieres a success I've never had. Maybe I could just appoint myself at the local university which is free and study whatever I like? . . .while getting the most relaxed harassment-free job I can get to pay my bills meanwhile? That, at least, would give me a purpose; a direction once again. My professional failure seems like a conundrum to all; everyone says I'm really capable, yada yada, my education is great, yada yada, but no job for me, repeat, years pass. . . I'm getting old. . .

If it sounds stupid then it probably is as I haven't got a clue.
My mood swings are so wild I even find it hard to discern what is it the truth.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:50 pm

What did you major in on your BBA?

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 7:59 pm

If you're failing at interviews then find a way to get some practice. If not with a friend, find a job counselor. A BBA degree will get you into a job that demands social skills so make sure those are in place. Also, if you can't get a job doing what you trained for, can you get one that's closer than the current job? Get there in steps.

You're depressed and that leads to the other problems you listed. If you can see these problems and tell the difference then you're still in good shape.

It's your life. If you don't take overriding control, some stupid son of a b***h will do it for you and you'll be worse off than you can imagine. Sic 'em. :twisted:

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2008, 8:42 pm

Xelebes wrote:
What did you major in on your BBA?

No specialization; I'm not in the US. I used "BBA" for translation purposes mostly.
I'm doing my post-graduate degree in finance to get something of an edge. . .

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2008, 8:56 pm

MysteryFan3 wrote:
. . .find a job counselor.

Yeah, I'm afraid I might want to go see a job counselor. A real one; not any of my parent's acquaintances. . .
:roll:

MysteryFan3 wrote:
A BBA degree will get you into a job that demands social skills so make sure those are in place.

I'm worried about that. I'm rather shy. I had been so violently mobbed that when I got to this job I could barely speak or make eye contact; I'm glad to say I'm slowly recuperating myself. I'm beginning to make small talk just to see how it goes. I still seem too formal to some people more on the NT side but I use slang and local intonations alright with those I'm more acquainted with. Knowing when to speak is, for example, a bit off with me but I'm not sure by how much. Most people are not overtly hostile/unfriendly to me in this office; I may be making social blunders I don't even know about.

MysteryFan3 wrote:
Also, if you can't get a job doing what you trained for, can you get one that's closer than the current job? Get there in steps.

Yes, if anything, I'll at least amuse myself learning different things.
I need to stop procrastinating and send those resumes. . .

Thank you.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 10:12 pm

have you ever considered what you actually want to do? Finance is good for high salaries, if it's what you like. Data entry is a good start, and you can show that you've worked for 5 years doing the same thing, and that you want to grow, and learn new skills. You want to go places, move up the ladder, etc. Most interviewers would understand that. You're investing in yourself by going to post-grad (I blew the GRE so badly...;), so that shows some initiative.

I went into college to major in Business Admin, which was a hot field at the time. By the time I graduated, there was such an oversupply, I wound up in fast food. Try to see what will be a hot field in the number of years it takes to get the degree. Just a thought.