Page 4 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 7:29 am

I like to read I've probably read more books this year than the entire school population has read in the last ten(and thats just the average student I'm not counting the smart ones who actually read) but my ultamate obsession is to play videogames.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:19 am

Hmm... I might contest that :D I read a lot. Sometimes I read four or five books at once, and inevitably get the plots mixed up :S

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:20 pm

TheRani wrote:
Focusing on tasks for hours on end that would bore others to tears.
And Reading. From talking to people, I've determined that I probably read more books in an average year than most people will ever read in their entire lifetime. I read the entire Bible cover to cover in less than a week. And what I do is not what they call "Speed Reading" where you just skim through the thing quickly to get the gist of it. It's just regular reading, for hours on end, only stopping to eat and sleep (I take them to the bathroom with me). When I was 8 years old, I read a book called "The Robe" by Lloyd C. Douglas (over 500 pages), and did a book report on it for school. I think that was the point when they decided to have me tested to see if I was gifted.

LOL, I'm one of those people who reads in the bathroom, too! :lol:

When I was 8 I was reading science books written for an adult non-scientists and I was reading more technical books and scientific papers when I was 13, and I got my parents to get me a subscription to the journal Nature for my 15th birthday.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:24 pm

darkstone100 wrote:
I like to read I've probably read more books this year than the entire school population has read in the last ten(and thats just the average student I'm not counting the smart ones who actually read) but my ultamate obsession is to play videogames.

I was told that I had probably borrowed more books from my high school library then any other student in the 100+ year history of that small rural school! 8O

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:27 pm

Remembering car license plates.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:39 pm

Exploiting my visual memory and abstract intuition to the fullest. All that really means though is that I spent my entire life drawing shapes from different views, copying landscapes, listening to sounds, counting things, scrambling patterns, and admiring nature. When I was 14 I actually began giving my mental energy a formal grounding by reading a lot of philosophy. Before that I had already developed (typically) superior language, math, and art (as a critic back then) skills. Also I read a ton regularly as well. Any topic catches my attention, but it always shifts back to the fundamentals of nature.

Have any of you read this (quite popular, yet not popular enough for me to memorize it exactly) website about hackers? I remember a quote from there "...With a library that would be daunting even to liberal arts majors."... Yeah, that's pretty much me.

Last edited by sim on 22 Apr 2008, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beckula
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2008, 2:40 pm

Writing and editing...I love reading, too.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:42 pm

hmm, numbers in general.

I can not forget a number. I still remember answers from my elementary school math class. :S I can only forget a number if I consciously try to forget it.

(and have you ever consciously tried to forget something?! it's impossible!!)

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 2:52 pm

reading, writing, remembering and understanding facts about my area of interest

My most recent are Neurology and video games.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 4:45 pm

*whispers* being quiet...

:)

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

Datamining...

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:07 pm

spacing out :D I could be an astronaut :D

rifler39
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2008, 5:17 pm

Specter wrote:
Hmm... I might contest that :D I read a lot. Sometimes I read four or five books at once, and inevitably get the plots mixed up :S

I found the solution to that one. I try not to read two books of the same genre at the same time. Right now I am reading a (fictional) history of the Texas Rangers, WWII (factual) history of the P38 airplane, book two of a fantasy wizard series, and an autobiography of a champion target shooter. Out in the machine shop I have a book on using micro machining tools and in the craft shop I have a pictorial of period powder horns. It is hard to confuse the stories, one with another, in this mix.

Pops

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:18 pm

ooo, that's brilliant :D

sim
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:23 pm

I don't always care about keeping the plots isolated. Most of the time I let them mingle together and see what interesting things from either could have changed in each other.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 1:16 am

gaming, accents, fast typing, tricks, and i have been known to have a sixth sense but not like a stereotypical version you see on tv pc etc