Getting a new pet - something rare/unusual but intelligent?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Trident_infinity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2008, 2:09 pm

I'm thinking of getting a trusty companion, but at the same time I want it to be original, nothing ordinary - something rare/unusual. I already live in a house with two cats, so it would have be compatible with other animals.

Preferably something you can take on a leash or train.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:35 pm

Get a ferret. Ferrets are awesome.

I was doing community service at the local garden and some lady was walking 2 pet ferrets. They crawled up my back and bit my neck :? But they're awesome.

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:38 pm

One of those bald cats?
Or a de-stinked skunk, they make good pets I hear

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:38 pm

886 wrote:
Get a ferret. Ferrets are awesome.

I was doing community service at the local garden and some lady was walking 2 pet ferrets. They crawled up my back and bit my neck :? But they're awesome.

My teacher brought in her ferrets once, they smell funny but not bad

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:51 pm

I vote for an unusual domestic cat or some type of rodent or weasel. Maybe a skunk? They're cat-like and they're supposed to be good pets (although I guess that depends on the person, and the skunk). Apparently, some people keep capybaras as pets and walk them on leashes. It might be like having a giant guinea pig.

Or, if your town will allow it, you could get a pet pig. They're supposed to be highly intelligent, clean, and easy to train. I plan on getting one some day. A pig can live in your house and use a litter box (of the right size!). You just have to provide it with a patch of ground in your yard for rooting - pigs have to dig in the dirt for grubs and roots in order to be healthy.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 3:17 pm

was thinking of sugar gliders if had the spare room for them,but they're not ones for carrying about everywhere dont think,they're unsual and awesome though.

Rats also,are awesome.
but the problem with rats is they have a short life span,and they can get ill very quickly,am had rats for years before moving out of family home and would never be able to have them again for that reason,its too hard.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 3:25 pm

:roll: A dog?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 3:43 pm

Ferrets are great pets and love to play with cats, but your going to have to take it slow when introducing them to a cat. Ferrets tend to be an impulse buy, because they are so cute, , a ferret is a also big commitment, they need lots of attention if they are alone, so its best to get them in pairs. You will have to ferret proof your house, baby locks on all the doors, and one on the fridge too they are also prone to certain health issues, adrenal and pancreatic cancers, they also like chewing things and tend to swallow anything on the floor, and alot of ferrets end up dieing from intestinal blockages. Ferrets also need a proper cage, with good bedding, towels are perfect, and never use wood shavings of any type as its hard on their eyes and lungs. Ferrets have been domesticated for about 3000 years about as long as cats, so they won't survive long outside, so you need to be careful with them as they are great escape artistes, any little hole in the wall or window screen is their quickest escape route. So don't get one if your not going to take the time for this commitment, they can be lots of work. On skunks they are great pets to but they don't live long, 3 to 4 years, they can also be very destructive and temperamental, and I wouldn't recommend one to kids or teenagers

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Apr 2008, 3:45 pm

I've got a pet mouse and my sister had a pet rat a few years back, both made good pets. The only problem with the mouse is that she bites... a lot.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 3:46 pm

how about a pet raccoon, my dad caught a baby raccoon when he was a kid and he trained it really well, it also had a affinity for marshmallow.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:02 pm

darkstone100 wrote:
how about a pet raccoon, my dad caught a baby raccoon when he was a kid and he trained it really well, it also had a affinity for marshmallow.

Raccoons don't make good pets, they are wild and they should be left alone, they can be very dangerous as adults especially the males

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2008, 4:15 pm

We have had two raccoons, both were great pets. They are extremely intelligent,friendly,fun, and best of all they trash your house. :D I have heard great things about armadillos, I really want a nine banded armadillo. They are supposedly quite friendly and easy to care for. The one skunk that we owned was awesome, really friendly and cuddly. Ferrets are great pets.

As for raccoons being dangerous i really don't see how. They CAN carry a fair number of diseases but dogs can carry just as many, and if you get one that was captive bred you shouldn't have any problem with that. They are very easily brought up and are well suited to being a companion animal in my opinion. They enjoy human contact, can be taught all types of things and they actually like to learn tricks.

The main problem with raccoons,armadillos, and skunks is the legality. In some states they are illegal to keep or require a permit, you would need to check that out.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:16 pm

Ferret. I always wanted one.

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:21 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Ferret. I always wanted one.

yeah ONE ferret is ok, but a year ago my dad went ferret crazy and bought five of the little things, and let me tell you they may be small but cleaning out their cage was a big task.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:34 pm

They can be a big choir cleaning up ferret poop, I have 3 ferrets , and its a full time job picking up after them, I could just imagine the mess 5 can make :)

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 5:10 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
:roll: A dog?

did you really just go there?

ahem:

"...something rare/unusual but intelligent?

you post just to be seen, don't you?

A chinchilla. Cute, softest animal you'll ever feel, entertaining and fairly intelligent not to mention not found at every hydrant, beach or picnic area...like a dog.