Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

squier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 2:50 pm

most of you know I've written a book, and some of you know I'm writing another, but I've been having trouble keeping motivated.
a new member here, who I rescently met through Twitter.com called psmaster offered to host a blog for he and now I am using it to post portions of my book and get suggestions on changes, or something like that, could someone offer me some, I have two blog entries now, here's the link:
http://quinntheaspie.reelone.org/

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2008, 3:37 pm

Good luck with the blog, and as soon as I get some money, I am going to buy your book.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

19 Apr 2008, 4:17 pm

Squier,

Because of your book my sons and me joined Taekwondo (the closest karate class wass too far away, Taekwondo was the closest).

My older son and I are still going (2nd son didn't want to continue). We are now 7th gups and loving it.

My older son uses his forms to relieve anxiety and anger.

I'm rambling, what I'm saying is that your first book changed the life of an Australian family.

Is that motivation to get going with your second book?

I'll have a look at your blog.

Helen

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:37 pm

I think this will be better, and better received than your first book, which I bought, BTW! :wink: What I think you, and ANYONE here should talk about is...

1. Why did you go to be checked?
2. How did they check?
3. What diagnosis did you get?
4. How did it affect you?
5. How are you different?
6. What problems do you have?
7. What unusual related talents do you have?
8. How do you feel about your life(present and future)?

You get the idea... I think you are being more fair and complete here than in your first book.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

19 Apr 2008, 6:17 pm

Quinn,

I looked at your blog and it left me wanting more. I loved it!

What I found helpful is that you discussed what happened, and what you were thinking/feeling.

As a parent of 2 Aspie sons, reading about what other Aspies think is incredibly helpful.

Helen

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 7:31 pm

recently.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 9:22 pm

Book one is great, I was plugging it here just the other day.

I would sum that one up as discovery and understanding through explaining. It is very good because it is clear and simple, suitable for younger readers, yet packed with information for parents and others to get an inside view.

Your writting has greatly improved, and your view. Your range of perceptions, inner dialog, set the stage for understanding the words, Asperger's Syndrome.

You can walk the reader in your shoes, perceptions, reactions from others, the amount of sense input we have, ask most people about a room they were in for a few minutes, and it was just a room, we get more, hence process more, and sometimes too much, too fast, and overreved brains meltdown.

This idea that we are not social does not fit, we are not totally social, and the ride there, the front door, the signs, books, carpets, the feel of the place, images, Defective brains fixed here, and in this swirl of perception, the thing not described, which was the center, but given less than the tiles on the floor, was the Therapist, who would be the center of a NT description.

People are just other things.

A woman. No age, dress, look, no personality, face, look, no content of the eyes, glancing at the parents to see if they had questions, nothing about manerisms, tone of voice, body language, a voice that you only asked about inkblots, a bit off the point of the day, then ignored and looked at the folders in a basket, and only responded when your parents were not sure what to say about spinning things.

I did get an image of them, sitting on the floor of the garage, spinning a motorcycle wheel and adjusting the bearing clearance, for a real long time, as the bright chrome an shiney spokes spun and spun, and hesitating to answer the question, wondering what a normal amount of watching spinning chrome things was.

When asked about what they thought of their sons future, the parents said, in a couple of years one of the low slung Honda 250 cc bikes, the lightest safe for the road, and in a few more years, a 650 BMW. The Therapist just stared, her eyes blank.

On the way home everyone was lost in their thoughts, Mom reading her book, and getting home it was just another day. A bit here about the replay of events, after the fact, your perceptions as they come wandering in, late again.

I think you do catch the perceptual differance well.

The Therapist has had all sorts of reactions from families, denials, screams, tears, casting blame, but this group just accepts, functions as a unit, and wanders out as they came in.

Parents glad their son had an uncurable condition, for they liked him the way he was.

Then comes Asperger's at work, you tracking down an understanding of things adult doctors had written fifty years before, and seeing where they got it wrong. Making your way to Wrong Planet, where almost everyone was much older, and becoming a valued member. Then the normal childish reaction, writing and publishing a book about it.

Now with growing perceptions, and writing skill, giving minute by minute narratives of life as you see it. The first book did lack something. This showing of the Asperger mind at work, the range, speed of processing, and the delays in processing, is very insightful.

A lot of your development is directed by the calm accptance of your parents. As a good deal of your readership is likely to be parents, and yours seem good role models, you should point out what you like about them, and how their actions have helped you.

Many here have said, I took my kid for a Dx, and got two. The acorn does not fall far from the tree.

So the readership of parents, who would bother to read a book, are seeking a group identity, family function.

All of Science has yet to define what Autism is, or how much social is normal. Parents at Autism Speaks have said that having their child has made them isolated loners, but maybe they would have made it there alone. Your family seems to have a social life based around machines, Hmmm.

Context is everything, you are, but within a group, and the differences are more noticed outside your group. Your family fits in at BMW bike rallies. There is a range of life that seems OK to you, and some that seems ununderstandable.

So your innerview, family dynamic, and the larger groups they fit in, and the places where they do not.

It is not like this is a known and defined thing. I would not give an NT much of a chance of understanding from the outside. Tony Attwood said, when ask about his great knowledge of Autism, and where he got it, well I asked autistic people, and they told me.

Explaining autism can only be done by explaining how the brain works, from the inside. What I see coming out of this is a greater understanding of how all brains work.

All I can tell you about writing is write lots, editing makes it better, and the more you have, the more you have left. I take several rewrites, letting the story form around it's self. Sometimes a page only becomes a sentence, but it is a good one.

Keep us posted, I will follow your blog.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:19 pm

I read your blog and so far so good. One minor editorial comment though, with a quote from your blog:

quinntheaspie Blog wrote:
...at the time, my mom rode a B.M.W f650, the only motorcycle with a chain on it,

this should be written as:

at the time, my mom rode a BMW f650 ,which is the only chain driven BMW motorcycle, she belongs to an f650 club called the chain gang, a play on words.

The majority of motorcycles are chain driven except for BMW, which have always historically used a driveshaft not unlike a car. Therefore, the f650 is the only chain driven BMW motorcycle.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:35 pm

There is also the perceptual differance, AS is defined from the outside, but the same things have other meaning from the inside, explore.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2008, 2:47 am

Say, where can I find your first book? Your blog piqued my interest, and now I'm really curious!
:D

squier
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:57 pm

Hey, put a new portion of my next book up.
thought I would tell you. the link above by the way, still works
and joeker, the link in my signature leads to my first book.

CRUD! i forgot to work on my book! if only i could access my computer at schoo, i always want to work on it when I'm there but forget at home, or I'm too busy.
darnit, I'll work on it some tonight.

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903