Camino 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Amaya 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lynx 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 90

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 10:10 pm

Basically, what browser do you use? If you use more than one, choose the one you use the most. I have Firefox and Opera, but use Opera more. Linux users are out of luck on this poll because I can't have an other option. (no pun intended)

OrderAndChaos30
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2008, 12:25 am

Why are Linux users out of luck? I am running FireFox, have Opera and using the IEs4Linux script the distasteful options of Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 and 7.0. Needed for compatibility testing of Web site I am creating of course.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 12:37 am

I have to use Internet Exploder at work, but that's not a choice...;)

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 12:49 am

pakled wrote:
I have to use Internet Exploder at work, but that's not a choice...;)

:lmao: :wtg: Yeah, I use that at work also.

At home I use Firefox mostly, but lately it's been messing up with me so I'm back to using Opera.

I still have Safari onboard but never use it.

At school in the digital media lab... well, actually in the rest of the computer lab... you can use IE or Firefox. :D
At least someone there got smart!

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 1:09 am

I've been using Firefox ever since it came out, whenever that was... 3 years?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:23 am

RaceDrv709 wrote:
Basically, what browser do you use? If you use more than one, choose the one you use the most. I have Firefox and Opera, but use Opera more. Linux users are out of luck on this poll because I can't have an other option. (no pun intended)

I don't understand. Why can't you have an "other" option?

I use SeaMonkey (also cross platform).

I only occasionally use Opera, Firefox, Konqueror, Lynx and elinks.

The only one that's Linux specific, that I can think of, is Konqueror.

Lynx has been around since pretty much the start (1993) and is still in use.

Where's Safari? (PS Ooops! That's actually on the list! And its one I've NEVER used.)

===========
Personally, I prefer to browse by using "wget" and reading the HTML directly with "less".

Last edited by lau on 20 Apr 2008, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomadao
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2008, 2:58 pm

Opera, of course, and Konqueror, on Linux. When I'm without X, I use Links sometimes. I almost never use Internet Exploder or Firesucks (sorry their fanboys).

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:51 pm

I use Konqueror, dillo or links, Stupid poll!

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:57 pm

I use IE 7, but plan to get a Mac, thus, I would be using Safari.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Compiku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 8:58 pm

I use a Windows PC and a Mac, so I mostly use Firefox and Safari. But what's ironic is that I mostly use Safari on Windows and Firefox on the Mac (though I formerly used Camino).

I think I'm one of the few people out there who takes Safari for Windows seriously. But WebKit is one of the best rendering engines out there (way better than IE), and in some ways feels less bloated than Gecko. WebKit also supports a lot of fancy new CSS animations and stuff, but that's not really a reason why I use it, because there aren't any sites that use that stuff.

You can argue about rendering engines and standards all you like, but what really matters to most users is (a) that pages render properly, and (b) how "fast" it feels. IE7 may not support a bunch of standards, but it doesn't break most pages, either.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:41 am

Safari on the PC is significantly faster than Firefox 2.0. It also has nicer text smoothing, like on a Mac. Perhaps my computer is just slow.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:54 am

Isn't text smoothing dependent on whether you have ClearType fonts enabled for the OS?

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Apr 2008, 5:45 pm

I use FireFox it is very clean, clear, and easy to use, I also have Safari but I only use it for looking for stuff for my i-phone such
as Web Apps.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:22 pm

You guys should try out Firefox 3.0 Beta 5.

I've got a good tip for removing ads, I've been using this method for blocking ads for over 3 years and I hardly ever see ads...

Go to:

http://everythingisnt.com/hosts.html (This is the best hosts file I have used and I have tested out at least 15 different ones)

Just stick that into system32/drivers/etc, overwrite the old hosts file, and after that you will rarely ever see any ads. One thing I must note though, right after you are done installing the host file go into firefox and type in about:config in the address bar. Scroll down until you see "XUL error pages", double click it so that it says "false" under value. If you don't do that you will get "can't connect" messages in place of the ads that you'd normally be seeing but now you won't see any ads at all. It's a great method and I highly recommend it.

BTW, if you use IE I recommend that you don't use this method, you will get annoying error messages in place of all the ads that you'd normally be seeing, but if you use IE explorer ads probably don't bother you because you are so used to seeing them...

Also, if you use Firefox install Adblockplus for extra ad blocking.

Compiku

21 Apr 2008, 9:13 pm

deep-techno wrote:
Safari on the PC is significantly faster than Firefox 2.0. It also has nicer text smoothing, like on a Mac. Perhaps my computer is just slow.

I was going to mention the font smoothing in my previous post, but I got distracted somehow. But yes, that's one of the main reasons why I like Safari on Windows.

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Isn't text smoothing dependent on whether you have ClearType fonts enabled for the OS?

For most things, yes, but Safari uses its own font smoothing, similar to the one used on Mac OS X. I've always thought that OS X's smoothing renders crisper than ClearType, even on an LCD.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 10:21 pm

deep-techno wrote:

I would beg to differ... My experiences on safari have always been slower (and safari was running on its native environment of OSX, so either safari is slower or OSX is slower)