Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2008, 4:06 am

Do you ever wish to leave the modern world behind? I mean, do you seriously consider abandoning your possessions and say, volunteering in third world countries or living on a commune? Do you ever feel that modern life is empty or unsure of what you're living for, and you ask why you do what you do? I do in moments of self-reflection.

I already know some things from psychology about what makes people happy, and yet I can't seem to act on that knowledge when I know I probably should. For example, I sometimes ask myself why I bother going to college or planning on a career, knowing that financial and academic success have little to do with happiness.

Sometimes I also feel like my possessions are somehow depriving me and I have momentary urges to take my laptop and slam it to the ground. I feel like "stuff" just clutters my life and distracts me from more important opportunities, half-wishing I was forcefully deprived of this junk.

Does anyone else ever feel the same way?

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

21 Apr 2008, 5:42 am

In a manner of speaking, I did that by going overseas for almost 3 years. I agree that money alone will not buy happiness. By the same token having your needs met, and a little left over for something nice once in a while plus savings to cover unexpected emergencies can allow you to focus on more positive things than juggling bills to make ends meet. If you have the opportunity to get a college degree now, it might be a good idea to do so. It leaves options open for later.

As an example of how savings can really help out, my niece recently had a baby and she wanted me to visit so she could show off her little baby. I was able to do that trip, it was a nice visit and made my niece happy. Little things do make people happier. :)

Irisrises
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2008, 6:01 am

If you have the option you can take a time-out from things without necessarily turning your back on them forever. A lot of people do that and feel that they benefit from it. But few people are willing to go all the way and completely live without possessions and links to the modern world, if they have a choice.

You don't have to go to the third world. Volunteer at an organic farm for example (check out wooff.com) (or is it wwoof.com? something like that), there are a lot of things like that. You don't have to travel, you can go some place near where you live. It's a good experience, if nothing else, and helps collect your thoughts.

Dracula
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2008, 6:22 am

This thread reminds me of the film "Into the Wild."

Many times in my life I felt inspired to walk away from it all. Maybe next time I won't return from the wilderness.

- D

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:47 am

Idealogically yes, but the real question is how would I react to it?

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2008, 6:48 am

Dracula wrote:

Maybe next time I won't return from the wilderness.

um, you mean "wilderness" right? Whats your "wilderness"?, Mcarthur Park?

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2008, 7:02 am

Definitely not. I rely heavily on the things the modern world gives me, and I'm very happy with my current life. I don't feel like I need tons of stuff to make me happy, but I would not do well without electricity, the internet, books, and a computer todo my writing on. And I need time to write, and time to relax; I think it would be hard to get either of those things in large amounts if I left the modern world behind.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:35 am

I used to wish my house would burn down so that I could just leave and be done with it all.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2008, 7:40 am

I would love to, but I wouldn't be able to do it voluntarily, or if other people around me still had the luxuries. In this world, without my computer, I would be lost.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:52 am

Were it not for my hefty chemical dependancy, I suppose I could travel. But since my body has been convinced that it REQUIRES the meds, I can't leave the province of Ontario for healthcare reasons. It behooves me to stay within reach of a psych doctor and his prescription pad. And let's not forget the pharmacies.

Unlike my NT peers, I can't go to exotic places and frolic with exotic bikini girls.

:( :(

Nor can I swim with the dolphins. Sometimes I wonder if all I need is a good hypnotherapist to liberate me of my dependancy on psych meds. Why not? People have been known to quite smoking that way. Huh? Damn you, bad genes!

Oh woe is me. Woe-woe!

Last edited by slowmutant on 21 Apr 2008, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dracula
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2008, 8:24 am

grain-and-field wrote:
Dracula wrote:

Maybe next time I won't return from the wilderness.

um, you mean "wilderness" right? Whats your "wilderness"?, Mcarthur Park?

Expound.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 10:08 am

You can still live a life of few possessions, even if you don't choose the extreme of going to live in the wild.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:05 am

Somedays I'd like to find a nice mountain shack somewhere no one knows about and just disappear into the woods...never to be seen again. :lol:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:13 am

John Dunne said, "No man is an island."

think about it

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2008, 5:17 pm

slowmutant wrote:
John Dunne said, "No man is an island."

think about it

Didn't say I wanted to be an island, just that I wanted to leave the modern world. Third world Africa and less modern places would have people in them.

Irisrises wrote:
If you have the option you can take a time-out from things without necessarily turning your back on them forever. A lot of people do that and feel that they benefit from it. But few people are willing to go all the way and completely live without possessions and links to the modern world, if they have a choice.

You don't have to go to the third world. Volunteer at an organic farm for example (check out wooff.com) (or is it wwoof.com? something like that), there are a lot of things like that. You don't have to travel, you can go some place near where you live. It's a good experience, if nothing else, and helps collect your thoughts.

I was preferring a long-term solution. Momentary retreats can't cure the pointless competition to have more and be better that you find in occupational, academic, and other areas of life. For that, you either need to wait till you're old (when you're no longer active and have already spent up life) or do something more radical.

I don't think I'd enjoy leaving everything at first. I would probably do it gradually. But in the long-run, I think it'd be best.

I don't even want electricity. I might bring a comfortable bed and clothes, perhaps using fire wood or solar heaters to warm my bath, but those are the only modern conveniences I'd care to keep.

All in all, I'd get used to it and would have a more fulfilling life.

Last edited by IpsoRandomo on 21 Apr 2008, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:28 pm

Third World nations are depraved, disease-ridden hell-holes. :eew:
That's why they call it the Third World. Hell on Earth. Based on what I know about places like Kenya, El Salvador and Haiti, my home & native land is a Paradise by comparison.

Where would I go to do the Jack Kerouac thing? Someplace not too sh*tty.