Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2008, 11:00 pm

Fractal geometry and chaos theory were two of my special interests when I was about 10-15, though I could only have a laymen's understanding of both. I agree, if anyone thinks there is no creative thought involved in mathematics, they should read a few mathematical proofs. There is indeed beauty to be found in mathematics, and sometimes even absurd humor.

The converse can be said of most forms of art. The golden section is often found in many forms of visual art, and even in natural beauty. There are scaling, proportions, and patterns found in even the most chaotic music. Artistic patterns of any kind are mathematical in there very nature. Assigning abstract meanings to objects, colors, sounds...ect. and give them a relationship with other abstract objects/concepts is very much like math.

Einstien didn't initially come up with his special relativity theory by writing numbers on a chalkboard. The line of thought started when he was a kid and imagined what the world would look like if he could ride on a beam of light. See, logic and creativity don't necessarily work exclusivly independent from one another, and it's not a contradiction if the same mind is using both at the same time. They compliment eachother.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:13 pm

Nikola Tesla would be a good example of someone with both qualities.

GlassWall
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2008, 11:37 pm

if you had asked me that question up to about 10 years ago i would have said both. as an example, i have a dual degree in Public Relations and Economics.

as i have gotten older though i find myself much more in the logical camp. i've actually been forcing myself to do some creative writing this past year because the constraints of logic have gotten to the point of feeling regimented, restrictive, downright suffocating even.

IsThatAFact
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2008, 7:16 am

I am both logically creative and creatively logical.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:21 am

I like that :D Hmm, I don't think I've answered my own question yet, so I'd say that I'm more on the logical side of things. I like to write poetry, sing, and I can act like no one else can :D but numbers are my bread and butter :D :D :D

IsotropicManifold
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2008, 12:50 pm

I am going to be a contrary example here.

I actually study logic at university. Strangely it is a creative subject when you are on the edge of research!

I am always thinking "what about this idea" or "is this possible" or "what would this look like" "what would that mean" and then following it through logically,

I don't believe in the distinction between logical and creative. Logic IS Creative. Its like swimming through a sea of conceptual relations!

I know it is genuine creativity since i am playing with conceptual space and the possibilities of conceptual space. Its like a painting like that, some explorations in conceptual space are more pleasing and come more naturally and seem more appropriate than other types of explorations. IN this way its like carefully done painting.

Logic has its own aesthetics.

And Logic isn't as rigid as people believe, the discipline of Logic is a very perculiar and disputed territory,

Anybody that does maths at a high tertiary level could probably tell you the same 2 things aswell.

1. Its taught horribly in highschool
and
2. Its a creative subject!

I have a theory about creativity: its only important and geniune creativity when you are working with constraints. Thats why contemporary art seems so all over the shop, art has lost its boundaries, and the importance of it has suffered in the process. Contemporary art works only when it is done through a discipline like painting or sculpture.

With the most stringent of constrictions, human creativity flourishes!

I don't believe in the distinction between logical/creative.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 1:01 pm

I like that :D

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 10:32 pm

Both? Put me in a tech booth and I make magical things happen.

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2008, 11:03 pm

I have strong talents in both domains. I'm not very athletic though.

I find that I use logic more often, but use my creativity to get it started.