Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:46 pm

do you tend to find yourself on the Logical spectrum, or do you have more creative tendencies? please share. :)

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:55 pm

Why do people make this kind of distinction?

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:59 pm

I'm extremely creative.

The problem is I tear it all down with logic.

*sigh*

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:00 pm

I dunno, I'm not asking whether you see yourself firmly on one side or anther. :S I apologize. I just mean do you tend to like doing artsy things, or more math and sciency things? :D

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:01 pm

I'm the same way. :S Just about the only creative thing I can do is poetry and music. I really really really wish I could do art, but I can't. I tend to try to rationalize the art that I see, until it starts to conform to my many formulas (which it can't). and that defeats the whole purpose of art.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:05 pm

I'm both?

Sometimes I use logic to come up with creative ideas.

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:06 pm

I am both creative and logical. It might seem like a contradiction, but I have a very methodical mind and I like to know how and why things work (or don't work.) I also like to see patterns in things and then predict, from the existing patterns, what is likely to happen next.

I can put my logical mind to creativity, and I enjoy writing short stories, though finishing them is another matter still. :P I've also invented my own language, and that has elements of both logic and creativity. The problem is, I have absolutely no artistic ability whatsoever so I'm unable to express myself creatively as much as I'd like to sometimes, but creativity and logic go hand in hand most of the time. One doesn't work very well without the other.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2008, 6:14 pm

Specter wrote:
I just mean do you tend to like doing artsy things, or more math and sciency things? :D

I prefer artsy things - writing, in particular. I've never liked math and science much.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:16 pm

Specter wrote:
I dunno, I'm not asking whether you see yourself firmly on one side or anther. :S I apologize. I just mean do you tend to like doing artsy things, or more math and sciency things? :D

Two of my life ambitions are to write a novel and become a mathematician.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:35 pm

Creativity and logic don't conflict with each other, I hate it when "Right-Brain Supremacists" (those smug artsy types who think they are superior to people in technical and scientific fields and go on about BS pseudoscience about "dull left-brained" and "intuitive right-brained" people) in the arts and humanities use such a BS false dichotomy.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 6:43 pm

Specter wrote:
do you tend to find yourself on the Logical spectrum, or do you have more creative tendencies? please share. :)

I think I fit in the creative spectrum. I've often wondered why many aspies think of themselves as professors. I almost thought I was misdiagnosed because of that.

As for the Logical spectrum, no I'm not logical at all, I'm deliouriously insane and unaware of anything. :huh:

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:26 pm

I am pretty creative but I'm more logical. Am I the only one that leans toward logic here? :?

Not saying no one is illogical, just everyone is either both or creative.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:47 pm

Hector wrote:
Why do people make this kind of distinction?

I don't know.

My father was an electronics technician and engineer who is highly creative. One of my brothers troubleshoots copy machines, and he is highly creative. My other brother repairs computers/networks for a living, and he is highly creative. My uncle co-invented a widely-used photo processing machine, and he is highly creative. And my ex is a programmer who now works for Google, and he is highly creative.

This is an awful lot of people who work or worked in fields requiring large amounts of logic, who are quite creative, including simultaneously with doing their jobs. I really doubt these are opposites. Oh, and nearly all of them are very athletic, too, just to blow some more stereotypes out of the water.

Personally, I'm pretty creative, and I'm not sure how logical I am, but the two things are not opposites regardless.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Apr 2008, 8:57 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
I am pretty creative but I'm more logical. Am I the only one that leans toward logic here? :?

So far, yes.

I'm more creative than I am logical. I enjoy writing stories, poetry, composing music, painting abstractly, making clay sculptures, photography...just about anything "artsy".
I'm no good at math...although a few of my interests are science related, such as severe weather and snake venom effects.

Social_Fantom wrote:
Not saying no one is illogical, just everyone is either both or creative.

Well, i'm a bit of both, but FAR more creative.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 9:39 pm

Academically I always did better in math and science. I like creative things too, but I can’t be creative unless my heart is in it. Art classes don’t work so well for me. I can’t force myself to complete an art assignment for a grade if I don’t find the project interesting.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

Odin wrote:
Creativity and logic don't conflict with each other, I hate it when "Right-Brain Supremacists" (those smug artsy types who think they are superior to people in technical and scientific fields and go on about BS pseudoscience about "dull left-brained" and "intuitive right-brained" people) in the arts and humanities use such a BS false dichotomy.

I agree. Math can be as beautiful as art. I love fractals (see my avator).