Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2008, 10:54 pm

Where could I go to find out my IQ. And I mean a legit official IQ test.

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2008, 10:57 pm

...if there is such a thing.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2008, 11:07 pm

Probably a psychologist, or you could buy a self-score IQ test at the bookstore.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 1:11 am

Psychologist is probably your best bet. There are a few places online, but they very by provider I think. I dunno, when I took mine it was with a psychologist present. I've taken three so far, and have gained an insane amount of progress from each test.
I.Q. tests in general are not all that accurate, in my opinion, because they depend on the overall population.

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 1:15 am

Different IQ tests have different scales, and so they are not directly inter comparable.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 1:16 am

I'd go with the suggestion to buy a self-test book. The problems are much more numerous, as well as the topics which contain them.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:12 am

yes, that's probably the way to go, especially if you'd have trouble finding a psychologist (I live in bush Alaska, so I know how that is). Why do you want to know your I.Q. anyway? just curious?

schoolpsycherin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2008, 7:38 am

I think you'd get more valid results from a psychologist... but then again I am a psychologist :wink:

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 11:08 am

well there you go :D match made in heaven. :) that was lucky!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 11:21 am

ButchCoolidge wrote:
Probably a psychologist, or you could buy a self-score IQ test at the bookstore.

I wouldn't trust a book of IQ tests anymore than I would a test online. I doubt they've been properly normed. If you want to find out your IQ, get a psychologist to test you. Try a local university if you are having trouble finding one- they likely have a psych clinic.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 1:21 pm

In some places Mensa gives proctored (supervised) tests, and they're cheaper than going to a psychologist. Check them out if you want an official score on something.

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2008, 6:39 pm

hm yeah...why didnt i think of that! haha thanks

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 9:12 pm

Anemone wrote:
In some places Mensa gives proctored (supervised) tests, and they're cheaper than going to a psychologist. Check them out if you want an official score on something.

I don't think Mensa will tell you your score though- just whether you qualify (top 2%).

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 8:30 pm

The results of my official legit IQ test were much lower than any of the on line tests I did:

I did have several IQ tests in my childhood. I cannot recall any my early childhood tests all that well, except for some clinical tests in which I was asked to point at pictures and respond to questions regarding them. The last one on clearly recall was one when I was 15, which I remember quite well. In that test I had weaknesses in verbal comprehension and working memory, but very great strengths in non-verbal reasoning such as the block design test in which I clearly excelled.

Due to the fact all the results of my childhood intelligence tests were lost I had to be put through a further intelligence again test again just recently (especially after I had a seizure and a serious meltdown last October) on Tuesday 29th January 2008 and a subsequent memory test on the 4th February 2008.

The first was the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS) and the second was the Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS) test My current functioning turned out to be almost as lop sided as I was when I was a child, and I performed at the 92nd percentile or a non-verbal reasoning IQ of 123, placing me within the superior range. I was put at the 19th percentile for verbal reasoning or a verbal IQ of 86. My working memory was my weakest area where I only managed to get in the bottom 9th percentile or a working memory IQ of 79. Overall my full scale IQ was 96 on the day, but I felt I could have and should have done even better on the non-verbal special reasoning tests because I really felt I did not do my optimal best at it which could as well placed my non-verbal IQ up in the high 90’s percentile if I did.

I just felt the non-verbal test was too easy for me, especially the block design test, which seemed too childish for me. But I did pull out all stops with the working memory test and I still did not do all that well.

Those last results as I was doing them rekindled vivid memories of a test I was put through when I was 15 and that one was even more lop sided. Because I excelled so much in that one with non-verbal reasoning. Like the block design test I even got a perfect score. But my verbal comprehension and reasoning was terrible, like I found it so difficult to keep track of human conversation on account of my poor working memory. My verbal comprehension and verbal reasoning then, although I have not got the exact results I would have scored more poorly than I did with the last test I did with working memory, so instead of being at the bottom 9 percentile, would have been more like the bottom 4.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:12 pm

If you're just curious, some online tests, though not as rigorously normed as official, psychologist-administered ones, can give you a rough ballpark. Look for the Raven Progressive Matrices- those are pretty good. If you need an IQ test for some other purpose (though I can't really imagine what) you should probably go to a psychologist.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:35 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Anemone wrote:

I don't think Mensa will tell you your score though- just whether you qualify (top 2%).

Oh, yeah, that thing went down in the US and they changed policies. I think you get your score in other countries still, though (I did, in Canada, back in mid 1980s). (Big story but I think I will behave and not share gossip.)

If you have SAT/GRE scores you can get a sort of idea of how high you'd score compared to regular people. Very approximate but better than nothing, I suppose.