Weird visual phenomena when startled?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:51 pm

Often when it's quiet and then I am startled by a noise (usually a creaking noise, such as from TVs and other things with a thin hard plastic surface when changes in temperature causes it to expand or contract) I will see a flash of "white noise" in my visual field. Does this happen to anyone else?

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 2:53 pm

well, when my adrenaline starts going things slow down in my head.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:07 pm

I sometimes see flashes out of the corner of my eye. Probably not the same thing though is it doesn't occur when startled. It tends to happen when I'm reading. It's distracting and annoying.

I have another weird thing that happens only on rare occasions. For about 3 seconds these bright golden streaks, like shooting stars, will appear in front of my eyes. They vanish as quickly as they appear. It happens completely at random maybe once every month or two.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:13 pm

Yes, I sometimes see flashes, especially when I'm tired. I never thought much of them.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:14 pm

I have noticed something like this, only I get tunnel vision, and my hearing go's hyperacute , I think its something to do with a fight or flight response

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:15 pm

my sense of sight was never really a problem for me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:27 pm

spudnik wrote:
I have noticed something like this, only I get tunnel vision, and my hearing go's hyperacute , I think its something to do with a fight or flight response

I can sometimes trigger a similar effect if I run up a set of stairs as fast as I can and then stop suddenly at the top. My vision tunnels in and everything seems to go really quiet for a split second, then there is a “pop” sensation in my head accompanied by my hearing suddenly becoming louder than normal. It's as if sounds that were previously outside my head are being heard inside my head for a short time. It must have something to do with the sudden increase in blood flow.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

perhaps. It certainly is interesting. :)

missboots
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2008, 5:03 pm

Almost the exact same thing happens to me, I was actually talking to my Mom about it the other day. Only it's not 'white noise.'
It's more of a quick white flash, like a camera flash looks like.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 5:45 pm

At my old house, whenever my mom turned on the washing machine, I saw a dim flash. At first I thought it was something to do with the electricity, but my family members said they never saw it.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:41 pm

missboots wrote:
Almost the exact same thing happens to me, I was actually talking to my Mom about it the other day. Only it's not 'white noise.'
It's more of a quick white flash, like a camera flash looks like.

That's it! You described the phenomenon better then I did! :lol:

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2008, 7:56 pm

I have noticed the 'flash' before when i was startled. I don't think this is anything strange though, you see similar visual effects in movies and games. When someone grabs someone or gets hit in a movie sometimes they have a white flash, it could just be for effect. It doesn't seem that far fetched to believe that it is due to a quick rush of blood or adrenaline, it could also just be a heads up type of thing.

fainting-goat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2008, 8:23 pm

Odin wrote:
Often when it's quiet and then I am startled by a noise (usually a creaking noise, such as from TVs and other things with a thin hard plastic surface when changes in temperature causes it to expand or contract) I will see a flash of "white noise" in my visual field. Does this happen to anyone else?

phosphenes?

wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphene

i have them quite often, different kinds.

fG

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2008, 8:41 pm

Yes, all the time. Sometimes in color.