Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2008, 4:40 pm

I was reading an autobigraphy by 'Liane Holliday Willey' its called 'Pretending to be Normal'. a mum with aspergers and she says she has buisness cards for when she does something in aproriate with a stranger in public. Or for those who go "Are you ok? " when your having a meltdown in public.

Her's reads :
'I have Asperger's Syndrome, a neurobiological disorder that sometimes makes it difficult for me to speak and act calmly and rationally. If I have given you this care, it proberly means I think i am acting in a way that might be disturbing you.

In short, Asperger's Syndrome can make it diffucult for me to:
speak slowly, refrain from interrupting, conrtol my hand movements and my blinking.
It also makes it hard for me to follow your thoughts so that I might misunderstand what you are trying to say or do. It would help me if you would speak calmly and answer any questions I might have, clearly and completly.
I apoligivze if my behaviours seem inappropriate.

For more information on Asperger's Sydrome look on www.autism.org.uk/asperger '

I think this idea is debatable. I like it for when for moments its complicated to explain when i feel /act weird. I wudnt hand it out often only in a situation where i feel its gone wrong becoz of my AS. I also think it would raise more awareness of AS. Which is a huge problem

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2008, 4:52 pm

Thats cool, it is a good idea, but please, type with less grammatical errors. It really bugs me when someone spells something wrong, it is just one of those quirks I have. Other than that, I think that is a good idea to have a card to hand to people instead of having to tell them yourself.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2008, 5:00 pm

psmaster wrote:
Thats cool, it is a good idea, but please, type with less grammatical errors. It really bugs me when someone spells something wrong, it is just one of those quirks I have. Other than that, I think that is a good idea to have a card to hand to people instead of having to tell them yourself.

again , this is 2nd time i have to reply to my spelling problem, I have dyslexia and spelling wrong or using my gramma wrong on purpose. would you go up to disabled person and go "it really bugs me that you dont walk ? please would you get out of your wheelchair?" :?

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 5:18 pm

psmaster, wow that is quite rude (in my opinion) to say, i also have dyslexia as well.

wob182: that aspergers card is a pretty cool idea. of course becareful sometimes people who don't understand will over detail and come to conclusions.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2008, 5:22 pm

thank you, jaydog for sticking up for me! what conclusions are they likely to jump to?

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 5:36 pm

well if you read google news on autism you will get an idea, alot of false news about vaccines, brain damage, etc. i usually don't even mention i have autism or aspergers to anyone, just say i have depression and anxiety. autism really is anxiety overloaded anyway.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2008, 5:41 pm

I like the idea, and have thought of using them myself, but in reality, I can't see them helping. Well, I can't see them helping my situation, at least.

Most people I know get easily freaked out over small details. They pick up on every little thing you do that's slighly awkward, and that makes them feel awkward, too. I imagine handing them a card explaining Asperger's/Autism, would make them quite uneasy. I know that many people tend to over-analyse when you try to explain something like Asperger's/Autism to them, and they often come up with their own inaccurate conclusions and scare themselves away.

I can also see the potential for people to dumb things down or try to baby you if they actually stick around to learn more.

It is a good idea and I'd love to use it, but I don't trust people enough to handle it well.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2008, 5:44 pm

I actually see that helping somewhat. I mean, in dealing with authorities. I actually have a card that I keep in my wallet that explains some of my symptoms and a form that I keep in my car. Especially for my son.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2008, 5:47 pm

Liverbird wrote:
I actually see that helping somewhat. I mean, in dealing with authorities. I actually have a card that I keep in my wallet that explains some of my symptoms and a form that I keep in my car. Especially for my son.

yeah definatly a good idea for police if you get in trouble and its hard to explain its not your fault. Or if something happens at work or when your dealing with authority figures.

I wudnt hand it out to a woman on the bus just coz she looked at you like you were staring at her.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2008, 5:52 pm

Yeah, I think there's a time and a place for it.

There is definitely a place to give a card, and not. I sometimes feel like wearing a t-shirt or a button all the time.

You know...welcome to my planet. You're weird here.

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2008, 6:10 pm

wob182 wrote:
again , this is 2nd time i have to reply to my spelling problem, I have dyslexia and spelling wrong or using my gramma wrong on purpose. would you go up to disabled person and go "it really bugs me that you dont walk ? please would you get out of your wheelchair?" :?

Sorry, I didn't know that you were dyslexic, I truly am sorry, and hope I do not make a mistake like that again.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2008, 6:37 pm

You would have to be a real Uncle Tom to carry those cards around.Apologise for being Aspergers?Other minorities don`t apologise for their difference.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 6:46 pm

agmoie wrote:
You would have to be a real Uncle Tom to carry those cards around.Apologise for being Aspergers?Other minorities don`t apologise for thier difference.

who is uncle tom? those cards can make a difference between someone getting arrested by police or supported by them,
especially if the aspie or autie is non verbal or has some verbal difficulty.
some aspies and auties have complex needs that can result in harm if the wrong action is taken which is why a autism or as card would be good in those cases.

though am do not think people should have cards just for general behavior,if others cant cope with it,thats their problem.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

23 Apr 2008, 7:20 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
agmoie wrote:
You would have to be a real Uncle Tom to carry those cards around.Apologise for being Aspergers?Other minorities don`t apologise for thier difference.

who is uncle tom? those cards can make a difference between someone getting arrested by police or supported by them,
especially if the aspie or autie is non verbal or has some verbal difficulty.
some aspies and auties have complex needs that can result in harm if the wrong action is taken which is why a autism or as card would be good in those cases.

though am do not think people should have cards just for general behavior,if others cant cope with it,thats their problem.

I agree.

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2008, 8:43 pm

I don't think it is apologizing. I think it is non verbal explaning. People don't think that you have a "disabillity" because you can do things that "normal" people do like walk and other things that they take for granted. It tells people that it is not your fault for some things that you do.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 9:17 pm

Oh, my. Dyslexics can not spell--my dad has it. I work with bad spellers all day long. It must be incredibly difficult to struggle with something we take for granted--like spelling easy words.

It really is quite rude to make a comment about someone's spelling especially on this site! It's informal for g'sakes--who knows what I've misspelled!

Some of our most brilliant movers and shakers can't spell, fyi.

Let's lighten up a bit.

As for the card, unlike your spelling, I disagree. It encourages inappropriate behavior by excusing it with a card. I think this is bizarre. I actually think it's comical and might earn space on SNL if someone were to write up a proposal and submit it. Autism is a hot topic right now!

okay,

equinn