Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2008, 7:04 pm

Can AS be caused by Brain injury as a young child? Im not sure how old I was but I believe younger than 4. My mom dropped me in a washing machine and the front of my skull is permanently deformed because of it. I cant help but think that MAYBE this has something to do with it.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:12 pm

A head trauma can certainly cause AS, by damaging one half of the brain and affection the proficiency of the other. I don't know what the odds are for the impact causing your AS, but it may be a contributing factor. I would do some research, and while you're at it, research your family tree. If you have relatives with AS or Autism, then it's most likely hereditary.

I'm not a professional however. Is there anyone here who knows more about the subject?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:13 pm

I did get a bad concussion when I was 3, got ran over by a bike, I did heal up good but I can still feel the crack on my forehead, I am not sure if I was brain damaged from that, as my father had a few aspie traits

sim
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:16 pm

I've been hit on the head a couple of times when I was little.

I don't know if I was ret*d before or after the events though.

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2008, 7:27 pm

i dont think the ridge down the middle of my forehead made me ret*d or anything. I just have this feeling that it messed up the frontal part of the brain. Like i know somewhere in the front of ur brain is responisble for planning and i absolutely suck at that. Mayb there are other parts in the front that are damaged that are responsible for my aspieness.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:33 pm

Specter wrote:
A head trauma can certainly cause AS, by damaging one half of the brain and affection the proficiency of the other. I don't know what the odds are for the impact causing your AS, but it may be a contributing factor. I would do some research, and while you're at it, research your family tree. If you have relatives with AS or Autism, then it's most likely hereditary.

I'm not a professional however. Is there anyone here who knows more about the subject?

It sounds like you're just making that up. How can physical trauma to the brain affect the wiring of neurons? It can't. Moreover, most people hit their head now and again, that's life. And finally, there are many people with brain injuries whose side effects don't resemble AS in the slightest.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:35 pm

sim wrote:

If you're ret*d, it has nothing to do with AS. Asperger Syndrome is not a cognitive mental deficiency, it's a socialization disorder.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:36 pm

A head trauma can cause any number of manifestations of brain injury, so I believe it could cause AS.

kit000003
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2008, 8:25 pm

There are actually similarities between some frontal lobe brain trama symptoms and AS/autism.

Though, I think If it is Brain Damage related, it is one of the disqualifiers for getting a diagnosis. Seeing as how it is brain damage causing the effect, not AS/autistic wiring of the brain. Autistics are considered to be born autistic.

I met a girl, who I blogged about, who I could talk to and understand perfectly. She was alot like me. Only she was the way she was because she had severe brain damage and surgical removal of pieces of her brain. She's still really cool, just not Aspergian.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 9:16 pm

I think all kids manage to hit their heads at some point. I did, but I was about 7, and the AS traits were already there full force.
But that's what kids do, fall down, run into walls, ect.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 10:25 pm

Concussions before the age of six usually are not as bad as those that occur later in life. The skull and brain are still growing and can regenerate or compensate after some damage at that early age.

Specific parts of the brain that affects social skills enough to warrant a diagnosis would have to be damaged in AS that is, hypothetically, induced by a brain injury.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 10:48 pm

zee wrote:
Specter wrote:

It sounds like you're just making that up. How can physical trauma to the brain affect the wiring of neurons? It can't. Moreover, most people hit their head now and again, that's life. And finally, there are many people with brain injuries whose side effects don't resemble AS in the slightest.

I have to disagree. If it occurs at a young age, while the brain is still undergoing developments, then it can be possible to cause AS.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 11:12 pm

Willard wrote:
sim wrote:

If you're ret*d, it has nothing to do with AS. Asperger Syndrome is not a cognitive mental deficiency, it's a socialization disorder.

Actually, it's a cognitive difference at the very least (which causes both deficiencies and abilities). There isn't a lot of evidence for the cognitive differences present in autistic people being specific to only social situations, they're present across all situations. They don't disappear when the situation is not a social one.

GreatCeleryStalk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 11:42 pm

NLD is caused by brain damage; I don't know about AS, though.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 6:42 am

Brain damage due to injuries can make a person be diagnosed with autism. They can suddenly behave autistic and are indistinguishable from other people who were also diagnosed with autism.

Now, I think it's pointless to debate whether they really have autism now.

Because we don't know what autism is yet! What can cause it, how many causes there are etc...

I doubt taking all autistic people (or just all WP into consideration) that all our autism was caused exactly the same.

Just think of this:

In two bakeries, they can each make a muffin. In the end: They look the same, taste the same, feel the same.

You'd say, hey, these are both muffins! Because obviously, both are muffins.

They have been made very differently though. But still, both behave like muffins.

(Heh, I was recently wondering about that. What people would do if all causes for autism were known.)

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Apr 2008, 6:45 am

zee wrote:
Specter wrote:

Actually, if the trauma occurs when the child is little enough and before the wiring of the brain is completed, it could force the brain to make connections that it might not have made before due to the damage. So, the hard wiring would then be altered. It's hard to say if this would be actual autism or just mimic autism, but since we don't really know that much about autism, who's to say?