Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

thea333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2008, 7:39 pm

Hi out there,

My son Kevin who is eight was diagnosed twice with autism (once Aspergers, once PDD-NOS) while still in the US and was treated very effectively in weekly therapy as such. Now we have moved to Germany and after eight months here learning German he is about to be rediagnosed by a child psychiatrist who refuses to consult with the therapist we had in Philadelphia. Kevin´s behavior has deteriorated much since we moved here and he misses Dr. Mitchell, who specialized in Autism. I don´t know what kind if any therapist the doctor here is going to find for him. She places the emphasis on our parenting and doesn´t think he is autistic. I am bipolar and she says he seems emotionally disturbed and socially maladapted. Kevin is being physically attacked at school by a friend he cant live with or without. Kevin feels he has to act tough and provoke people or he will be seen as uncool. I wish we were still in the States. I have a journal started called child abroad. I need all the responses I can get, any ideas, support, you name it. -thea :cry:

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:44 pm

Nice to meet you, thea333. :) 8)

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 12:07 am

thea333 wrote:
Hi out there,

My son Kevin who is eight was diagnosed twice with autism (once Aspergers, once PDD-NOS) while still in the US and was treated very effectively in weekly therapy as such. Now we have moved to Germany and after eight months here learning German he is about to be rediagnosed by a child psychiatrist who refuses to consult with the therapist we had in Philadelphia. Kevin´s behavior has deteriorated much since we moved here and he misses Dr. Mitchell, who specialized in Autism. I don´t know what kind if any therapist the doctor here is going to find for him. She places the emphasis on our parenting and doesn´t think he is autistic. I am bipolar and she says he seems emotionally disturbed and socially maladapted. Kevin is being physically attacked at school by a friend he cant live with or without. Kevin feels he has to act tough and provoke people or he will be seen as uncool. I wish we were still in the States. I have a journal started called child abroad. I need all the responses I can get, any ideas, support, you name it. -thea :cry:

Any chance you could find another doctor?

thea333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2008, 9:16 am

After seeing the doctor today we have decided to follow her recommendations and will not be pursuing the Autism center because she really has to work with the German criteria which are far less inclusive than those in America. So I suppose we will be leaving the site. It was fun while it lasted. No worries.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 1:46 pm

Welcome to WP!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Apr 2008, 2:18 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

autism
Toucan