Innocent people being accused of trolls

Page 1 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

24 Apr 2008, 1:21 am

I have seen on here and on few other forums about people being called trolls for no reason. So some people are ignorant or shallow and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Just because you didn't like what they said, or don't like what they think doesn't make them trolls.

I am afraid to make some posts or express my opinions sometimes because I am so afraid I'd be called a troll because lot of aspies might not like what I say or what I think or what my opinion is.

Why do we do this?
Do we do this because we feel intimated or hurt by what they think so to get them back, we call them a troll to feel better?

I am convinced that people call other people trolls when they are not because they don't like what their opinion is, they don't like what they said, they didn't like the fact they were proven wrong, etc. so they call them a troll for it. They also call you a troll because they don't like the fact they are losing an argument or the fact you showed them up about something.
But then I learned on another forum that when someone calls you a troll for no reason, they are the troll. I thought that was funny. It makes sense though because a troll is someone who comes and tries to piss people off to start up a fight or a drama so someone calling you a troll to get you upset, makes sense. They're the troll.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

24 Apr 2008, 1:34 am

I don't believe that you would be considered a Troll by very many on this forum since you have been here a while without causing trouble. It does seem like a loaded term that should be used sparingly.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 7:40 am

I agree, there are people around here that need to lighten up. I for one, wanted to join a friendly place, not another land of brawl. Another version of that attitude, I consider, is when some jerk goes into a blog or forum like the haven, for example, and then writes "this is a whine", "Deal with it", or any other thing to diss someone's rant or feelings. Sayings like that basicaly mean "shut up!" I'm a little dissapointed (and mad) that some of that behavior has been tolerated. :( There's nowhere to hide.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Apr 2008, 7:49 am

I have been accused of being a troll on here because someone didn't like my opinion. I think it's part of the judgementalism inherent in AS. Some of us are just extremely rigidly thinking and some of us feel the need to lash out at those who do not share our opinions. Thus opening up the troll trap.

Perhaps the finger pointing is directly related to how much power they feel over "trolls" in real life? They can't accuse someone of being a troll in real life, so they do it extensively and without censorship on here?

24 Apr 2008, 8:21 am

No offense but I don't buy it's AS because normal people do it too.
I just think those people are being sore losers when they don't like something so they call that person a troll.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Apr 2008, 8:53 am

There is some truth to that.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 9:32 am

Liverbird wrote:
I have been accused of being a troll on here because someone didn't like my opinion.

I saw it. I don't get why they called you a troll. In the thread I read it in, it seemed to be for no reason. Unless we consider the "start a battle" factor, again. If it's because of another thread, then it needs to be left in.. the other thread. :?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 9:41 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I have seen on here and on few other forums about people being called trolls for no reason. So some people are ignorant or shallow and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Just because you didn't like what they said, or don't like what they think doesn't make them trolls.

I am afraid to make some posts or express my opinions sometimes because I am so afraid I'd be called a troll because lot of aspies might not like what I say or what I think or what my opinion is.

Why do we do this?
Do we do this because we feel intimated or hurt by what they think so to get them back, we call them a troll to feel better?

I am convinced that people call other people trolls when they are not because they don't like what their opinion is, they don't like what they said, they didn't like the fact they were proven wrong, etc. so they call them a troll for it. They also call you a troll because they don't like the fact they are losing an argument or the fact you showed them up about something.
But then I learned on another forum that when someone calls you a troll for no reason, they are the troll. I thought that was funny. It makes sense though because a troll is someone who comes and tries to piss people off to start up a fight or a drama so someone calling you a troll to get you upset, makes sense. They're the troll.

exactly,
troll is definitely becoming a common accusation for when some don't like what someone else is saying,people need to learn to accept different views if they want to survive on the internet.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 9:43 am

Though you will find genuine trolls in any message board, it has become common to accuse people of being trolls. Almost like a witch hunt. When someone posts something you don't agree with it's easier to call them a troll than to disprove them.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 10:35 am

well they use "troll" only depending on how they interpret your words which is why the majority who dont, dont agree with it so im neutral on the matter

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 10:41 am

There seems to have been a big change in the definition of what a troll is, from when I started hearing the term, to now.

Because what I know a troll as, is someone who comes to a forum for the sole purpose of stirring up trouble. They can do it subtly or obviously, but they have no actual interest in the conversation, only with starting fights between people.

That's how I've come to understand the term, and that's how I use it.

Some people seem to use it now as the same as having a minority opinion or something, and that's just not what a troll is. A troll might use a minority opinion to stir up trouble, but they can also use a number of other tactics. Some examples:

One troll I used to know went into a forum and created two sockpuppets who argued with each other, in an attempt to get people there to join in the arguments.

Trolls can also use a whole lot of subtlety, posting as if they are an actual legitimate member of a forum, but putting small provoking comments in their posts and hoping that someone will take the bait.

I've also seen a number of people here describe trolling as a fun pastime instead of a really nasty thing that's never good to do to people, and that has made me think they must be using some new definition of it. Trolling is the Internet equivalent of several things in the offline world that are just as bad if not worse. Some examples:

Walking up to someone and saying the sort of thing (and in the sort of situation) that would normally start a fistfight, because you just want people to start fighting.

(This one really happened to me.) Telling me nasty lies about someone designed to make me not like him, and telling him nasty lies about me designed to make him not like me, and then gleefully watching the two of us fight, at least until we figured out what this person was doing and decided she was the problem. (In this way and others, it can sometimes take the form of slander.)

At any rate, trolling is a real thing, but it can't just be used for any old argument. It means specifically when someone's aiming to start trouble for the sake of trouble, for their own amusement purposes or sometimes for revenge for getting banned or something. It does happen and anyone who actually runs a forum has to guard against it because it's a real and common thing on the Internet, so you can't just say "Oh, trolling is nothing, it's just what people say when they don't like someone," because taking that attitude will allow trolls to run roughshod over a forum. At the same time, you shouldn't use trolling to characterize every disagreement because that's not what it means.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:31 am

anbuend wrote:
(This one really happened to me.) It means specifically when someone's aiming to start trouble for the sake of trouble, for their own amusement purposes

I used to know someone in RL who was like that. Funny, everybody said he looked more like a hobbit.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 11:35 am

well, I try to disagree with people in a polite manner :D

and I am not a troll!! *runs under a bridge*

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 12:30 pm

It's a bit stupid. I've been called a troll on here because I have a different opinion than others... I think it's uncalled for. Unless the person is an obvious troll, like has a post count of 12 and every one of those is inflammatory and mean.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 12:32 pm

You must remember that all autistic people are different and so some may find opinions harder to understand than others. Me, i am pretty terrible at coping with others opinions. My Mum calls it 'black and white' thinking. Also, i thought trolls were those little plastic hair dudes with the asses...

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2008, 12:36 pm

I just try not to hassle people :D I say my opinion once, and if they don't agree, I'll give evidence to back it up, but if I'm out of evidence, and they still don't agree, then that's fine. :)