Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blondie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 12:55 pm

It's not just you that's more Autistic than Aspergers and I don't like the way they're portrayed it makes us seem violent.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 9:54 pm

I didn't really care for it, either. It made us seem explosive.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 1:00 am

Aggression is extremely common amongst people with Asperger's syndrome; I'd say it's more prevalent in those with AS than AD as those with AS look more "normal", and more is expected of them, socially and academically.

This pressure, plus the difficulty in defining one's own emotions (not to mention the social isolation and rejection that AS can induce), leads to frustration and anger.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 4:30 am

Just FYI and all, I reckon Liam has autistic disorder, note how he's staring at the lighting, and he's quite passive to his friend's approaches. But, that's just me assuming.

Many of the people in the playground have autistic disorder, the young boy who imitates Ali's boxing moves for example; the individuals swaying, etcetera. The boy who likes Star Wars is stereotypically AS; I liked how he spoke to C3PO ("one-sided").

The boy who spouts off all the Mr. Men is cool.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2008, 6:38 pm

ive just found part one were they clearly say "we all have something called autism" not aspergers
so i was right that i did find it not really aspergery.. :S
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGfQ-0cAh4[/youtube]

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 7:22 pm

wob182 wrote:
ive just found part one were they clearly say "we all have something called autism" not aspergers
so i was right that i did find it not really aspergery.. :S
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJGfQ-0cAh4[/youtube]

That school only ever speaks of 'autism'. I looked Spa School Britain up and they have AS students that they call 'autistic'.

Many aspies here say they have 'autism' too.

That really is AS.

I'm AS, I'm like that and worse.

I don't understand why anyone would think this is not how Asperger's Syndrome can look like.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 8:20 pm

wob182,

The documentary states that the dude as shown on the still image has AS (the one who likes Star Wars). Asperger's is the type of autism he has.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2008, 8:26 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
wob182,

The documentary states that the dude as shown on the still image has AS (the one who likes Star Wars). Asperger's is the type of autism he has.

yeah im still watching the whole thing now. I take back what I said but the guy who orgnises the videos is autistic and so is the black girl but there not that strange once u see the whole program and get to know how they think. Its actually really different and i understand this better watching the whole documentary as a pose to the 1st 3 minute clip i posted up originally, just shows you how weird it seems when u see a little bit of autism or aspergers .

AW
Raven
Raven

25 Oct 2010, 5:47 pm

Only just seen the documentary, I think either the people shown could be at a more severe end of the spectrum than other people here, either because of upbringing or other influences. On the contrary, I know a little girl similar in behaviour to the girl shown in the movie, and she has a had a loving home and good lifestyle. It's just variations in the spectrum- we are all different.

I also believe that it must be quite edited- the media love showing as at our most extreme, just about every AS documentary or book I have read has people with pretty intensive Autism or Aspergers included. I have out of control rages like they have shown possible only twice or three times a year, but I must admit it was more frequent when I was younger and when I was more stressed about life (and had less self control). So I think they have shown possibly the least normal moments of our behaviour, to inform the public of how different we are to society, rather than how similar we are.

Anyone from SPA school on the forum who can shed some light on the documentary? :lol:

Sorry haven't meant to offended anyone, please let me know if I have.

Last edited by AW on 25 Oct 2010, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 6:00 pm

I can certainly identify with the chap who got so stressed over his videotape collection. I've done just the same thing, carefully and painfully measuring the labels so that they're perfectly even. When he tried to pull a label off because it was incorrect, and the paper tore... boy did I feel for him. I know exactly how he felt.

The wee girl making the rude gestures at the start, I wonder did she have tourettes somewhere in the mix? I felt so sorry for her when she said the wrong thing to her friend. But her friend seemed really lovely as well, and I was very glad for both of them that they had each other as friends.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2010, 9:20 am

I think one of the reasons I made friends in high school was my strange behavior and my willingness to talking trash to random people. I also did some pretty off the wall crazy things to be funny. Even when I acted violently towards my friends they seemed to come back for more so I guess I benefitted from my strange behavore. :twisted: