Would you consider yourself as being a nerd?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 3:53 am

Would you consider yourself as being a nerd? Most aspies I have come across have been nerds. I consider myself as being a nerd.

BTW, being a nerd is not a bad thing.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 3:55 am

Yeah, but if someone calls me a nerd to my face I ignore them, because gallivanting around stereotyping is idiotic.

Also the fact that I should be so smart as to receive my own social definition pisses me off. And the fact that I have no friends because they all defer to me as the "genius" when I'm no f*****g different from them except in that I like learning.

Sorry. Being reminded of that label strikes a nerve in me.

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Apr 2008, 4:17 am

sim wrote:
because they all defer to me as the "genius"

ugh I know what that's like. I think "can't you see there's more to me than that!"

I don't think "nerd" means anything past high school. But I used to be one anyway, before my interests and philosophy really changed. Now I'm creative and athletic, and those wouldn't be considered nerdy traits.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 4:33 am

sim wrote:
Yeah, but if someone calls me a nerd to my face I ignore them, because gallivanting around stereotyping is idiotic.

Also the fact that I should be so smart as to receive my own social definition pisses me off. And the fact that I have no friends because they all defer to me as the "genius" when I'm no f***ing different from them except in that I like learning.

Sorry. Being reminded of that label strikes a nerve in me.

Oh :] I actually call myself a nerd all the time. But I think nerds are smart, which puts me out of the running, doesn't it?

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 5:45 am

I am a nerd. The only real differences that I try not to be one. I don't play computergames and to not watch sci-fi films.

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 6:06 am

No, I used to like the idea but I don't care for the stereotype anymore.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 6:15 am

I used to like the idea, but not anymore. I just like to be myself, and that's all that matters.

Unbeliever
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2008, 6:29 am

lol, I generally admit that I'm a nerd (usually with pride :P ), unfortunately I think being a nerd means you spend all your time studying, I don't think every intelligent person is a nerd, and I happen to have been quite lax in my studies recently. Therefore I'm not really sure if I apply for the title anymore... :cry:

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 7:31 am

"Nerd" or "geek" is what I used to think of myself before I heard about AS. Then I took a nerd test and it revealed that I'm 47 % nerd, 43% geek, and 56% dork. I don't mind the dork label, as long as no one calls me cool. I'm proud of being uncool. :nerdy:

Scorpio82
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2008, 8:04 am

I consider myself more a "Geek" than a "Nerd." I always see nerds as people who educate themselves in useful things, like math, science, and so on. As a geek, I'm more educated in pointless things like movies and video games.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 8:08 am

No I am the opposite 8O

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 8:14 am

not that i know of

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Apr 2008, 8:17 am

As an earlier poster mentioned, nerd implies math or computer skills.

I'm basically a geek. Movie trivia, RPGs, comic books, that sort of thing.

The thing I've noticed that is commonplace among geeks is a love of the fantastic. Imagining a world that is somehow...more than our own is a powerful fantasy for people like me. I suppose it reflects fundamental dissastisfaction and alienation from the real one.

-Frank

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 8:58 am

I've always considered myself a nerd, basically because I'm so literal. To be more specific, I'm an aspie nerd. :nerdy:

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 9:02 am

frankcritic wrote:
As an earlier poster mentioned, nerd implies math or computer skills.

I'm basically a geek. Movie trivia, RPGs, comic books, that sort of thing.

The thing I've noticed that is commonplace among geeks is a love of the fantastic. Imagining a world that is somehow...more than our own is a powerful fantasy for people like me. I suppose it reflects fundamental dissastisfaction and alienation from the real one.

-Frank

Scorpio82 wrote:
I consider myself more a "Geek" than a "Nerd."

Exactly the same. I'm interested in science but my knowledge of it isn't that big like in case of people who are REALLY fascinated with it. I'm not into computers nor math (math, chemistry, physics - my hated "trinity" in school, together with P.E.).

In my language terms "geek" and "nerd" are present but they mean practically the same - "geek" mostly refers to IT area like in case of nerds in contrast to its original meaning in English. We don't have our own language counterparts of "geek" and "nerds", we took those words from English.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 9:03 am

I don't consider myself a nerd.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!