Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 4:28 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:
So I have been telemarketing since monday.
I made a sale on monday, but have not made a sale since.
I have been the only telemarketer who works all day.
I have been trying very hard to pass for normal...
sometimes I feel like i must be more neurotypical than I think i am...and then my spirits fall.
My boss thinks I am weird...i am pretty sure my co-workers think I am wierd.
It must be noticable that I cannot help but mimick my boss to some extent.

My sensory issues are getting the best of me...the weird oddities of being on the top floor of a building are getting to me...all the sudden changes in air pressure...the fact that I can feel the building sway when it is windy....I have thrown up because of it...

Am feeling very disgruntled..
I really try to focus..I really try my best to internalise all of the confusing pep talks and refine my schpiel and really talk to the people...but i get NA after NA...so when I do actually get a human being on the phone...I am half unprepared..and suprised....and so many of these people have either never subscribed to a full season...or don't have the money...or prefer to do things online...and i wonder what on earth my purpose is at all there...and am made to feel like it is my fault when they decline to order..for reasons of money or health or scheduels...etc.... :(

At least I am making 6.75 an hour more than I would be making otherwise....and i try to do a good job..I speculate that once my boss hires all these people who are professional telemarketers for the arts, he will end up firing me right before they start sending out the really good leads...and i am just there to waste my time for minimum wage...

sigh...

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2008, 10:04 am

oops...I accidentally posted as Poopylungstuffing..now I have 3001 posts...

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 10:19 am

I've tried telemarketing - I can't imagine an Aspie in the world who could survive in that racket. I thought because I'd been answering radio request lines for years, my phone skills were good enough that I'd be a natural. wrong! I've never found myself in such a high-pressure environment. The noise, the supervisor walking up and down behind you while you're talking to strangers - and just imagine how New Yorkers were responding to the voice of a Southerner (they think we're all inbred morons anyway - thanks Jeff Foxworthy) disturbing them at dinner time. Yikes! I did appointment setting calls for a photo studio and that wasn't so bad. Not so much pressure, I wasn't selling them anything, and was allowed more room to ad lib conversationally rather than read from a script. I feel for you, that's a tough job. If it makes your head explode, look for something else, it's not worth the meltdown(s).

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2008, 4:06 pm

I have not come close to haviing a meltdown except that after working a full-day-shift I can tend to feel pretty cruddy all night...

I might not quit, but I might cut back on my hours so that I have time to look for another job while still making something...also...i am working almost full-time...and have not had time to do my creative stuff or my um...housework...etc...

I feel very rigid and out of place...not to mention the fact that I live in a warehouse where the shower is still unbuilt so I have to um...take sink baths...and I think that the sink baths are inefficient....

Today we had a tour of the theater and I was rigid and stiff as a board with the fear that everyone on the tour with me could smell me...and also no matter what I wear, I always look weird....

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:08 pm

I have worked at a worse job than telemarketing. How about working as a debt collector where you have to call up people with overdue accounts and try to get them to pay up? To me a telemarketer is not as bad as it seems, because you are over the telephone and some of them will already have prepared scripts so after a while it sort of becomes mechanical. It's the face to face sales such as in real estate where you may have to entertain clients that would be a problem.

If you don't mind me asking, are you still at Super Happy Funland?

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2008, 10:22 pm

yep....
still at super happy...
we are still shut down....

_BRI_
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2008, 5:20 pm

Have you tried data entry or proofreading? They can pay 10usd/hour and there's no interaction at all. Just a tip.

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2008, 6:35 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
I have worked at a worse job than telemarketing. How about working as a debt collector where you have to call up people with overdue accounts and try to get them to pay up? To me a telemarketer is not as bad as it seems, because you are over the telephone and some of them will already have prepared scripts so after a while it sort of becomes mechanical. It's the face to face sales such as in real estate where you may have to entertain clients that would be a problem.

If you don't mind me asking, are you still at Super Happy Funland?

You don't need social skills to be a debt collector. Social niceties would actually be an impediment to being a debt collector. Just focus on being abusive to be a good debt collector.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy