Any autism spectrum parents with NT children?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 7:41 am

Any of you out there?

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 7:49 am

8O 8O I am here BUT have NOOOOO NT children!! ! EVEN THOUGH I HAVE 5 KIDS!! ALL DIAGNOSED!!
OOOOooooops! I have said ALL ALONG GENETICS!! !!

Gotta be someone out there aint there??? ANYONE????

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 10:17 am

...because I think I have some kind of AS, and I have two children. The older is 4 and is quite normal. The younger is just a baby and is similar to me in personality (shy, sensitive), but is apparently developing normally.

I acknowledge that autism is probably genetic. I, my two sisters, and my mom all have some kind of social communication disability, that I speculate is AS-ish. My brother I think has more classic AS. None of us are diagnosed, as none of us have ever been tested. I have only started looking into autism several days ago, but what I have been reading really describes me and my family of origin pretty accurately.

jelibean, I'm not really sure if there is a hidden meaning in your message. It seems kinda ranty.

I was just wondering if anyone may be in the same family structure as me.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 10:53 am

:oops: ooooh sorry didn't mean to be ranty!! ! Just get sick of folk blaming vaccines, mercury and anything else they can think of!

I am a very PRO genetics soul! I am surrounded by spectrum parents, grandparents, children and EVEN PARTNERS!! There are NO neurotypicals that I can remember, we were known as the mad family when I was a child!!

Of course many of our parents etc would never be diagnosed now but it isn't rocket science to see the pattern! And luckily for us on the spectrum we are great at working out patterns!

So the lack of take up on this thread is interesting. We call those on the spectrum jellybeans and neurotypicals marshmallows! And I am convinced it takes a jellybean to make a JELLYBABY! And in turn that jellybaby develops into a jellytot................jellyjunior and finally arrives at full jellybean status!! !

Sorry if I sounded off, promise you I am smiling :wink: :wink: :wink:

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 12:19 pm

I don't vaccinate my children. Maybe autism is related to vaccines, maybe not, but regardless, no noxious poisons for my babies! I feel especially protective of my younger one. He is just soooo sensitive and just soooo much like me. I feel like he is at some risk of being on the spectrum. I think that if the genetic autism is there, vaccines could make it worse.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 12:30 pm

mysterious_mifit

I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree. I think anyone who does not vaccinate their children is irresponsible. Unless there is a specific known side effect all children should be vaccinated. It is parents like you who endanger the rest of our children.

If your son is on the spectrum, he is ON it, no if's but's or maybe's, you can do NOTHING to stop it.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but at least it is the truth. SORRY! :wink:

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 1:10 pm

I totally respect your opinion. Vaccines can be a hard decision for any parent. I assure you my choice has been well-researched.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 1:16 pm

Thank you. The world would be a funny place if we all agreed.

I have based my decisions to VACCINATE my kids on empirical research also! Promise, I am a researcher, it is my job!

TAKE CARE! :wink:

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2008, 5:01 am

I've got 2, soon 3 adopted children and one bio daughter who is AS. All 3 adopted kiddos were drug-exposed prenatally and have their own issues due to that.

4 y/o DD is surely NT. She's loud and sassy and brassy, ADD, dramatic, and VERY social. She has some sensory processing issues and is a royal brat, but we love her to death and she keeps it interesting around here.

5 y/o DS is supposedly NT but has mild mental retardation, sensory integration disorder, autistic-type stims, very narrow interests, etc. I swear he's on the spectrum, but evaluators say no, he's too social.

6 month old baby is too young to tell, but is very sensitive to sensory input, likes sensory deprivation to sleep( a blanket over his head, etc.) and is VERY sensitive to changes in routine and environment.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 7:13 am

Mmmm sounds to me like they all might be jellybeans to me! ( we call everyone on the Autistic spectrum a jellybean and neurotypicals marshmallows!)

The drug history is obviously worrying but maybe the parents were on the spectrum also? Just excacerbated by drugs? Just a thought. You sound as though you have your hands full but it is lovely to hear how you describe them all, you adore them obviously. Keep up the good work but I would be a little wary of labelling them marshmallows just yet!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:01 am

My worst fear is that I could have a child on the spectrum, not because I would be embarrassed about him or her being different, but because I don't want them to go through teasing at school, as I was. I only went through one or two particularly bad years, but I would never want that to happen to anyone else. I am almost certain I have AS and hope, that if a child of mine ever did have it, they will be at least fortunate enough, as I was, to have coping mechanisms in place, such as a special interest or ability, to carry them through. Also, I will always have pets. They were, and are, a huge comfort to me.

Incidentally, I think a couple of my cats have AS traits. (I want to read that book, "All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome!") One is definitely OCD. I love them all!

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:10 am

9CatMum.............don't be embarrassed or worried if you child is on the spectrum!! EMBRACE IT!

If you are on the spectrum your child has a 50/50 chance of being on it with you! What was Dad like!

But if he/she is then they have the best mum possible, you know how to help, you know how it feels.

I am on the spectrum and so are ALL 5 of my kids. I am PROUD of them and they are proud of me. It helps when a parent admits to being on the spectrum. It can be a very lonely place sometimes!

Good luck though :wink:

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:25 am

9CatMom wrote:
My worst fear is that I could have a child on the spectrum, not because I would be embarrassed about him or her being different, but because I don't want them to go through teasing at school, as I was. I only went through one or two particularly bad years, but I would never want that to happen to anyone else. I am almost certain I have AS and hope, that if a child of mine ever did have it, they will be at least fortunate enough, as I was, to have coping mechanisms in place, such as a special interest or ability, to carry them through. Also, I will always have pets. They were, and are, a huge comfort to me.

Incidentally, I think a couple of my cats have AS traits. (I want to read that book, "All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome!") One is definitely OCD. I love them all!

Any kind of kid is up for teasing. Kids can be mean and it can be over something stupid like brand of clothing.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2008, 11:28 am

jelibean wrote:
Mmmm sounds to me like they all might be jellybeans to me! ( we call everyone on the Autistic spectrum a jellybean and neurotypicals marshmallows!)

The drug history is obviously worrying but maybe the parents were on the spectrum also? Just excacerbated by drugs? Just a thought. You sound as though you have your hands full but it is lovely to hear how you describe them all, you adore them obviously. Keep up the good work but I would be a little wary of labelling them marshmallows just yet!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Oh, I'm open to the possibility, especially for the 2 boys: baby and 5 y/o. After following Meth exposed kids into teenagerhood, researchers are finding a LOT more out about the effects it had on them. They know a lot more than they did 5 years ago when we adopted our first meth baby. Since Meth, like Cocaine, screws with the dopamine receptors, sensory integration disorders are common among exposed kids and so is ADD/ADHD. There is also a risk for mental/congnitive deficits. A lot of meth-exposed children have autistic-type traits ie: stimming, sensory seeking and avoidance, meltdowns, ODD, etc. 4 y/o DD is very ODD and prone to meltdowns. 5 y/o is also prone to meltdowns, but the psych thinks they are mostly due to frustration due to MR.

I'm very concerned about the baby being on the spectrum(obviously not a problem for us, but a concern) due to his rigidity with behaviors and his routine and how he plays with his toys too. He reminds me so much of our bio DD as a baby. He gets so frustrated when he can't manipulate his toys to do what he wants them to do and will scream and cry, he HAS to be held in a specific way when drinking his bottle or he will fuss and refuse to eat, he has to be held a certain way for rocking to sleep as well(working on getting him down without rocking now and he's doing better, but conditions in the room have to be "ideal" and so does his mood). When playing with a familiar toy that isn't frustrating for him, he'll be content to play for very long periods of time(which is great for me). So ya, I've got my concerns. We had some concerns over motor development as well, but since visitation with birth-mom has ceased and his routine and environment are more stable, he's pulled out of the regressive state he was in and is now rolling over, creeping, and getting on his hands and knees and rocking back and forth. Crawling will come soon.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:32 am

Hi Jennyfoo,

I am sending you a pm, you do have your hands full and I think your concerns are very valid indeed.

Hope the pm helps. :wink:

ster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 1:32 pm

hubby is aspie, oldest son is aspie, middle son is NT, daughter is currently dxed ADHD-hyperactive impulsive type-but think she's aspie as well..i'm NT