Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 4:12 pm

Ok, I have just downloaded the Bit Torrent client. Now I am used to d-l-ing tv episodes with a P2P program. With a P2P, When I click on the one I want , I see a blue loading bar slowly fill, and i have the ep in about 10-30 mins. But I can't seem to get anything done on BitTorrent. I find the torrent, I open it with the client, and it just says in the downloader "0% downloading", I check back later, and it's always 0%. Am I just being impatient, I mean, is an episode supposed to take hours before you get even 1%? I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 4:19 pm

The original BT client is a bit on the basic side. I recommend Azureus - it has a full interface like a P2P program so you can see d/l speed, how many seeders/leechers for the torrent, tracker status, etc. That way you can see what is going on and troubleshoot. :)

You can get it from http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 4:27 pm

It's sounds like their's no seeds. I've don't think I've ever used a P2P client before, so I don't know the differences that well.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 4:34 pm

I use E-mule, it is my fave P2P right now. I just got it an hour ago after much recommendations and am jiving away to the best of Eric Clapton 20 minutes after i started my search.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 4:35 pm

Thanks, I have the Azerus and am looking over it now.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 4:39 pm

eamonn wrote:
I use E-mule, it is my fave P2P right now. I just got it an hour ago after much recommendations and am jiving away to the best of Eric Clapton 20 minutes after i started my search.

Emule rocks, I've been using it for a couple of years now... its the best one for rare stuff, but can sometimes be slow if there are only a couple of sources. 8)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 10:26 pm

Be careful using P2P programs... you just might one day get a knock on the door from your friendly recording industry agents. :wink:

Anyway, as for Bittorrent, it helps to open ports on your firewall otherwise Bittorrent can be very slow.. I forget which ports need to be open, but I think it is 6881 and 6882.

EGMaria2004
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2005, 1:07 am

I've never been able to get bit torrent to work. I couldn't even download linux with it. That was even after setting the right ports and stuff up.

Then I found out my ISP is doing layer 7 traffic shaping of p2p and bittorrent stuff, ie the router actually opens every packet and looks inside it to see what it is so there's no hacking it, using non standard ports will not work :-( . They say it's to make voice over IP work better but that's nonsense.

Knasher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2005, 4:13 pm

You need to set up port forwarding on your router anyway. Your ISP might also be blocking porst 6881-6999 which are often used for BT so u may need to change to somthing other than those...