How many of you are currently on antidepressants ?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 2:46 pm

I'm asking this because I'm considering starting taking them again. I've taken a VERY low dose of paxil (10 mg per day) for 7 months and I remember positive effects on my mood. Right now I feel quite well, but a part of me is saying "take them and you'll have the extra-gear". Another part refuses because in some way I think: "I'm happy because I take them, it's a fake".

Thoughts ?

zee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 2:51 pm

I've never tried any, but I've often wondered what life would be like if I did. I know some people who've had negative experiences, and also I want to stay as true to my natural self as possible. But it'll be interesting to see what others say.

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2008, 2:51 pm

I am on 10mg Cipralex per day.

It has helped for a while, but I think I'm becoming accustomed to it and the effectiveness is wearing off. I'm hoping I won't need to switch meds or up the dose, because I do not want to become entirely reliant on medication.

I would not take it if I felt "quite well". Taking medication for an extra boost rather than because you cannot function without some medical help is, in my opinion, a bad idea. If you can function well enough without it, that's a wonderful thing.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 2:56 pm

zee wrote:
I've never tried any, but I've often wondered what life would be like if I did.

They made me 100 % NT for...an hour :wink:

I was so emphatic, I felt REALLY connected to my friend, no invisible wall, wow, that was a really impressive experience, I guess I'll never forget it

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:08 pm

*raises hand* I take Lexapro for both depression and OCD. My quality of life has greatly improved since I started taking it. My feelings are still easily hurt, and I'm still easily discouraged, but I'm not stuck in that heavy bog of serious depression anymore. In fact, I'm actually pretty content with my life.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:13 pm

When I took Effexor (after a long trial of experimenting with quite a few) 4 years ago I actually felt quite content.

I don't take any now, mostly because I don't really feel very depressed.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

I was diagnosed with depression, and given cymbalta. I decided it wasn't worth the risk, and quit.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

I don't, though at one time I did.

I'm MUCH better without them.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:15 pm

I have been on antidepressants (paroxetine) in the last 10 years at least. Oce I tried to quit them but I plunged in an horrible acute crisis with "short cut" ideas.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:28 pm

Same here about Cipralex. The effect is now wearing off after 9 months of being on it, and the depression is very bad. I can hardly function.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:29 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
I'm asking this because I'm considering starting taking them again. I've taken a VERY low dose of paxil (10 mg per day) for 7 months and I remember positive effects on my mood. Right now I feel quite well, but a part of me is saying "take them and you'll have the extra-gear". Another part refuses because in some way I think: "I'm happy because I take them, it's a fake".

Thoughts ?

I take Seroquel. I wouldn't be able to sleep without them.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:33 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:

Thoughts ?

I used to have severe insomnia, and I can't go to sleep unless I take my Risperdal every night.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:34 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:

Thoughts ?

Yeah, Seroquel helps me in that department as well.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2008, 4:10 pm

Ugh.

Im on Antidepressants- Effexor
Anti-psychotics- Seroquel
Mood Stabilisers- Topiramate

Really high dosages as well and it really sucks.
I've never really taken a low dosage/single anti-depressant so I can't really comment but I do think that if you are struggling it is something that should be considered. I don't see the point of being in inner torment when there is help available.
I don't like all of mine though and I don't want to be on them.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 4:22 pm

paolo wrote:
I have been on antidepressants (paroxetine) in the last 10 years at least. Oce I tried to quit them but I plunged in an horrible acute crisis with "short cut" ideas.

It sucks. I've been on an antidepressant for over 10 years as well but I still get depressed on and off. At times I can adjust the dose to the lowest possible amount, but I can never go completely off my medication without plunging into a really bad place. I'm probably screwed and have to be on it for life because my brain chemistry is f***ed.

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2008, 5:18 pm

I took them, but they didn't have much effect on me, and I suspected my doctor was a quack since he didn't officially diagnose me with anything, and I stopped too since my parents seemed to love the medicine more than me.