Anyone get measles, mumps, or chicken pox from the vaccine?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anyone get measles, mumps, or chicken pox from the vaccine?
yes 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
no 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
no, but I know someone who has 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 3:38 pm

With so much fuss about whether or not vaccines cause autism I thought I'd ask if anyone has ever gotten sick with the illness that they were vaccinated against from the vaccine itself?

I got measles from the vaccine. My husband got mumps from the vaccine, and my daughter got chicken pox from the vaccine. I guess it is very, very rare for this to happen. The doctor's didn't believe me when I called to report that my daughter had gotten chicken pox after her vaccine. They insisted that I bring her in for them to check. They confirmed it, and took pictures, and made a big fuss over it. That's why I gathered that it must be a rare occurance.

Last edited by serenity on 26 Apr 2008, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 4:03 pm

No. But I contracted Chickenpox at 31 and was running temperatures of between 103 and 104.

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 4:22 pm

I got mumps the hard way at 11. For all those who think a vaccine is not neccessary for such a childhood illness, I tell them this : My face blew up so much that my collarbone could not be seen (and I was thin at 11). At one point the pain was so much I ran round the house screaming.

I had rubella at 8. I was just lethargic. Measles I was vaccinated against.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 10:37 pm

I've noticed that when someone gets sick from the vaccine itself it's not as bad as when you get it normally. I barely got sick with the measles, and my daughter wasn't very sick either with the chicken pox.

I figured there has to be a reason as to why some people can get sick from vaccines, but not others. I was just trying to see if I could establish some kind of common link with info from people on here.

(For the record I am very, very pro-vaccine, so that's not at all where I'm going with this!)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:01 am

I had a reaction to it, i.e., fever and convulsions (but no known pathogen other than an allergic reaction), and a doctor said that I can't have such given to me again.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:03 am

It is impossible to get a vaccine-preventable disease from the vaccine itself.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:06 am

i got chickenpox when i was nine, over the summer.
whee, fun. :roll:

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:07 am

beau99 wrote:

...not really, no. it depends on which vaccine we're talking about.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:47 am

RampionRampage wrote:
beau99 wrote:

OK, maybe not impossible, but HIGHLY IMPROBABLE.

In the case of the MMR (and other live virus vaccines), the viruses are weakened to the point of them not being able to do anything unless your immune system is compromised. Most people don't have this issue.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2008, 5:44 am

I got chickenpox the hard way at age 5 if I remember... I was told not to scratch or it will scar, but at the time I couldn't care less and scratched like crazy... :roll:

As far as the other stuff, I don't think so... :?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 6:46 am

I was born in 1988 and got the MMR as far as I know. I never had measles, mumps or rubella and I know nobody personally who had any of these.

I got chicken pox of course. There was no vaccination against it back then.

Last edited by Sora on 27 Apr 2008, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 6:58 am

I assume people have done studies that disprove adverse reactions to such [a vaccine] as the cause for autistic disorder?

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:11 am

beau99 wrote:
RampionRampage wrote:
beau99 wrote:

OK, maybe not impossible, but HIGHLY IMPROBABLE.

In the case of the MMR (and other live virus vaccines), the viruses are weakened to the point of them not being able to do anything unless your immune system is compromised. Most people don't have this issue.

It IS very, very rare. I thought it was even more rare that I had married a man that had a reaction to the MMR (mumps) and had a child that had a reaction to the chicken pox vaccine. I'm not speculating here. My mom took me to the doc to prove it, and I took my daughter to the doc to prove it, and I believe my husband's mom took him to the doc, too. All of our immune systems were/are fine as far as I'm aware.

Given our history, I was really nervous vaccinating my boys. The only thing left to be caught was Ruebella, and I'm not sure what that is, but I was pretty sure I didn't want them to get it! They both have ASD, and neither had any adverse reaction to the vaccines.

catspurr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 10:21 am

Sora wrote:
I was born in 1998 and got the MMR as far as I know. I never had measles, mumps or rubella and I know nobody personally who had any of these.

Do you mean 1988?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:00 am

catspurr wrote:
Sora wrote:
I was born in 1998 and got the MMR as far as I know. I never had measles, mumps or rubella and I know nobody personally who had any of these.

Do you mean 1988?

Yeah. Thanks for pointing that out.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:16 am

I had chicken pox as a kid, no vaccine... I don't know anyone who hasn't had it, I don't know anyone who had anything more than itchy spots for a few days and a fever from it, I certainly have never heard of anyone dying from it or getting seriously ill, I've never heard of anyone with shingles... I really don't see the point in the vaccine. Just get it the natural way when you're young; best immunity you'll get.

I did get the MMR vaccine before my parents realised how harmful vaccines are, and I did get rubella as a child after having the booster as well (not right after, like a year after, but regardless I was vaccinated and I got it). Everyone in my school had it, and all were vaccinated.

Vaccines to me are a waste of time.

I know a girl who had measles after the MMR vaccine too.

I also reacted to the tetanus one; couldn't move my arm for about a month afterwards, it was very scary. It still gets sore today.