Anyone get measles, mumps, or chicken pox from the vaccine?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anyone get measles, mumps, or chicken pox from the vaccine?
yes 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
no 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
no, but I know someone who has 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 4:37 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
That's a reasonable temperature, but as far as I understand it a temperature is generally not as dangerous as they're made out to be - it's the body's way of dealing with an illness and 'sweating it out', as the case may be. Only when consciousness is lost and seizures start should you really start worrying (obviously).

I hope I don't come off as a know-it-all.

High but seemingly 'nothing happens' temperature are dangerous if they are steady over more than a few limited hours. 105°F/40.5°C is a temperature like that. Death usually happens at 108.68°F/42.6°C.

I assume most parents have no clue about where as fever starts. So they get worked up if their child has a temperature of 100°F/38°C for a day. That's not even considered a fever if it doesn't continue to rise.

A temperature up to about 102°F/39°C is a medium fever. Anything above 102/39 and rising is potentially dangerous.

At that rate it can still be ok if the person in question is getting along fine. But the opposite can be the case too. That's why it depends on the person.

If a temperature of 104°F/40°C persists people usually should be taken to a doctor or the hospital to get treatment to lower the fever. At 104°F/40°C everybody's proteins start to cook and dissolve. The additional problem is that different parts of our bodies have different temperatures. At 104°F/40°C some of our organs are at 106-108°F/41°C-42° already.
(Come to think of it, 43°C is probably more accurate for the inner organs by 40 overall?)

And of course, with kids it's safest to measure the temperature rectal to get it most accurate.

Edit: Fixed to make it say both Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Last edited by Sora on 27 Apr 2008, 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 4:52 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Wow, scars, oh no!! Guess what? So do I!

Umm, actually the scars don't bother me (I have much more extensive scarring from a ruptured appendix at age 12), and I'm not sure why your sarcasm was necessary. What I thought was more relevant was the fact that my fever reached 105 (impressive considering my fever only reached 105.5 with the massive infection caused by the ruptured appendix). I think most people would consider that to be seriously ill. And I was a otherwise healthy child (it likely would have been worse as an adult). I was just pointing out that chicken pox can be a dangerous virus, and some people do have very serious cases (especially as adults).

Perhaps I misunderstood your implication, in which case I apologise, but bringing in scars as a reason for vaccinating isn't really any good reason - as I said, anything can scar!

That's a reasonable temperature, but as far as I understand it a temperature is generally not as dangerous as they're made out to be - it's the body's way of dealing with an illness and 'sweating it out', as the case may be. Only when consciousness is lost and seizures start should you really start worrying (obviously). It can be dangerous, yes, but in adults - exactly why this vaccine is going to be so deadly. You stop the kids from getting it (given that it actually works, which I remain sceptical about) and the likelihood of them getting it as adults when the vaccine's efficacy wears off increases.

You think a fever of 105F is "not as dangerous as they make it out to be?" ARE YOU INSANE? I know a friend who was in Iraq who almost died of heatstroke, he had a temperature of 106F. Any temperature above 104F is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY, and that's not because of some conspiracy on part of doctors.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 5:09 pm

You'll have to excuse me, I don't work in fahrenheit - I just tried another converter and it gave me a different answer??

What is 105 in celcius - then I can comment, I should think.

Apologies for this, I'm a tad confused by how converters can say different things!! :?:

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 5:18 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
You'll have to excuse me, I don't work in fahrenheit - I just tried another converter and it gave me a different answer??

What is 105 in celcius - then I can comment, I should think.

Apologies for this, I'm a tad confused by how converters can say different things!! :?:

Ahh, sorry. I'll fix that to add Celsius!

I actually work in Celsius too!

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 5:27 pm

Ahhh! :D

Ok... the first and apparently wrong converter I found said 39 degrees C, which should explain my previous post!! Sorry for the misunderstanding!!

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 5:53 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
I had chicken pox as a kid, no vaccine... I don't know anyone who hasn't had it, I don't know anyone who had anything more than itchy spots for a few days and a fever from it, I certainly have never heard of anyone dying from it or getting seriously ill, I've never heard of anyone with shingles... I really don't see the point in the vaccine. Just get it the natural way when you're young; best immunity you'll get.

When I had the chicken pox in kindergarten I had a fever of 105. Also, even though I didn't scratch, I have scars.

In 7th grade, my math teacher got shingles and was hospitalized for it.

Normally in children Chickenpox is a mild illness. In adults, it can be a serious matter. While it is not common there are cases where Chickenpox can put you in the hospital and kill. After my bout with Chickenpox about three years later, I happened to get shingles. Strangely enough though, I only had a mild case of it. It was more of an annoyance than anything else and it only lasted about one and a half weeks.