Anyone get measles, mumps, or chicken pox from the vaccine?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anyone get measles, mumps, or chicken pox from the vaccine?
yes 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
no 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
no, but I know someone who has 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:16 am

I had chicken pox as a kid, no vaccine... I don't know anyone who hasn't had it, I don't know anyone who had anything more than itchy spots for a few days and a fever from it, I certainly have never heard of anyone dying from it or getting seriously ill, I've never heard of anyone with shingles... I really don't see the point in the vaccine. Just get it the natural way when you're young; best immunity you'll get.

I did get the MMR vaccine before my parents realised how harmful vaccines are, and I did get rubella as a child after having the booster as well (not right after, like a year after, but regardless I was vaccinated and I got it). Everyone in my school had it, and all were vaccinated.

Vaccines to me are a waste of time.

I know a girl who had measles after the MMR vaccine too.

I also reacted to the tetanus one; couldn't move my arm for about a month afterwards, it was very scary. It still gets sore today.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:31 am

I didn't know it was possible to get sick with something that you were fully vaccinated against. (unless it's directly after getting the vaccination as I had described)

I got chicken pox the old fashioned way. There were no vaccinations for it when I was a child. I got shingles once, too. It was just one flare up about 5 yrs ago, and I've never had a problem again.

I can see why they vaccinate against chicken pox now, though. It's mandatory for a child to enter kindergarten. If someone with a compromised immune system contracted chicken pox, or shingles they could die from it.

I know this one guy that his body never has gotten immune to chicken pox. Every time he's exposed to the virus he gets it, and he gets it really, really bad, too. It's really odd.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:36 am

LeKiwi wrote:
I had chicken pox as a kid, no vaccine... I don't know anyone who hasn't had it, I don't know anyone who had anything more than itchy spots for a few days and a fever from it, I certainly have never heard of anyone dying from it or getting seriously ill, I've never heard of anyone with shingles... I really don't see the point in the vaccine. Just get it the natural way when you're young; best immunity you'll get.

When I had the chicken pox in kindergarten I had a fever of 105. Also, even though I didn't scratch, I have scars.

In 7th grade, my math teacher got shingles and was hospitalized for it.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 11:48 am

Just the vax, topic

My two younger kids had all the vaxes except small pox and chicken pox. They both had the latter, a month before the vaccine came out. The former, small pox, is supposedly no longer a health issue unless you are traveling to certain countries.

I have had the flu shot every year since 1994 and I have not had the flu since. Yay! and boy did I get wicked flus. I thought I would die from all the coughing. 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 1:03 pm

I have never gotten sick from a vaccine.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 1:04 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

When I had the chicken pox in kindergarten I had a fever of 105. Also, even though I didn't scratch, I have scars.

In 7th grade, my math teacher got shingles and was hospitalized for it.

Wow, scars, oh no!! Guess what? So do I!

But you know what? I have scars from when I fell off my bike, should we vaccinate against that too? And from when I had a stick shoved through my leg at the beach, how about we vaccinate against sticks and beaches? Oh oh oh, and then there's the time the cat scratched me... vaccination needed? Mmm, and from when I fell off a playground and broke my arm, vaccinate against breaking arms? Or playgrounds? And the one above my eyebrow from hitting my head on the table when I was about 8... jab for tables needed?

Since when does "But it scars!" mean we need a vaccine? Pretty much anything under the sun can scar!!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 1:40 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Umm, actually the scars don't bother me (I have much more extensive scarring from a ruptured appendix at age 12), and I'm not sure why your sarcasm was necessary. What I thought was more relevant was the fact that my fever reached 105 (impressive considering my fever only reached 105.5 with the massive infection caused by the ruptured appendix). I think most people would consider that to be seriously ill. And I was a otherwise healthy child (it likely would have been worse as an adult). I was just pointing out that chicken pox can be a dangerous virus, and some people do have very serious cases (especially as adults).

Last edited by LostInSpace on 27 Apr 2008, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 1:45 pm

I had the mumps when I was 10 even though I was fully vaccinated, and the doctor thought that maybe I had a bad batch of the vaccine. The only thing I think the vaccine did was to lessen the severity of the disease itself because I don't remember feeling sick, only that my mom noticed that my neck was swollen.

There was no chickenpox vaccine when I was growing up, but even though I had it as a baby, I had enough immunity from it, that when my brother got it in the 1st grade, I was totally fine. Now, I do know a teacher who was out for a month because he got it as an adult from one of his students.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:15 pm

Exactly why the vaccine shouldn't be used, so people get it young and not at an older age when it can be dangerous. As children it's almost totally harmless - a fever and rash, and that's about it. Nothing to get worked up over.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:18 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Umm, actually the scars don't bother me (I have much more extensive scarring from a ruptured appendix at age 12), and I'm not sure why your sarcasm was necessary. What I thought was more relevant was the fact that my fever reached 105 (impressive considering my fever only reached 105.5 with the massive infection caused by the ruptured appendix). I think most people would consider that to be seriously ill. And I was a otherwise healthy child (it likely would have been worse as an adult). I was just pointing out that chicken pox can be a dangerous virus, and some people do have very serious cases (especially as adults).

Perhaps I misunderstood your implication, in which case I apologise, but bringing in scars as a reason for vaccinating isn't really any good reason - as I said, anything can scar!

That's a reasonable temperature, but as far as I understand it a temperature is generally not as dangerous as they're made out to be - it's the body's way of dealing with an illness and 'sweating it out', as the case may be. Only when consciousness is lost and seizures start should you really start worrying (obviously). It can be dangerous, yes, but in adults - exactly why this vaccine is going to be so deadly. You stop the kids from getting it (given that it actually works, which I remain sceptical about) and the likelihood of them getting it as adults when the vaccine's efficacy wears off increases.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:19 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Exactly why the vaccine shouldn't be used, so people get it young and not at an older age when it can be dangerous. As children it's almost totally harmless - a fever and rash, and that's about it. Nothing to get worked up over.

What about things that you can catch over, and over like whooping cough? If someone has a low immune system ( from child disintegrative disorder for example) they could get seriously ill over such an illness.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:21 pm

serenity wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

What about things that you can catch over, and over like whooping cough? If someone has a low immune system ( from child disintegrative disorder for example) they could get seriously ill over such an illness.

If they have a low immune system I'd argue that's even more reason for them not to be vaccinated.

jamescampbell
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

how about autism?

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=a5Ru-Tp27AM[/youtube]

i highly dout't this is true

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:43 pm

Oh please.

Not this anti-vaccine crap again!

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 3:43 pm

That's a whole new can of worms...

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 4:37 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
That's a reasonable temperature, but as far as I understand it a temperature is generally not as dangerous as they're made out to be - it's the body's way of dealing with an illness and 'sweating it out', as the case may be. Only when consciousness is lost and seizures start should you really start worrying (obviously).

I hope I don't come off as a know-it-all.

High but seemingly 'nothing happens' temperature are dangerous if they are steady over more than a few limited hours. 105°F/40.5°C is a temperature like that. Death usually happens at 108.68°F/42.6°C.

I assume most parents have no clue about where as fever starts. So they get worked up if their child has a temperature of 100°F/38°C for a day. That's not even considered a fever if it doesn't continue to rise.

A temperature up to about 102°F/39°C is a medium fever. Anything above 102/39 and rising is potentially dangerous.

At that rate it can still be ok if the person in question is getting along fine. But the opposite can be the case too. That's why it depends on the person.

If a temperature of 104°F/40°C persists people usually should be taken to a doctor or the hospital to get treatment to lower the fever. At 104°F/40°C everybody's proteins start to cook and dissolve. The additional problem is that different parts of our bodies have different temperatures. At 104°F/40°C some of our organs are at 106-108°F/41°C-42° already.
(Come to think of it, 43°C is probably more accurate for the inner organs by 40 overall?)

And of course, with kids it's safest to measure the temperature rectal to get it most accurate.

Edit: Fixed to make it say both Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Last edited by Sora on 27 Apr 2008, 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.