Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 9:23 am

Mad in the mirror topic

Maybe if we were literally mirrors, these problem-soaked NTs would see themselves as they really are. Ideally they would go and do something positive about it.

I suppose what happens next is that they blame us for showing them the reality, when they instigated the whole thing in the first place. And then the persecution begins.

Autistic people, like all minorities, tend to become mirrors. There is a whole psychology written around this. :x

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

dosh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2008, 7:44 am

Autistic people, like all minorities, tend to become mirrors. There is a whole psychology written around this.

This sounds really interesting. Can you point me in the direction of this literature?

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 8:39 am

I have noticed something like this before. Sometimes when people are talking to me I see their eyes moving rapidly, as if scanning me for my emotions, it usually results in a confused look. Sometimes people also get angry at me for no apparant reason, possibly because I'm not responding (non-verbally, or otherwise) in the way they expect me to.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 9:44 am

dosh wrote:
Autistic people, like all minorities, tend to become mirrors. There is a whole psychology written around this.

This sounds really interesting. Can you point me in the direction of this literature?

The mirror image topic

Dosh, we all know what a mirage is, and we all know that when a person sees him/herself in the mirror it is not 100% accurate. We have only seen ourselves in terms of a frame of reference of a mirror or reports from people (friends, and others). The quest for who we "really" are has always been a subject for research, and that research is psychoanalytic theory. This theory about mirror projection also encompasses other disciplines such as politics and sociology.

Aspergians and minority cultures such as Jews, African Americans and even disabled people represent those than the powerful/majority do not wish to be, and they are perceived as a threat because they are different. People fear that which they do not understand. It takes a lot of courage to understand someone who is different. Radically different people do not stay in power as there is a herd mentality. sometimes the powerful majority thinks the minority will herd themselves together and take over. As if. But it is an ever present fear.

In history, sometimes minorities are seen as a kind of dumping ground for the majority's fears. Dump it on them, they are used to it. Sometimes a minority person is used as a confessor of sorts, but in a different way, the projection way. Project all your crap onto them. They cannot fight back. No one will stick up for them anyway. Convince others how evil this minority is! History shows us how despicable they are. At different times in history women, lepers, Jews, Gays/lesbians/bisexuals/transgendered, Aboriginal peoples, African Americans and others have all been seen as the Other--exotic at best, the Devil at worst, to be murdered sporadically and more often than not, the subjects of genocide. Autistics may be next. We are certainly seen as exotic (Einstein, Gates, Grandin) or people to be destroyed through genetic screening (Autism Spooks:cure Autism now). Geneticide.

I am trying to find references for these ideas. They have come from social psychology, sociology, history, political power theory, religion, psychoanalytic theory and individual testimonies such as biographies and autobiographies. I have not found one book that adequately explains all, but i am looking for a psychology/sociology book I once had that listed certain concepts and descriptions of some of the above. I will get back to you.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:07 am

dosh wrote:
I am forever being accused by NTs of being this or that -- usually something negative -- even though I have said nothing to give them this impression. This seems to be a fairly common experience of those with AS.

I have the following theory. NTs, because they don't get the usual social/emotional feedback from people with AS, project their anxieties onto them.

Would be interested to hear what others think.

It is called othering. they are trying to find what makes you different from them, but are not doing a very good job at and do not understadn you well enough to come to such conclusion so they think of whatever comes up off the top of theri head.