Autism spectrum- what is the spectrum?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2008, 7:39 pm

so i wikipedia'd it ...good old wikipedia

The autism spectrum, also called autism spectrum disorders (ASD) or autism spectrum conditions (ASC), with the word autistic sometimes replacing autism, is a spectrum of psychological conditions characterized by widespread abnormalities of social interactions and communication, as well as severely restricted interests and highly repetitive behavior.[1]

The three main forms of ASD are autism, Asperger syndrome, and PDD-NOS. Autism forms the core of the autism spectrum disorders. Asperger syndrome is closest to autism in signs and likely causes. Pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) is diagnosed when the criteria are not met for a more specific disorder. Some sources also include Rett syndrome and childhood disintegrative disorder, which share several signs with autism but may have unrelated causes.[2] Unlike autism, Asperger's has no significant delay in language development.[3]

i've never heard of anything other then autism how do the rest effect people can you still be 'normal' or high functioning with another?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 9:23 pm

The autistic spectrum is like the color blue. Blue can be so light it is almost white, and so dark it is almost black, and so sedate that it is pastel, and so wild it could be flourescent, etc... Likewise, AS runs the gamut.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 9:29 pm

it's about 400-760 angstroms...;) As with any Bell curve, you'll find most averages in the middle, and progressively fewer as you go out some standard deviations...;)

krex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 10:47 pm

I would like a deffinition of "psycholigical" ? This seems very misleadnig to me. I believe the scientist have proven that this is not psychological but neurological. The fact that it is in the DSM is a matter of convenience(easier to find a psychologist then a neurologist) but it makes people think it is some form of "mental illness" and it is not. This is a bad science and really bothers me. A psychological "treatment" is not necessarily the best approach for a neurological condition and to perpetuate the idea that autism is psychological is not only a misnomer but misleading and harmful to autistics.....where ever they are on the spectrum.

"Spectrum"....this is another area that I believe needs further investigation. It is usually being defined as "function level" but I believe function is relative and fluid. I am high functioning in some areas (as they define it) and low in others (as they define it). To try and create a static measurement for a fluid process is counter intuitive and illogical. To try and isolate my function from the environment that I am trying to function in is absurd...they are directly related.

I wish we had the same stringent principles of logic and science applied to autism as we do in other areas of research. The current definitions and diagnostics is very flawed in my opinion.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2008, 11:25 pm

Autistic Disorder; LFA and HFA reside here
Rett's Disorder
CDD
Asperger's Disorder
SPLD (Semantic-Pragmatic Language Disorder)
NVLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder)
PDD-NOS; Atypical Asperger's; Atypical Autism; Atypical Autism/Asperger's combined; Comorbid Autism; Residual Autism
BAP (Broader Autism Phenotype)

BAP is those who show autistic like symptoms, but they aren't impeded by them compared to someone who has a more severe form; family members of individuals with autistic disorder show this often for example.

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 10:24 am

ok could anyone possible dum it down ? lol I really dont know anything apart from aspgers and autism so I would like to know what else is on the scale...spectrum whatever and what they are briefly
are any other high functioning, meaning you could be living for years without a dignoses because it just seems you have some slightly weird quirks?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 10:43 am

think there a few different spectrum conditions besides autism,mental illnesses commonly are referred to as having a spectrum impairment like autism.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

themonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 10:46 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Autistic Disorder; LFA and HFA reside here
Rett's Disorder
CDD
Asperger's Disorder
SPLD (Semantic-Pragmatic Language Disorder)
NVLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder)
PDD-NOS; Atypical Asperger's; Atypical Autism; Atypical Autism/Asperger's combined; Comorbid Autism; Residual Autism
BAP (Broader Autism Phenotype)

BAP is those who show autistic like symptoms, but they aren't impeded by them compared to someone who has a more severe form; family members of individuals with autistic disorder show this often for example.

I have BAP (Broader Autism Phenotype)

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:41 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
The autistic spectrum is like the color blue. Blue can be so light it is almost white, and so dark it is almost black, and so sedate that it is pastel, and so wild it could be flourescent, etc... Likewise, AS runs the gamut.

id rather compare it to a secondary color instead of a primary color for example

blue is just light and dark

but if u use green or purple or orange for example

lets say purple (for the sake that its my fav color)

Purple comes in many shades from reddish or pinkish purple to blueish purples
in each of those shades there are many shades varying from light to dark as well.

thats what the autistic spectrum is like there are many severitys of each condition on the autistic spectrum. One could have Autistic disorder but be more high functioning than some people with severe aspergers. just like a reddish purple can be lighter than a bluish purple

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:52 am

Don't you inderstand monochromatic radiation? Different lasers produce light of different wavelength. Other lasers produce visible light that is not visible, including infrared and ultraviolet light. This rainbow of colors, containing light of all wavelengths, is
called a continuous spectrum.

Violet merges into blue, blue into green and so forth with no blank spots...that's how ASD can be explained.