What is open dating or an open realtionship?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

wob182
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 10:40 am

From what i can gather i've never been a fan of not 'officially calling the guy i like my boyfriend'. It's just when he says he's my boyfriend i can finally relax..breathe because i'm clueless at games.

but i thought my terms were i date seriously or nothing, until someone turned around to me and pointed out i had been 'casually dating ' a guy i like for a month...i didn't even realise
what happened was we went on a date, and few weeks later another date and then i went over to his house twice we kissed (it was his first time he was shy and clueless) and then the next time i saw him i kissed him and said i would like to go out with you properly...

he coudnt do this so that was the end of that.

but there was another guy my 'best friend' which i do everything i did with my last boyfriend but kiss or sexual stuff. So I thought we just were close friends .
we discussed going out, but i kept saying no so we'd go back to friends. I kissed him finally and didnt like it but he asked me out saying were practically been going out anyway why not?
I WAS SHOCKED. HOW COULD IVE BEEN GOING OUT WITH SOMEONE AND NOT KNOW IT

so my question is define a open relationship ?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:27 am

Basically open dating is dating more than one person at the same time without real attachments or strings involved. You're getting to know each of them that you have a thing for. Enventually the idea is to find the one that you really feel you click with. That's the healthy aspect of it anyway.

Open relationships are a little different because there are usually some strings attached. You and your partner are OK with seeing other people while at the same time being intimate. Maybe some critics might disagree with me on this but that's how I've understood it.

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 12:10 pm

wob182 wrote:
so my question is define a open relationship ?

the direct path to a broken heart. :(

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 12:13 pm

^I second that. But some ppl are different I guess.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 12:24 pm

Not to generalize (well OK, that's exactly what I'm gonna do) but I've known a few people in my life who were into open relationships and they were all too smug and self-absorbed to be hurt emotionally by anyone else. So I'd say an open relationship is more like the direct path to herpes.

NeoPix
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2008, 12:29 pm

As exotic and exciting as it sounds to date as many "hotties" as you can, this is not practical and advisable. Your life will not be better for it. I know it sounds like a cliche, but really, the only road to true happiness (at least for me, anyway) is to build a life with one other person. There's no greater satisfaction than this.

If you're not looking for love and you're young, that's another story altogether, of course.

Anna4077
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 7:25 pm

[quote="NeoPix"]As exotic and exciting as it sounds to date as many "hotties" as you can, this is not practical and advisable. Your life will not be better for it. I know it sounds like a cliche, but really, the only road to true happiness (at least for me, anyway) is to build a life with one other person. There's no greater satisfaction than this.
quote]

ROFLMAO!! ! :lol:

Reminds me a bit of that old saying, a pervert is anybody who's having more sex than you.

Seriously wob 182, just relax...you are not in a "relationship" with any of these guys, at best you are (kind of, maybe) going out with at least one of them. If this other guy is really your 'best friend', he won't pressure you into doing anything you don't want to do.

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Apr 2008, 7:39 pm

I don't think you intended to say open relationship in this thread. I think you mean a relationship where you date and kiss, and possibly have sex, but you both call yourselves single, a situation becoming more frequent with the increasing popularity of facebook.

I frown upon this personally, but there is no harm in it. Until people start asking you out.

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 1:33 am

open relationships are a married or otherwise committed couple living their lives together while still dating or having sex with other people.

there's a couple rules. you completely separate the enjoyment from the intimacy (the two things that build relationships), you always talk about your intentions with your partner and lay them out from the start, and of course you always use protection.

i'm almost positive Bill and Hilary Clinton have an arrangement like this and are only together for political purposes. they focus on having a great working relationship and being good parents to their daughter but aren't really interested in each other sexually.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net