Yes 48%  48%  [ 14 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
Maybe 28%  28%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 29

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 8:13 pm

I made the decision to let love find me while I'm working on my education at Mason. I believe its a smart move on my account for many good reasons. I can also talk with my friend Michelle if I need advice since she recently got back together with her ex and she very helpful and understand what I'm going through sometimes. Education first love second is the best decision I went with in my love life ever. Don't you all agree?

Last edited by JerryHatake on 29 Apr 2008, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 8:17 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
I made the decision to let love find me while I'm working on my education at Mason. I believe its a smart move on my account for many good reasons. I can also talk with my friend Michelle if I need advice since she recently got back together with her ex and she very helpful and understand what I'm going through sometimes. Education first love second is the best decision I went with in my love life ever. Don't you all agree?

Perhaps you can find someone doing the same thing and both make a crapload of cash.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 8:19 pm

matrix wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

Perhaps you can find someone doing the same thing and both make a crapload of cash.

Maybe, It will happen when I least suspected.

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2008, 11:10 pm

Here I am, an abysmally lonely grad student on the verge of suicide and you're talking about how it's a wise choice not to see anyone while you're getting an education.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 11:19 pm

It would only work if you go to a place where women outnumber men by at least 3 to 1...

psychedelic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2008, 12:04 am

I am weird. It doesn't matter if there are a bunch of girls around. Somehow I'll manage to scare them off.

There's someone in my lab who actually seems interested in me. She has shown interest for several months now, on and off. (I think she might have a child or something and is three years my senior.) She usually looses interest when she thinks I'm not really interested in her anymore. In reality, I just don't know what to do. I think she has realized this the last month or so and know I don't know what she's thinking exactly.

I don't know what to do. I usually don't do anything.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 4:15 pm

psychedelic wrote:
Here I am, an abysmally lonely grad student on the verge of suicide and you're talking about how it's a wise choice not to see anyone while you're getting an education.

Well I'm a sophomore here and I still have plenty of time to find someone or visa versa. Patience is a key in my situation. You always have to a balance in life and thats what I'm doing now.

DanteRF
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2008, 5:52 pm

Your 20, I don't think you can say much of education or love. You don't know down the road, you may have a great job and no wife. You do what you need to, if a chance comes along take or don't there is no wrong way.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 6:22 pm

DanteRF wrote:
Your 20, I don't think you can say much of education or love. You don't know down the road, you may have a great job and no wife. You do what you need to, if a chance comes along take or don't there is no wrong way.

I agreed because I'm inexperienced with relsationships. That fact is due to my first and only relationship in my life so far which failed in the end.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 5:55 pm

Hey Jerry.

Good choice.
I too made a similar decision to wait to let love find me.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 6:00 pm

JerryHatake wrote:

Rationally thats a Very good plan JerryHatake, but I personally am just NOT patient enough to go about it that way.
IME as an undergrad I tried for several years to go about it that way, and I ended up with NOTHING.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2008, 6:31 pm

Somewhat related....

I'm not sure what your major is, but if you take an economics course with Prof. Rustici, he will tell you what love is what you should do :wink:

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 6:36 pm

Sargon wrote:
Somewhat related....

I'm not sure what your major is, but if you take an economics course with Prof. Rustici, he will tell you what love is what you should do :wink:

Um actually I'm in his Econ 104 class this semester. He talked about early in the semester and everyone had a laugh at it. My major is BA in Integrative Studies in Social Science for Education. I'm in New Century College.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2008, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Um actually I'm in his Econ 104 class this semester. He talked about early in the semester and everyone had a laugh at it. My major is BA in Integrative Studies in Social Science for Education. I'm in New Century College.

If he mentioned something about "reverse valuation", then he was serious, and by and large correct. I would heed his advice.

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2008, 6:59 pm

Now I'm curious. What did this professor say?

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2008, 10:04 pm

Basically, he said all love is is "reverse valuation" (he claims to have actually told his wife that he "reverse values her" when they got married). Normally, when you value something, you say how much it is worth to you and how much better it will make you off. To reverse value means you view that item as how much better off can you make it. In other words, o reverse value someone, you value their happiness and well being greater than your own. Many people who claim to love do not actually reverse value and as such do not really love the other person (interestingly or not, I've personally noticed many people appear to reverse value their children, but not their partner). An application of this one of my other professors noticed noticed is you should ask yourself if you are capable of reverse valuing someone; if presently you think not, then actively seeking "love" will likely end in disappointment (of course this requires being very unbiased).