Yes 48%  48%  [ 14 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 7 ]
Maybe 28%  28%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 29

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2008, 10:04 pm

Basically, he said all love is is "reverse valuation" (he claims to have actually told his wife that he "reverse values her" when they got married). Normally, when you value something, you say how much it is worth to you and how much better it will make you off. To reverse value means you view that item as how much better off can you make it. In other words, o reverse value someone, you value their happiness and well being greater than your own. Many people who claim to love do not actually reverse value and as such do not really love the other person (interestingly or not, I've personally noticed many people appear to reverse value their children, but not their partner). An application of this one of my other professors noticed noticed is you should ask yourself if you are capable of reverse valuing someone; if presently you think not, then actively seeking "love" will likely end in disappointment (of course this requires being very unbiased).

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 10:16 pm

Sargon wrote:
Basically, he said all love is is "reverse valuation" (he claims to have actually told his wife that he "reverse values her" when they got married). Normally, when you value something, you say how much it is worth to you and how much better it will make you off. To reverse value means you view that item as how much better off can you make it. In other words, o reverse value someone, you value their happiness and well being greater than your own. Many people who claim to love do not actually reverse value and as such do not really love the other person (interestingly or not, I've personally noticed many people appear to reverse value their children, but not their partner). An application of this one of my other professors noticed noticed is you should ask yourself if you are capable of reverse valuing someone; if presently you think not, then actively seeking "love" will likely end in disappointment (of course this requires being very unbiased).

Personally I have my own system and Dr. Rustici has some good points there.

Last edited by JerryHatake on 02 May 2008, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2008, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Personally I have my own system and Rustici has some good points there. I reserve value love more than likely because happiness and well being are more important than yourself. I do with some of my friends as well through friendship.

Just to clarify, reverse valuation is love.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 6:18 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
I made the decision to let love find me while I'm working on my education at Mason. I believe its a smart move on my account for many good reasons. I can also talk with my friend Michelle if I need advice since she recently got back together with her ex and she very helpful and understand what I'm going through sometimes. Education first love second is the best decision I went with in my love life ever. Don't you all agree?

I don't know if I'll agree with that...
It's the waiting for love thing.

Let's see...
Times I've gotten a GF by doing nothing about it: 0

Times I've gotten a GF by making an effort: 1, and close a couple other times

I think the latter strategy shows more hope of having a partner.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 6:25 pm

Zara wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
I made the decision to let love find me while I'm working on my education at Mason. I believe its a smart move on my account for many good reasons. I can also talk with my friend Michelle if I need advice since she recently got back together with her ex and she very helpful and understand what I'm going through sometimes. Education first love second is the best decision I went with in my love life ever. Don't you all agree?

I don't know if I'll agree with that...
It's the waiting for love thing.

Let's see...
Times I've gotten a GF by doing nothing about it: 0

Times I've gotten a GF by making an effort: 1, and close a couple other times

I think the latter strategy shows more hope of having a partner.

Everyone is different and so is their dating styling.
Same thing with effort here as well.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 6:29 pm

psychedelic wrote:
I don't know what to do. I usually don't do anything.

Well, I'd probably say that's your problem.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 6:33 pm

I remain exceedingly skeptical of this theory of "reverse valuation" :? . To love is care about someone As Much as yourself. Valueing someone MORE than yourself is obsequious and codependent. Women seem to be Really turned off by such men. They see guys like that as needy and lacking self-respect.

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 May 2008, 7:42 pm

Quote:
I remain exceedingly skeptical of this theory of "reverse valuation" Confused . To love is care about someone As Much as yourself. Valueing someone MORE than yourself is obsequious and codependent. Women seem to be Really turned off by such men. They see guys like that as needy and lacking self-respect.

Reverse valuation is not the same thing as being needy or codependent. A good example is probably more on the lines of willing to trade your life for theirs if it comes down to it type of thing (something most needy guys probably would not do). Many people who are "in love" will do something that their partner wants to do (even if they don't) because they reverse value them (of course it normally goes both ways). I've seen girls reverse value guys (my coworker has a few girls pursing him), and they are not needy nor lack self-respect (quite the opposite in most cases); however, he doesn't reverse value any of them which is probably why he hasn't acted on it (as he says he could have a "good time" with some of them, but that isn't his goal).

Poeticromance
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2008, 9:28 pm

I have to ask JarryHatake...

Do you like Kakashi!?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 9:47 pm

Poeticromance wrote:
I have to ask JarryHatake...

Do you like Kakashi!?

Used to but this was a name of a character I made for a book.

Last edited by JerryHatake on 04 May 2008, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2008, 10:00 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
It would only work if you go to a place where women outnumber men by at least 3 to 1...

Pfft, I've been in the Education AND Psychology programs and it still ain't working.

Tohlagos
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 11:11 pm

Jerry, the opinion that matters the most about your decision is you. If you feel right with it, then go with it.

I feel you are being wise. Relationships can come and go, but once school is done, it is done.

Hope school is going well for you.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 4:43 pm

I apparently I still have feelings for my friend, Michelle. Though she with her ex again, I just can't get rid of them. We're friends and all. Maybe she realize something about our friendship when we get together over the summer break. It is a hopeful chance for it to happen. I'll take a shot there if something happen between us like that.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2008, 7:36 pm

Should I even tell her yet about these feelings?