Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 4:17 pm

steveos87 wrote:
Gmail is for punky, dumb, and hip people and doesn't give me a professional mail client (Outlook/Notes) like feel, and thats why Gmail hasn't changed their UI.

If by "professional" you mean "clunky" and/or "cluttered", then I would agree with you. The gmail client is far less intrusive on my screen than outlook or thunderbird (which is surprising given that gmail has the client with ads on it). I'm not punky, dumb (to the best of my knowledge), or hip, and yet I use gmail for almost all of my mail. I can access gmail on any machine (before they capped individual file size to 20 megs, it also doubled as a personal file server), and I don't need to dedicate hard drive space on each of my machines to save 4 copies of the same email.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 4:43 pm

Actually, one of the key comments about the changes to the look and feel of the Lotus Notes Web client is that it should be as easy to use as Gmail.

I find the Gmail interface brilliant and simple.

Folders are so... last week. Tags are better.
Lotus used to use tags until the world went stupid with MS and they were forced to follow. Hopefully they'll give tags back soon, now that it's obvious that they're the correct way to go.

steveos87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2008, 4:55 pm

gbollard wrote:

Folders are so... last week. Tags are better.
Lotus used to use tags until the world went stupid with MS and they were forced to follow. Hopefully they'll give tags back soon, now that it's obvious that they're the correct way to go.

I am not going to comment on MS and how its "world went stupid" - because thats going to create a thread war and I don't want to get into another subject. I like tags too for calendar and tasks, not too sure with email - its hard for people whom learn on one UI and change to another, especially a MS or Hotmail product (I stopped using Hotmail a loonngg time ago).

The reason why Outlook was such a standard for non Exchange users, was it's killer UI. Because Exchange/Outlook was standard for many mid to smaller size organizations, everyone wanted Outlook, because it was a very user friendly UI and made people look important. For people that can't have or get Outlook - Thunderbird still is behind from Outlook, and its still simplistic compared between the two - but better than Outlook Express. Notes is a great client, but it too is conterverisal. Its a love and hate kind of client. The earlier versions was more painful, and now at version 8, it seems to be more user friendly than it was ever before.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 5:26 pm

Why are tags better than folders....

Folder Example:
I have to have a folder for
- Microsoft Invoices
- Microsoft Licences
- Lotus Invoices

To find the appropriate thing, I have to look in the correct folder.

etc...

OR:

I can have the following tags;
Microsoft, Lotus, Invoices, Licences

That way I can search for All Invoices, All Microsoft or just Microsoft Invoices.

At work, we have an addition to our Notes mail system where we can add tags for Company Name (pulled from our address book), Document Type, Project code etc... (there's a lot more). This gives us absolutely amazing search functionality.

Personally, I delete everything at work once I've completed the task, knowing that I can search for it on the server if I ever need it.

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2008, 9:10 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I use Thunderbird with a Gmail account.

same here. i like the interface to both of them.

they also manage quite a large lot of emails easily too for me

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 9:16 am

OS X's Mail program with AOL and gmail accounts directed to it, though I don't really use the gmail. I have been considering switching over to Thunderbird, though, since Mozilla has worked out well for me in terms of web browsers.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2008, 10:12 am

Since getting a Vista (spit) laptop rather than using the default Windows Mail I've installed Thunderbird. Still getting used to it after using Outlook Express for years on XP.

I take the view that sooner or later I'm ditching Microsoft completely so am getting used to the alternatives gradually.

Does anyone know if Thunderbird runs on Ubuntu?

drybones
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2008, 5:28 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Does anyone know if Thunderbird runs on Ubuntu?

yes, runs fine for me under 7.10

i use a few extensions and manage about 40K messages spread over numerous folders in 1 account (i use a lot of custom filters)

all works fine