Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

30 Apr 2008, 10:38 pm

I hate the genius stuff and all the math stuff and mechanical stuff about us. Makes us look like we are all geeks. Especially with computers.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:16 pm

Psycho_jimmy wrote:
Oh, and my favourite - Aspergers is most definitely NOT caused by global warming, Jesus or vaccinations!

Global warming :?: :!: :?:

That's a new one on me. I feel for the mothers of autistic kids who get the "refrigerator mother" crap thrown at them. There's a comic strip named "Clear Blue Water" that has a mom with an autistic son. It sometimes shows the problems people have talked here about with public reactions to his stimming. It's pretty cool.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 12:15 am

Psycho_jimmy wrote:
Oh, and my favourite - Aspergers is most definitely NOT caused by global warming, Jesus or vaccinations!

If aspergers was caused by Jesus, it would at least justify a holier-than-thou attitude...

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 12:53 am

Psycho_jimmy wrote:
Aspergers is most definitely NOT caused by global warming, Jesus or vaccinations!
Correct! Aspergers is most definitely caused by global warming, Jesus and vaccinations!

P.S. Don't ferget about Hitler!

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 1:10 am

Sadly, it seems that myths, fabrications, half-truths, falsehoods, inaccuracies, and overly simplistic ideas about almost anything (including but not limited to ASD's) travel & stick in people's minds much more than the complex multifaceted versions of "true reality".

For instance, a media headline will say all sorts of sensational things in huge front page typeface-any correction to the story will appear on back page in tiny print. Which do you think will get more attention/notice ?

It's just so much "easier" (for a brain confronted with constant complexity & difficult to resolve/integrate information) to believe wrong things. Takes much more effort & constant checking to try to remain faithful to how things really are in the here & now, for each individual person (rather than indulging in a blanket/broad generalization for all people at all times).

sim
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 6:21 am

"Actions speak louder than words, but the latter travels much, much faster."

:/

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 12:38 pm

The only one that annoys me is that AS is a "trendy" diagnosis, kinda like ADHD in younger kids. The few people that don't say "huh?" when I tell them I'm AS are like "oh, that?". Anyone who knows me who actually takes the time to read a little about it is always struck by how close I am to the description, but most people don't take the time.

Psycho_jimmy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 May 2008, 12:17 am

I think maybe the false pity is the worst part.
When someone noticed something different about me and I had to explain Aspergers before; that was bearable if uncomfortable.
Now, though, if I tell someone, I also have to try and convince them that what they think they already know is wrong.
FOr the last time, Aspergers is not a "social disease"! Poverty is a social disease; where do people get off labelling Aspergers as such? Or as a disease of any form? It's not as if it could be cured - at least, not without essentially destroying us.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 12:27 am

The vaccination one does my HEAD in. There have been SO many studies finding no link, the medical community has officially ruled it out, but you get these smart mouthed parents who INSIST black and blue that vaccination made their kid autistic. They go around making up false studies and all kinds of crap. They are so stupid and what gets me is how they are obsessed with looking for blame instead of accepting their children. Idiots.

And yes I hate the assumption that we are geniuses...cos I'm certainly not :(

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:41 am

Liopleurodon wrote:
What gets me is the "well, I once met/knew/heard of/read about a person with AS and you're not like him/her."

[String of expletives not appropriate for this forum]

I HATE when people say that. Oh right, you met ONE autistic person, and so the estimated 40 million (1 in 150) of us worldwide must all be exactly the same as that specific individual?! !

darkstone100
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 8:01 am

peoples ignorance will only be dissapated when we get out there and speak for ourselves
show them our side of things and not let just autism speaks(or others like them) say they know about autism.

Psycho_jimmy

03 May 2008, 4:48 am

Another one; this new generation of neurotypical children given the Asperger diagnoses by parents looking for an excuse for bad behaviour.
My younger brother had a customer in the store he works at make an excuse for her childs behaviour. Verbatim; "His Autism's getting worse."
Wow. I had no idea it was progessive-degenerative. Who knew?
Apparently this bogan b***h.
My older brother is Autistic; so my younger brother has enough experience to know what behaviours qualify. Running around, swearing, screaming and throwing things isn't. That's just a bogan brat.

For our American friends; think of bogan as redneck-whitetrash-imbecile. Illiterate, uneducated, ugly, racist simpletones.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 6:34 pm

That we have no empathy. I have a lot of empathy for other people who are dealing with real problems and emotional turmoil. The type of empathy that I don't have, is if a woman has a pimple or breaks a fingernail, or if a young man gets mocked, because he's not wearing the right brand of ball style cap. I do feel empathy, but for the right reasons.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 7:31 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That we have no empathy. I have a lot of empathy for other people who are dealing with real problems and emotional turmoil. The type of empathy that I don't have, is if a woman has a pimple or breaks a fingernail, or if a young man gets mocked, because he's not wearing the right brand of ball style cap. I do feel empathy, but for the right reasons.

Yea. I probably act more empathetic then a lot of my NT classmates. For example I will never join in picking on someone, ever. It doesn't matter if they are the most universally despised person in the entire school.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

04 May 2008, 3:18 am

MysteryFan3 wrote:
I feel for the mothers of autistic kids who get the "refrigerator mother" crap thrown at them.

Yes I had that one thrown at me by our former GP. (2 of my 3 sons are diagnosed with Asperger's).

I was also told my anxiety was the cause of one of my sons's difficulties when I was in the process of seeking diagnosis for him. This was by a teacher!

So I'm an anxious refrigerator!

Helen

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 9:39 am

If i had to choose between myths, I would pick the "god made you the way you are, so it would be a sin to try and change that" people over the

"MERCURY!MERCURY!CHELATION!"

people ANY day.
:D