Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 10:15 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7374846.stm

I have HPPD, and emailed Dr Hoffman and never got a reply. >_<

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 10:24 am

I have had many conversations with Dr. Hoffman while experiencing his lovely discovery.

Requiescat In Pace, Dr. Hoffman

Merle

AlteredEgo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2008, 10:31 am

:(

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 10:43 am

Khan_Sama wrote:

how do you know that its HPPD and not synesthesia?

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 11:32 am

Maybe because it only started after he did a bunch of LSD?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:42 am

I wonder what taking LSD would be like for someone over 100 years old?

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:55 am

Shayne wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:

I never got myself diagnosed, so I'm not sure. My HPPD is very mild. I can make out difference between colours and stuff, things just shake a little bit here and there. I can notice distortions in walls and such. Difficult to explain, but it does not hamper my day to day life. DP/DR is not present. I guess i can say that my current HPPD is 2-5% as intense as my original trip. However, LSD is the only cause.

abram
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2008, 12:18 pm

Venger wrote:
I wonder what taking LSD would be like for someone over 100 years old?

just the same as for someone 10 years old. i once saw a documentary about LSD in the 60s and there were children, around 10-11 years old who has done it and what they had experienced seemed to be pretty much the same that everyone else had experienced. i personally haven't taken LSD and don't want to, because i have eaten mushrooms and the effect lasted about 8-9 hours and the highpoint was around 2-3 hours. i've heard that LSD works like the peak of shroom-high but lasts up tp 12 hours. that would be too exhausting i think, and too many possibilities during this time for the trip to go bad.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 12:18 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:
Shayne wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:

I never got myself diagnosed, so I'm not sure. My HPPD is very mild. I can make out difference between colours and stuff, things just shake a little bit here and there. I can notice distortions in walls and such. Difficult to explain, but it does not hamper my day to day life. DP/DR is not present. I guess i can say that my current HPPD is 2-5% as intense as my original trip. However, LSD is the only cause.

I, too, have been sensitized to auras, colors and spacial distortions. I have 'lifted the veil' of this dimension and saw the nature of things. I didn't take LSD to remain the same, nor did I wish to go back to being the same after experiencing it. I understand if you felt somehow you shouldn't be changed, but that is not the nature of LSD.

Merle

who would NEVER go back to being 'the same'.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 12:39 pm

is HPPD the same as the "flashback" phenomenon?

or can flashbacks be non-persistant?

i get visual effects if i look at textured ceilings sometimes. the light and dark parts of the textures somewhat separate into two visibly separate layers, the darker layer usually appearing in the foreground and the lighter layer in the background. the layers may move or rotate slightly and independently of eachother.

ive noticed it most frequently sitting in a dentist's examination chair.

ive pointed out some things as a child that made my mother wonder if anyone gave me LSD.

such as the color of her face being made up from a mixture of a lot of colors, also if i looked at a piece of plain white paper, it was easy to see that it wasnt just plain white and the shadows of the fibers pretty much stood out to me, which was responded to as being bizzare.

i struggled greatly to read gulliver's travels when i was 10, i described colors like greens and pinks surrounding the words when i tried to describe why it was causing me visual distress.

can HPPD be hereditarily aquired, like if my parents did LSD and shrooms and meth ?

ive considered more just the possibility of being hypersensative to light and thus my eyes become fatigued and things get distorted.

Last edited by Shayne on 30 Apr 2008, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 2:52 pm

Is it possible that HPPD, or at least some of it might be the result from 'switching off' some of your perceptual filters? - in other words the things you notice were there all through your lifetime, but your visual cortex was busy filtering them out so you were never conciously aware.

Some people on another forum said they were seeing 'the static' for a long time after psychedelic usage (months or years i cant remember) but eventually they learnt to turn it on & off at will. IIRC the ability to turn their filters back on was preceded by coming to terms with the effects - seeing them as a natural phenomena rather than something defective implying a loss of 'reality' iyswim.

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 6:56 pm

visual snow IS one of those things that are present in all of our visions, its an effect caused by the mechanism that make our vision, but the brain does filter it out so most people don't notice it. there are people that do see it or can see it if they concentrate on it.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 11:49 pm

Shayne wrote:
is HPPD the same as the "flashback" phenomenon?

sorry, i don't know anything about HPPD, but I have taken a lot of LSD

Shayne wrote:
[or] can flashbacks be non-persistant?

sure, i taught myself to manipulate when i want to see it and when i don't. Doesn't always work but i have had a long time to work on it :wink:

Shayne wrote:
i get visual effects if i look at textured ceilings sometimes. the light and dark parts of the textures somewhat separate into two visibly separate layers, the darker layer usually appearing in the foreground and the lighter layer in the background. the layers may move or rotate slightly and independently of eachother.

well, I didn't really understand actually what I was seeing for a long time, and just mostly played with seeing it and not seeing it, then moving my perception between the layers to the other layers above and below. Looking for it is how I saw more of it.

Shayne wrote:
ive noticed it most frequently sitting in a dentist's examination chair.

are you pumping a lot of adrenaline in the dentist's chair? I know I would be.

Shayne wrote:
ive pointed out some things as a child that made my mother wonder if anyone gave me LSD.

such as the color of her face being made up from a mixture of a lot of colors, also if i looked at a piece of plain white paper, it was easy to see that it wasnt just plain white and the shadows of the fibers pretty much stood out to me, which was responded to as being bizzare.

most people don't see so far into it, Shayne, they just don't have the perception

Shayne wrote:
i struggled greatly to read gulliver's travels when i was 10, i described colors like greens and pinks surrounding the words when i tried to describe why it was causing me visual distress.

can HPPD be hereditarily aquired, like if my parents did LSD and shrooms and meth ?

LSD only amplifies what is. What is is what you perceive it to be. the colors of your mothers face is made up of atoms that are mostly . . .what? empty space? you are seeing past the veneer of skin and into the infinite.

Is this perception transmitted down the generations through the genes? I have no idea! Maybe you are the generation that will answer that question. :wink:

Shayne wrote:
ive considered more just the possibility of being hypersensative to light and thus my eyes become fatigued and things get distorted.

yeah, that is when I have more problems with bouncing back and forth between the perceptions. Something about the optic nerve that is used in perceiving it gets short circuited in too much light or too tired.

Merle

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2008, 3:07 am

"are you pumping a lot of adrenaline in the dentist's chair? I know I would be."

i think im pretty calm in that situation, when i was little i used to freak and grab and rip buttons off of dentist's shirts but eventually the whole thing became a nice experience for me.

"LSD only amplifies what is. What is is what you perceive it to be. the colors of your mothers face is made up of atoms that are mostly . . .what? empty space? you are seeing past the veneer of skin and into the infinite. "

wouldnt there be a limit on what my eyes could actually percieve though being that they are made from similar structures? or are we not talking about my eyes seeing?

"Is this perception transmitted down the generations through the genes? I have no idea! Maybe you are the generation that will answer that question. :wink: "

there are other things that are passed along besides genetics. i wasnt really talking about genetics.

ty for your attention merle

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 7:34 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:
Shayne wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:

I, too, have been sensitized to auras, colors and spacial distortions. I have 'lifted the veil' of this dimension and saw the nature of things. I didn't take LSD to remain the same, nor did I wish to go back to being the same after experiencing it. I understand if you felt somehow you shouldn't be changed, but that is not the nature of LSD.

Merle

who would NEVER go back to being 'the same'.

Oh, I don't mind my condition either, but you seem to have flashbacks. Conditions such as depersonalization and derealisation coexist with HPPD. These problems disappeared for me 4 weeks after quitting pot, but I do believe they don't disappear for the vast majority. And for those who had an intense trip... I've read stories of people with HPPD that's just as intense as the original trip, who have difficulty doing simple things such as driving, writing, reading, etc. Life sucks in such cases. My HPPD is barely noticeable at this stage.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 11:31 am

Shayne wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
are you pumping a lot of adrenaline in the dentist's chair? I know I would be.

i think im pretty calm in that situation, when i was little i used to freak and grab and rip buttons off of dentist's shirts but eventually the whole thing became a nice experience for me.

sinsboldly wrote:
"LSD only amplifies what is. What is is what you perceive it to be. the colors of your mothers face is made up of atoms that are mostly . . .what? empty space? you are seeing past the veneer of skin and into the infinite.

Shayne wrote:
wouldnt there be a limit on what my eyes could actually percieve though being that they are made from similar structures? or are we not talking about my eyes seeing?

yeah, that's right. It's through the sense of sight, but it is beyond just seeing.

sinsboldly wrote:
Is this perception transmitted down the generations through the genes? I have no idea! Maybe you are the generation that will answer that question. :wink:

Shayne wrote:
there are other things that are passed along besides genetics. i wasnt really talking about genetics.

yeah, I was talking about being around people that already know there is more to 'reality' than just what we can see with our physical eyes.

Shayne wrote:
ty for your attention merle

sure, Shayne, I like talking about this. :)