My uncle might have a mild case of aspergers should i tell?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

nightbender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 12:47 pm

My uncle has many apsie symptoms, hes sort of borderline between as and nt. SHould mention that to him the next time i see him?

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 12:48 pm

Yes, maybe it could help him but he may not believe you and be in denial.

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 1:01 pm

Well, does he have issues that seem to be related to AS? If he's happy and doing great, I say don't bring it up. If he's struggling socially or professionally, I say bring it up.

olle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2008, 1:16 pm

The same goes for my uncle. :o He is living alone, and when i think about it, and try to remember the last time i met him, i think he acts a bit aspie. I might send him an email and ask some day. The thing is, i'd like to find out if this is something that runs in the family. :wink:

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 2:43 pm

You always have to ask, what do I want to see happen from giving such information? What will happen?
If you don't know what will happen, ask what is the worst thing that could happen? If the worst thing is more than you want to deal with, don't. If the worst thing is a few days of awkwardness, then go for it.

olle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2008, 2:50 pm

lelia wrote:
You always have to ask, what do I want to see happen from giving such information? What will happen?
If you don't know what will happen, ask what is the worst thing that could happen? If the worst thing is more than you want to deal with, don't. If the worst thing is a few days of awkwardness, then go for it.

You're right of course. But it's also quite possible that he knows of this already. I happened to stumble across the Wikipedia page about Asperger's just a few months ago. Since he's a few decades older than me, and he works as a developer in the IT field where aspies are not uncommon, he might know way more than me about this already.

EDIT: Ok, I didn't realize the reply wasn't for me. Seems like I kidnapped yet another thread... :wink: