Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2008, 11:04 pm

That's why I like wearing a jacket or hoodie with pockets. It gives me a place to keep my hands that doesn't make me look wierd.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 12:01 am

I walk fast. Every day I find myself behind people walking at a normal pace, and for some reason it's hard to slow myself down. Even if I'm not going anywhere important, I seem to want to do it efficiently.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 1:38 am

[quote="Danielismyname"]It's common for people with ASDs to refrain from swinging their arms when they walk, this gives them an unique gait that's easy to see. It's also common for them to have a rigid and stiff posture.

Gait and posture abnormalities are common.[/quote

I didn't swing my arms as a child and as an adult I'm still conscious
of not being relaxed when I walk in public.It's almost as if my mind
sees the very ground beneath my feet as hostile and I'm reluctant to
let my body interact with it !

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2008, 1:51 am

I definitely have an odd posture/gait, although I've improved markedly since I was younger.

My walk, if I don't consciously control it, is fast, head down, shoulders hunched, and feet shuffling. As a result of not lifting my feet enough, I tend to easily trip over pavement cracks and other minor obstacles that most people wouldn't even notice. But the most obvious anomaly is the way I hold my arms. I have them sort of t-rex style, or like a Yoshi (Mario games). Bent at the elbow, tightly at my sides, and jutting forward with my wrists hanging limply.

I can walk more 'normally' if I make a conscious effort, but inevitably, my arms do that dinosaur thing again. To me, it doesn't make much sense... my balance is awful anyway (I have Dyspraxic tendencies and very weak muscle tone), so keeping my arms pinned to my side at the elbow is counterproductive to keeping good balance, especially when I'm so liable to trip.

But I can't help it :P