Facebook: the height of mindlessness?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 10:50 pm

*shrug* I don't mind it; I have one, which I use solely to respond to a message or two that might end up coming to me (almost always about a group project). The inbox is much nicer than the phone, and I don't have to rush around getting everyone's emails.

The social things on it are largely ignored, at least for me. I'll join a group every once in awhile, depending on what it is, but I rarely do anything about it.

The comparing people things make me laugh. I was the third best companion on a deserted island for awhile, for God knows what reason; I don't know if they thought I could figure out how to get us off or what, but I'm definitely not much company. And how do you rate someone's smile? Is there a prettiness factor on that? I haven't seen the chart for it. They don't have categories that I can answer (invades personal space most often, loudest, ect).

Three years!

little-bird
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2008, 5:36 pm

Liopleurodon wrote:
To be honest, I don't really see the problem with it. You don't have to add the inane applications. You don't have to buy into what's important to other people. I find facebook useful because it allows me to have a limited amount of contact with people. so that they can tell that I care about them, but I don't have to spend a lot of time in uncomfortable social situations which I would rather avoid. The competition about friends lists and stuff like that is only an issue if you buy into it.

It sounds to me as though the problem you have with facebook is not with facebook itself but with the people whom you know who use it.

i agree
i too, personally use facebook as a way of catching up with some of my friends and family every now and then, without having to go through the usual social rigours. i also agree that it's full of crap apps, and people primping and preening themselves like a great big freak parade, but i don't really care, because i am not like that, don't take part in it, don't want to...

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 6:04 pm

Perambulator wrote:

The dark side of it is I think that social networking sites are glamourizing and promoting stupidity. How many people talk about science or art over facebook? Or intellectual theories? Or anything that will be worth reading in 20 years' time? Is it useful at all?

What do you think of Facebook?

Facebook, MySpace and others like it do not interest me. I maintain a site on Myspace to contact my daughter, who is about 2,000 miles away from me right now, in college. Other than the occasional chat with her, I don't use it. I agree that the internet has degraded in quality since the advent of the social networking sites like Facebook. This is what NTs do for fun - post pictures of themselves after getting hammered and passing out on the floor. They have no sense of shame whatsoever, and now that companies are doing online background checks on people when they later compete for higher-paying jobs (once out of college or just out of high school), their prospective employers can sometimes be treated to pics of the applicant passed out on a couch with pissed-in pants and a hand soaking in a bowl of warm water. Most of this is perpetuated by youngsters who think it's just funny, and oh, nothing to worry about. Problem is they don't realize that these pictures can and will haunt them later on in life. Anyone who posts such pictures of themselves online (either for laughs or shock value) is a complete idiot. With the current technology, our lives are documented these days - a lot more than we think - and so why anyone would do something that stupid is utterly beyond my understanding.

Oh, and anything worth reading in 20 years? There's nothing worth reading there now!

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2008, 7:46 pm

I seriously have NO problem with facebook, myspace and other social networking sites; neither how it's "mindless".

Sounds like internet nativism; attack the new guys/arrivals.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 10:28 am

Facebook and MySpace should be used to meet women (albeit unsuccessfully). :)

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 12:00 pm

NeantHumain...

Are you SURE you wouldn't rather use Facebook and Myspace to meet women *successfully* instead? :D

M