what is it with Asperger's people and anime?

Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kid020
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2008, 8:28 am

Im not trying to be critical but as an NT who has Asperger's friends I've noticed people with Asperger's are really into anime. I like anime too, however Im talking about people that have seen just about every episode of Inuyasha, Bleech, Romen fighter mikki, Azumangha Daioh, and can quote every episode and thats frankly all they talk about. What is it with the anime obsession anime is ok but its not the whole world?

sim
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 8:44 am

The real world is imperfect.

I think that's all which is really necessary to say....

edit: Okay, I realize how little information that actually is.

Think of it like this: The real world has a ton of situations happening all around us, even around a single person there are millions of things that could go wrong. Or right. But the probability of something going right is never strictly determinable. So that means there are random chances of good and bad things happening all the time. This tends to freak a lot of us out, and is the reason for isolation for a lot of us. Anime is different. It's unreality, a cartoon, a 2D world governed strictly by the characters and the plot they're confined too. When you choose to watch an anime, you choose to live in that world, and you choose to accept absolutely the events ocurring in said world. And anime just so happens to be one of the forms of media that evokes emotion rather readily, given the often times over dramatic and fast-paced nature of it. So it is stimulating to those of us who find it too troublesome to play through social rituals just to feel friendship and happiness.

(Bleach, Inuyasha, and Azumanga Daioh are awesome, by the way.)

Fretion
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2008, 9:30 am

It's not all Aspies either ... oh, I like Anime well enough, but I couldn't quote squat, I just enjoy it.

However, Aspies do tend to have an obsession, and Anime is something easy to obsess over. My main obsession is a video game. Even there though, I don't take it quite as far as some. Before video games, it was books, particular books, by particular authors. But it can be anything at all. Baseball cards, auto's, sports stats, doesn't matter.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 9:31 am

Anime is huge with teens of all flavours.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 9:58 am

I like anime because it is a nice fantasy world where I can read emotions easily. There is normal character, then they add embarrassment, or anger, or sadness, or nevous, or whatever. Thare are no subtle hints, or shades of emotions. Even if they are trying to hide thier emotions, they show the acting emotion looking at the other characters and the true emotion to the audience as thoughts.
I also like the way most of the characters look and the story lines.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 10:19 am

I am not in I have watched a couple, but that is it) :?

There are many NT kids I knew in school that were obsessed over anime too :?

Trugen
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 10:54 am

sim wrote:
The real world is imperfect.

I think that's all which is really necessary to say....

edit: Okay, I realize how little information that actually is.

Think of it like this: The real world has a ton of situations happening all around us, even around a single person there are millions of things that could go wrong. Or right. But the probability of something going right is never strictly determinable. So that means there are random chances of good and bad things happening all the time. This tends to freak a lot of us out, and is the reason for isolation for a lot of us. Anime is different. It's unreality, a cartoon, a 2D world governed strictly by the characters and the plot they're confined too. When you choose to watch an anime, you choose to live in that world, and you choose to accept absolutely the events ocurring in said world. And anime just so happens to be one of the forms of media that evokes emotion rather readily, given the often times over dramatic and fast-paced nature of it. So it is stimulating to those of us who find it too troublesome to play through social rituals just to feel friendship and happiness.

(Bleach, Inuyasha, and Azumanga Daioh are awesome, by the way.)

'nuff said

Omni: Temp
Face of Madness: Myself :twisted:

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 11:00 am

I'm not interested in anime.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Zane
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2008, 11:32 am

Anything that can help me remove myself from reality I am down for.

I was obsessed now I am moderately entertained.

I prefer books and manga.

Shinmizu
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2008, 12:59 pm

Possibly the fact that animation tends to be exaggerated due to limitations of the medium--the facial expressions, emotions, etc. of characters in anime are far, far easier to determine with reasonable accuracy than those of real people. I guess it's an, "Oh, I get how they are, and can actually (sym/em)pathize with them" reaction.

I don't understand the appeal of Dragonball, though.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 1:28 pm

I honestly can't stand anime. I've had lots of friends who have liked it in the past, but the last thing they could ever do was get me into it. I prefer American or Canadian animation, or anything semi-realistic like 'All Grown Up' and 'Hey Arnold'.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 3:41 pm

I used to be really big into anime but not so much anymore, I guess I grew up. I still watch a couple but not because they're anime. I like the ones with good storylines. :)

HurrMark55
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2008, 5:11 pm

I have absolutely no interest in anime...or sci fi or fantasy (I left in the middle of Lord of the Rings, I was so bored :lol: )

sim
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 6:22 pm

Shinmizu wrote:
Possibly the fact that animation tends to be exaggerated due to limitations of the medium--the facial expressions, emotions, etc. of characters in anime are far, far easier to determine with reasonable accuracy than those of real people. I guess it's an, "Oh, I get how they are, and can actually (sym/em)pathize with them" reaction.

I don't understand the appeal of Dragonball, though.

When I was 10 my naivety made me believe it was the most dramatic series ever.

Now I just watch it as a point of humor. But I still think turning super saiyan is cool.

ZiiP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2008, 9:27 pm

I will have to agree with Mudboy and Shinmizu. The clear surroundings, easy to understand facial expressions and easily categorizable emotional response, make it ideal television series. They are often centered on fiction and action, which tend to fuel my imaginary worlds.

The characters do not look human, so I don't need to worry about anyone getting hurt. If an anime-character get hurt - so what? It is not human so I feel no guilt witnessing it. I guess the same thing can be said about manga art.

Mudboy wrote:
I like anime because it is a nice fantasy world where I can read emotions easily. There is normal character, then they add embarrassment, or anger, or sadness, or nevous, or whatever. Thare are no subtle hints, or shades of emotions. Even if they are trying to hide thier emotions, they show the acting emotion looking at the other characters and the true emotion to the audience as thoughts. I also like the way most of the characters look and the story lines.

Shinmizu wrote:

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 12:42 am

I was never really interested in watching anime - i loved drawing anime characters in middle school, though. It's been years since I've done something like that. I'd create my own tv shows and stuff all the time with specific characters, it probably fueled my interest in sociology and people in general. There are still traces of that in my artwork to this day.